BiancaZuniga

Translation for documents

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi guys, I'm currently in the process of filing the petition to get married.

One problem I have run into is that I know certain documents need to be translated. Unfortunately, my SO is from Venezuela where it can be very difficult to have them certified professionally. To do that an appointment needs to be done weeks or months ahead, especially with the situation becoming worse there. Would it be okay for him to do it himself? Hes fluent in English and would have no trouble doing so.

Hi Bianca,

This info might be able to clarify the answers you seek for your issue. Good luck! :)

If a translation is required, here is how to deal with this.

What Your Translation Must Include

You will need to submit both:

• a copy of the original document, and

• a certified, word-for-word translation.

A copy of the original document is needed to demonstrate that it's the real thing. Even if the immigration authorities can't read what it says, they need to see what it looks like, and compare it to their internal guidelines regarding what constitutes an acceptable document from your country. If, for example, it is missing the government stamps that the immigration officials are accustomed to seeing on such a certificate, it might be rejected.

A "word-for-word" translation is just what it sounds like: Not a summary, but an exact transcription of every word on the document, even if they seem irrelevant.

Who Should Do the Translation

You do not necessarily need to spend money hiring a certified translator. Any trustworthy friend who is fluent in English and the language of the document and is not your close relative is allowed to do the job. That person should, after typing out the (word-for-word) translated text, add the following language at the bottom:

I certify that I am competent to translate from [the language of the document] to English and that the above [identify the document and to whom it pertains; for example, “Birth Certificate of Maritza Malakoff”] is a correct and true translation to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Signed: [translator’s full name]

Address: __________________________________

Telephone: ________________________________

Date: _____________________________________

If you prefer, however, you can hire a professional translator. That person should also add the same certification at the bottom of the translation.

NB: THE PETITIONER OR BENEFICIARY CANNOT TRANSLATE THE DOCUMENT.

Edited by Amadia
IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Bianca,

This info might be able to clarify the answers you seek for your issue. Good luck! :)

A copy of the original document is needed to demonstrate that it's the real thing. Even if the immigration authorities can't read what it says, they need to see what it looks like, and compare it to their internal guidelines regarding what constitutes an acceptable document from your country. If, for example, it is missing the government stamps that the immigration officials are accustomed to seeing on such a certificate, it might be rejected.

A "word-for-word" translation is just what it sounds like: Not a summary, but an exact transcription of every word on the document, even if they seem irrelevant.

You do not necessarily need to spend money hiring a certified translator. Any trustworthy friend who is fluent in English and the language of the document and is not your close relative is allowed to do the job. That person should, after typing out the (word-for-word) translated text, add the following language at the bottom:

I certify that I am competent to translate from [the language of the document] to English and that the above [identify the document and to whom it pertains; for example, “Birth Certificate of Maritza Malakoff”] is a correct and true translation to the best of my knowledge and belief.

If you prefer, however, you can hire a professional translator. That person should also add the same certification at the bottom of the translation.

Who says the petitioner or beneficiary cannot translate the document? They most certainly can. ANYBODY who is fluent in both languages can translate them and certify it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

My finance needed to have documents translated for his interview. He sent me a pdf, I had it translated and sent the certified translated document back to him. I used Global Language Services. I emailed the document to Global, they quoted me the price and I paid by credit card. They then mailed the document to me. There are also other translation services online and if you live in near a big city there are probably local translation services.

Hi Bianca,

This is incorrect. ANYONE can do the translation, including the petitioner or beneficiary. This is exactly what USCIS requires (from https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing):

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

Please note that this applies to translations submitted to USCIS only, NOT translations submitted to the embassy for the interview. Each consulate will have their own rules regarding translations. Some countries do not require a translation and will accept documents in the country's native language.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

The US embassy in Venezuela doesn't require translated documents. It says clearly in their website you can submit those in english or in spanish. I submitted mine in spanish

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline

My finance needed to have documents translated for his interview. He sent me a pdf, I had it translated and sent the certified translated document back to him. I used Global Language Services. I emailed the document to Global, they quoted me the price and I paid by credit card. They then mailed the document to me. There are also other translation services online and if you live in near a big city there are probably local translation services.

This seems like an awesome idea!

Timeline

The US embassy in Venezuela doesn't require translated documents. It says clearly in their website you can submit those in english or in spanish. I submitted mine in spanish

Do you know where on the website? We just want to make sure everything goes smoothly.

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Bianca,

I have throughout the last 13 years sent multiple Spanish (from Venezuela) documents with their translations, plus certifications and notarizations regarding multiple different immigration procedures (student visa, green card, citizenship and petitioning for a relative).

What I have ALWAYS done is, I asked the interested party in Venezuela to obtain the ORIGINAL document, then they have scanned it and sent it to me, (making it a copy) then I have translated it here in the US from Spanish to English (shop around online for local Spanish to English translators in your area, pick one that is certified by the American Translators Association - see here: http://www.atanet.org/ - and has the best prices for you)... They should give you a certified and notarized (certification and notarization is usually an extra cost aside from the translation itself) translation, and you can keep the original translation, original certification and original notarized document (scan them, so you always have a copy).

Then you can send either USCIS or NVC or any organization that needs it, the document as follows:

- Copy of the English translated document

- Copy of the Certification of the Translation

- Copy of the Notarization of the Translation (sometimes both the Certification and Notarization come in one page)

- Copy of the original document in Spanish

Some translators will give you a lower rate if you send the document already translated by yourself. They still have to check it and fix anything as they see fit, in order to certify that it is a true and accurate translation of the original.

