Sarahnick

Filing I-90 (GC arrived with errors) (merged threads)

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Yesterday I recieved my GC unfortunately a 10 year card and not the 2 year conditional card I was supposed to have. I have made an info pass and hopefully they can issue me the i551 stamp? So I still can travel, considering to keep my GC until after vacation..

Anyway another concern now is - what will I use as proof of work authorization? Will my EAD still be valid even tho my GC have been approved?

Because we spoke to a lady yesterday who said I couldn't travel now with my AP since I had GC?!

Like ahm I am so confused, what are the rules about this?? If and when I send my GC for correction it may take around 5 months? To get it back.........

Who do I turn to to sort this out? Info pass?

Uscis didn't exactly give us much (funny since they approved and made the mistake but don't know the rules...)

They likely will not give you an I-551 stamp until you have filed an I-90 to replace your erroneous green card.

Your EAD should still be an acceptable document to demonstrate you are authorised to work.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

We are going through this at the moment (received wrong date of birth rather than expiry date),

Hypnos is right - EAD will work fine whilst you wait (probably 6 months) for the new GC from your I-90.

Do you have an SSN? if so you can self-check on USCIS's e-verify site (https://www.uscis.gov/mye-verify/self-check) - if there is an issue on that site, you should be able to bring it up at your infopass once you've filed your I-90 -or- pop into your nearest social security office and explain the issue.

Here is our time line on the I-90 process so far -

- Called USCIS immediately after seeing wrong details on the GC, Woman was super helpful and gave us advice on filing the I-90.

- Include a cover letter and state clearly its *their* fault (or they will charge you for the new GC).

- We completed the paperwork that evening, and took photos to support our case (for us it was scans of passport, EAD card, drivers license and birth certificate and showing that we even had an RFE on the birth certificate!).

- 1 week before xmas - Had USPS overnight it to Phoenix the next morning

- 10th January, NOA1 accepting case, requests us to signup for an ELIS account.

- 15 January, Biometrics appointment request,

- 22 January, Biometrics appointment,

- 23 January, USCIS waves GC replacement & biometrics fee's yay!

We've had nothing since then, so guessing its in a pile of other I-90's waiting to be processed, the lady that conducted the biometrics told us that even an expedited case request (that we requested), will still take up to 6 months from I-90 file to GC in hand, and that we could now request an Infopass to receive the passport stamp for travel.

K-1 Visa Journey:

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate: London, United Kingdom

Engaged in Greece: 2014-04-20

I-129F Sent: 2014-05-30

NOA1: 2014-06-05

RFE: 2014-11-12

RFE Reply Received: 2014-11-20

NOA2: 2014-12-09

Case Sent to NVC: 2014-12-12

NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 2014-12-16

NVC Received Case: 2014-12-19

NVC Case Number Assigned: 2014-12-19

Case Sent to Consulate: 2014-12-23

Case "Ready" at Consulate: 2015-01-05

Medical: 2015-01-12

Interview: 2015-02-11 APPROVED!!!!!

Visa Received: 2015-02-20 :)

US Entry Date: 2015-04-11

Married at NYC City Hall: 2015-04-17

AOS Journey:

I-485/I-131/I-765 Sent to Chicago Lockbox: 2015-04-23

NOA1: 2015-05-04

RFE: 2015-05-22

Biometrics: 2015-05-26

RFE Reply Received: 2015/07/10

EAD/AP Approved: 2015/08/28

AOS Approved: 2015/11/23 :dancing:

GC Recieved: 2015/12/3 - WRONG DATA!!! :cry:But I passed my NY State drivers test on the same day!

I-90 Filed: 2015/12/4
NOA 1: 2016/1/2
Biometrics: 2016/1/20
Expedite case request: 2016/4/4
Infopass appointment: 2016/4/15
Expedite case approved: 2016/4/20

NEW GC Recieved: 2016/4/27 :)Drivers license 'temp visitor' removed: 2016/5/11 (now a people again!!!)

Timeline

Exactly the information everyone seen to say about it.

But so like...

Say I keep my GC for vacation, can I use it to re enter? Everything is correct on it only expiration date is wrong.

If I send it away and wait for noa1 my vacation will be long over before I can get the i551 stamp.

I'm like so confused and truly upset about this and really don't want to risk not getting back not risk the trip. Like what the....... :(

Timeline

Would it otherwise cause problems keeping the 10 year rather than applying for a 2 year gc?

Yes and no. I could keep it and pretend like nothin BUT I know the rules are different for someone who hasn't been married 2 years so I would want to have it corrected rather than living with it in the back of my head.

Filed: Timeline

Would it otherwise cause problems keeping the 10 year rather than applying for a 2 year gc?

Because a conditional permanent resident is required to file for Removal of Conditions in the 90-day window before the 2 years runs out. If they don't do that, they can later be found to have lost permanent residency and have to start over again. If they keep the 10-year card but file for ROC in the proper time, maybe it will work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The right thing to do would be sending the card back and wait for the correct one.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Yes and no. I could keep it and pretend like nothin BUT I know the rules are different for someone who hasn't been married 2 years so I would want to have it corrected rather than living with it in the back of my head.

Even though keeping the green card is tempting I would advice you to avoid it. Traveling and having a green card with mismatched information with passport or DHS file could cause problems entering the US. CBP will than blame you for not taking necessary steps to fix the problem and they might deny you entry.

Best thing to do:

file I-90 and indicate clearly where the mistake is and have them correct it. You should NOT pay a dime for the new card.

Fixing that 10 year card when you should've got a 2 year one will save you later if you apply for citizenship. I seen somebody who had a looot of trouble when he had the same exact mistake.

Good luck.

Oh After receiving the NOA1 for fixing the problem you should be able to get an I551 stamp on your passport and you should be fine to travel freely.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah i would 100% make an info pass bc it is written wrong, and in the USCIS system they have your information and know you need to ROC within 2 years so their mistake could really screw you up!

Greencards are misprinted all the time!!!! just go in there and tell them and they will fix it for free:)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would show your work the 10 year GC card bc your alien number wont change.. it will be the same.. when you get the 2 year card the alien number wont change!

You must get the 2 year GC to prevent future problems!

So you need to show your work the GC and put the alien number on the i9 dont tell them you got the wrong card ect...it will just confuse your employer and make them worry THEY are doing something wrong.

Then you MUST call USCIS and get the new card with the 2 year expiry date! If you want once you get the new card go back to your old work and have them update it.. but the Alien number will be the same, just the Expiration will be different..

I wouldnt worry about it until you got your new 10 year card (in 2 years). Then i would bring that card to your work (providing you are still working there) and tell them you have a new GC and have them put that new one on file.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

So I received my green card a few weeks ago with an error. Supposed to get the 2 yr conditional card but got the 10yr, now about to file I90 to have this corrected.

What are the supporting documents I need to file with it to make sure USCIS knows they did the error and not me?

*I90 form

*green card

*COPY or certified marriage certificate?! (If even needed?)

Anyone who can direct me to the correct forum or another similar thread about this?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Same/similar on-going threads merged, no need for new thread~

~Continue with on-going thread~

~Moved from WST-based AOS to Fam.-based AOS Forum~

~Adjusted from K1 visa~

(mod hat off)

Please thoroughly read the attached USCIS link and associated instructions on how to fill out the Form I-90, in order to get the proper GC at no charge, due to USCIS error: https://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.