jeffkadrliktorr

Getting ready to remove conditions

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I haven't posted on here for a while. At the end of October I'm gonna be able to apply to remove the conditions from my green card. It's early still, but like everything

throughout my immigration process I like to be over prepared.

I've been getting evidence of my relationship together and just wanted to see what you guys think of my list of evidence.

1) Shared utility bills (power & cable)

2) Letters/ Notices addressed to both of us from the bank

3) Christmas/Other cards from family/friends with both of our names on them (including envelopes with our names/address)

4) Pictures of us together, including pictures that have friends/family in them

5) Joint tax returns for 2014/2015

6) 2 affidavits from friends confirming we're in a legitimate relationship

Do you guys think this is enough?

my cellphone bill has our address but only my name on it, should i bother including that?

should i include a document showing that my husband is covered on my car insurance?

we're planning on booking a cabin in the woods for our wedding anniversary next month, so i'm sure i will include any documents from that

thank you guys in advance, i appreciate any help/advice!

Hi, your list is good but you can add more evidence to make your case solid. USCIS looks at two big factors: joint finances and residence. The things you listed such as pictures, affidavits, cards are fine to include but they're secondary forms of evidence.

For joint finances, I would definitely include joint checking and/or savings bank statements, not sure if that's what you meant by bank letters. Instead of tax returns, I would include tax transcripts which are free from the IRS. Do you both have joint health insurance and any other insurance? Definitely include car insurance. If your cellphone bill has the name of your spouse under his phone number (if you have a family plan), then you can definitely include it. I'm not familiar with call phone carriers but I know AT&T does this.

To show joint residence, you can add letters and cards addressed to both of you from others but I would include government documents such as both driver's licenses showing shared address as well. Also do include your house leases if you rent, or documents of purchase from the time you got married.

Make sure that you can easily avail of all monthly statements from the inception of your marriage till your time of filing. Generally consensus here is to submit at least quarterly statements for each account but many have submitted from every month.

Also consider including wills and healthcare power of attorneys to each other as forms of very solid evidence. Good luck!

Hey, thanks so much for your reply!

I can definitely get joint checking/savings bank statements. This may be a stupid question, but I have a tax transcript from 2014 (and I can request one for 2015). The document I have is 99 pages, do we have to include all of the pages?

Neither of us have ever had health insurance. We both have car insurance, but it's not joint. My husbands grandma pays for his insurance and just sends him the documents he needs. I pay for my own insurance. My husband is included on my car insurance as a covered driver, would proof of him being covered be good evidence?

With cellphones. My husband has a line on a friend of ours account, because our friend gets a large discount as a T-Mobile employee. So I have my own account and my husbands name appears nowhere on my bill. It does show our joint address on the bill, that's why I was wondering if I should include my bill anyway.

That's a good idea about including drivers licenses! Both of ours has the same address printed on it, so I definitely send copies of that.

Do you guys think it's a red-flag if I don't include a copy of a lease agreement? My husband and I live in the same house and always have, but I was just never added to the lease agreement, and our landlord never mentioned anything about it, so we just kinda rolled with it. (stupid idea looking back now)

I literally sent in everything that you listed here back in July for my husband's removal of conditions. At the beginning of January, we received a letter saying our evidence was INSUFFICIENT. Be very careful. They want to see "financial comingling". Don't make the same mistakes we did. I just sent in our packet of other evidence two days ago and am praying it's going to be enough. You should send in statements showing a joint bank account, any kind of loans with both of your names, credit cards with both of your names and joint assets (car titles with both names or mortgages, etc). I called and asked what they wanted. They basically are looking for long-term liabilities together, otherwise it looks like a "roommate" situation. That is what I was told by one of the officers when I called. Even having insurance paperwork isn't enough. Get a joint bank account, credit card, or some kind of loan together, STAT!!

I've downloaded all of our statements from our joint checking/savings account

The only credit cards we have are under my name only. My husbands credit score is really bad, he couldn't even get a job at a cash loan place because of it. With his credit score being so bad, i'm not even sure if we could get a joint loan/credit card

the title to my car is under my name only, maybe i could see about getting my husband on it too?

We definitely aren't going to have a shared mortgage before October, I didn't think we ever would honestly, due to my husbands terrible credit. Since my credit score is good, we were

just getting everything under my name. (his credit is seriously bad to the point where it seems unrepairable)

Quick update: I added my husband as an authorized user to one of my credit cards

so at this point, in regards to "financial co-mingling" we would be able to provide

- Bank statements for joint checking/savings account

- Joint tax transcripts for 2014 & 2015

- Copies of shared credit card

- Copies are shared power bill

- Copies of shared internet bill

I'm also going to try and add my husband to the title of my car

Quick update: I added my husband as an authorized user to one of my credit cards

so at this point, in regards to "financial co-mingling" we would be able to provide

- Bank statements for joint checking/savings account

- Joint tax transcripts for 2014 & 2015

- Copies of shared credit card

- Copies are shared power bill

- Copies of shared internet bill

I'm also going to try and add my husband to the title of my car

Just wanted to add: the utility bills still might not be enough. I specifically asked about our electric and internet bill when I called and they said that's more of a "roommate" set up. So those probably won't be very strong evidence. I'm just trying to help you out. Are you sure you can't apply at a local credit union for some kind of small personal loan together? I actually work at a credit union that offers this thing called a "credit builder loan". They simply set up a loan for you to pay them back. You don't even get to access any funds. This type of loan is specifically to help people with terrible or no credit. Ask around your local area. Credit unions are excellent financial institutions, either way. See if they can help you out!

You really really should at least try to get some kind of loan. From what I gathered, loans in both names are the strongest types of evidence, because it shows you have TRULY committed to each other for long-term in a financial way (money is a huge thing to them).

Just wanted to add: the utility bills still might not be enough. I specifically asked about our electric and internet bill when I called and they said that's more of a "roommate" set up. So those probably won't be very strong evidence. I'm just trying to help you out. Are you sure you can't apply at a local credit union for some kind of small personal loan together? I actually work at a credit union that offers this thing called a "credit builder loan". They simply set up a loan for you to pay them back. You don't even get to access any funds. This type of loan is specifically to help people with terrible or no credit. Ask around your local area. Credit unions are excellent financial institutions, either way. See if they can help you out!

You really really should at least try to get some kind of loan. From what I gathered, loans in both names are the strongest types of evidence, because it shows you have TRULY committed to each other for long-term in a financial way (money is a huge thing to them).

I really appreciate your help, I just want my evidence to be as strong as possible. I will definitely look into getting some type of loan. I've never heard of a "credit builder loan", I've heard of credit cards that serve the same purpose but not a loan, so maybe this would be a good option for us.

I really appreciate your help, I just want my evidence to be as strong as possible. I will definitely look into getting some type of loan. I've never heard of a "credit builder loan", I've heard of credit cards that serve the same purpose but not a loan, so maybe this would be a good option for us.

In the case of the credit union I work at, you don't need any credit history and they don't even take into account your credit score. You can even get a loan for $500 and a term of 3 months. This could really help out your husband!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.