But you certainly cannot translate, certify and notarize the documents yourself, unless you are in fact a accredited translator and a Notary.

I know all about this, not only from my previous experience with all my cases, but I also used to work at a Translation Services company.

Hope this clarifies it for you and everyone else.

MW

CURRENT PROCESS:
I-130 for Mom in Venezuela (Approved) - On To NVC Processing
MM - DD
03-13 - Sent I-130 Package To Phoenix, AZ
03-14 - Package Delivered
03-19 - Received Text from USCIS case was received, and Receipt #.
03-19 - Received E-mail from USCIS case was accepted and routed to USCIS Nebraska Service Center
03-19 - Opened account on USCIS.gov to check case status
03-23 - Received the Form I-797C Notice of Action Priority Date March 16th, 2015
08-06 - Received e-mail notice RFE Letter would be sent.
08-10 - Received RFE (PROOF OF NAME CHANGE for Mom)
08-19 - Sent RFE Response
08-21 - USCIS Received my response to RFE
08-21 - Received e-mail notice "Your Case Status: Request for Evidence Response Review"
09-01 - Received e-mail I-130 was approved
I-130 Approved in 172 days - 5.65 Months
09-10 - I-797, Notice of Action sent to me by mail
09-14 - Received I-797, Notice of Action I-130 Approved
09-17 - Received Text from USCIS case status is updated online
09-17 - Received Email from USCIS: Case Was Sent To The Department of State
09-17 - Checked online status: Case Was Sent To The Department of State
09-22 - NVC Received my case
10-01 - NVC Assigned Case Number
10-02 - NVC Date of Welcome Letter to Petitioner
10-05 - NVC Welcome Letter Envelope Postage Stamp Date
10-06 - Called NVC and got Case # and Invoice #
10-06 - Logged in Online and Completed COA form DS-261 & AOS Payment
10-08 - Called NVC - Case still locked for approval of COA & Payment of IV Fee
10-09 - Received NVC Welcome Letter, AOS Bill & Document Cover Sheet
10-14 - Called NVC Got COA Reviewed Over The Phone
10-15 - Received IV Fee Invoice By Email
10-16 - Paid IV Fee
10-19 - IV Fee Appears as PAID and DS-260 IV Application OPEN
MM - DD
03-31 - Sent AOS & IV Packets to NVC Overnighted
04-01 - Packages delivered to NVC
04-02 - Completed and Submitted DS-260 IV Application Online
04-02 - NVC SCAN DATE
05-02 - CASE COMPLETE!
05-09 - Received CC Email from NVC
05-09 - Received letter Re: updated mailing/email address for this case ???
05-16 - Received Email with INTERVIEW DATE (P4)
05-19 - Received actual INTERVIEW DATE (P4) letter in the mail
05-25 - NVC Sent Case To Embassy (CEAC Status Changed to In Transit)
06-28 - INTERVIEW DATE
06-28 APPROVED in 468 days FROM I-130 NOA1- 15.38 Months
08-28 - Point Of Entry POE Miami International Airport - Miami, Florida
09-09 - Received Social Security Number Card in the Mail (Middle Name Cut Off)
10-04 - Received Text & Email of Updated USCIS.gov Case Status: New Card Being Produced
10-07 - Received Text & Email of Updated USCIS.gov Case Status: New Card Has been Mailed

• 5 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
Hola,

Estamos estamos investigando acerca de la visa K-1 para casarsnos el próximo año. Tenemos una pregunta sobre el procedimiento para obtener la carta de antecedentes penales. En este momento, las cosas son muy confusas en Venezuela debido al gobierno y queremos asegurarnos de que no hacer algo que luego lamentemos. Hemos escuchado a varias personas perder su viaje a Caracas para obtener los antecedentes penales, simplemente porque no escribieron el nombre correcto. ¿Qué nombre debemos escribir "Embajada de los Estados Unidos de América o Embajada de los Estados Unidos de América en la República Bolivariana de Venezuela". Hemos oído que el nombre fue cambiado recientemente y también se debe añadir República Bolivariana de Venezuela. Sin embargo, algunas persona dicen que no es cierto.

Este proceso no es fácil en Venezuela, debido a cuestiones políticas come he mencionado y no quieremos tener ningún retraso en el proceso de la visa K1.

Gracias,

Annel y Morgan

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I had the same problem. I sent an email to USCIS and this the replay:

Good morning,

Thank you for contacting Lockbox Support. We refer you to our website, www.uscis.gov/I-129F, where complete forms, filing instructions, and fee guidance are available at no charge. Within the instructions, you will find information under the section “What Evidence Must You Submit.”

Please note any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct. The translator must certify that he/she is competent to translate the foreign language into English. But it is not necessary to have the translation notarized. Please refer to the following site for additional information: http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing.

As you are outside of the U.S., you can make an appointment at make an appointment at your nearest USCIS field office or U.S. Embassy or consulate, to speak with an Immigration Services Officer or Department of State Embassy or Consular official, who can talk with you about your specific circumstances and help to ensure you are filing the appropriate forms, with the appropriate documentation, for the benefit you are seeking.  A list of international U.S. immigration field offices can be found at the following web site: http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-immigration-offices. If there is not a USCIS field office near to you, then you may be able to obtain assistance by contacting the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate, http://www.usembassy.gov.

picture?folder=default0%2FINBOX&id=43447&uid=image003.png%4001D3DD4B.01CE9D80Elizabeth

The Lockbox Support Team

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

email us at: lockboxsupport@uscis.dhs.gov

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.