naniani711

I feel like I'm living a nightmare

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys!

This forum was a wealth of info for me while applying.. we had our interview in NYC about 2 months ago and we thought it went amazingly well.

The interviewer was a funny and super nice lady.. she asked us a few basic quesitons and for the most part we chit chatted and laughed with her. It was super comfortable and totally not what I expected.

At the end she told me I would be receiving my card in the mail in 60 days or so.

We went out and celebrated thinking this awful process was finally over..

It has been a little over 60 days so I was getting scared and was about to inquire about my status.. thinking perhaps they misplaced a document or something like that.

Little did i know.. that would have been so much better than the reality..

today we got notice for a second interview... this time a Stokes aka the one where they separate and basically interrogate you because they believe you are committing fraud.

I can't stop crying and I'm an absolute mess. I know that it's not the end of the world but I am so confused why this happened.. we had a great interview .. to the point that I wasn't at all scared and I'm usually an anxious person!

I'm so confused what they found to be weird.. and if she didn't believe our marriage then why didn't she ask us more questions or want to see the evidence we brought..

or maybe it's something else and I have NO idea what it can be which only makes me more terrified.

I'm going t look for a lawyer tomorrow when I'm a little less upset.. I don't know what the point of this post is but I am in utter shock and I just feel like I needed to vent :(

Has anybody gone through this? any words of advice?

thank you all

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

The lawyer will not help at all, he can do nothing. Asking for a second interview is a normal thing to happen with some cases. Just go there and be be honest, answer their questions and provide them with what they need.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Timeline

What sort of proof did you provide? How long was your relationship? Country of origin? We need a bit more of your back story

Hi! Sorry my brain is a little scattered. We have been dating for close to 4 years and we were married last November. We are young (24 and 25) and we moved from Canada (he is a USC also). I was born in Russia though and mved to Canada when I was a kid (possible red flag?)

We provided bank statements, photos with both families, emails, facebook screenshots, joint leases for the past 2 apartments, me on his health insurance, utility bills in both our names, birthday cards, hotel and flight info for joint trip to Mexico, and flight itinerary for a trip for my mom's 50th birthday with my family etc.

I cannot remember right now off the top of my head but we had quite a bit... she didn't ask to see any of what we brought to the interview and said it was in our file. I brought extra and updated stuff that I was showing her as I went but she didn't really care.

It was the most casual interview.. she hardly would let me get a word in cause she wanted to talk about one of our vacations in detail.

Timeline

The lawyer will not help at all, he can do nothing. Asking for a second interview is a normal thing to happen with some cases. Just go there and be be honest, answer their questions and provide them with what they need.

Really? I have heard hiring a lawyer is crucial. Both for moral support/ prep and making sure they don't coerce your answers while in the interview.

It doesn't seem like a second interview is a "normal" thing to happen... it seems like it's a pretty terrible thing that happens when they suspect your are committing fraud and they are therefore trying to catch you in lies with the intention of denying your case..

Or am I just overreacting?

I just hear of cases with little evidence, strange discrepancies or huge age gaps and stuff and we're none of those things... and on top of that, our interview went so well!!!! she told me to expect my GC in the mail so when the doorman said I had a letter from USCIS I ran home from work soooo excited to FINALLY have my GC so I could go back to Canada and visit! I was looking up flights on the way...

This is the last thing I ever expected.. :(

Timeline

If you have a p you can go back to visit

I have my AP but was told I cannot leave the country til GC is in hand because I (potentially) overstayed as a tourist before applying for my AOS. Basically it took me longer to get the $ and documents together than expected.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have my AP but was told I cannot leave the country til GC is in hand because I (potentially) overstayed as a tourist before applying for my AOS. Basically it took me longer to get the $ and documents together than expected.

Wrong.

Timeline

Wrong.

Hold on... how so? 2 separate lawyers told me this during a consult.. I've read the same on the forum.. what about this is wrong? please explain... maybe I'm missing a detail or something but I'd like to hear your take.

Timeline

Hold on... how so? 2 separate lawyers told me this during a consult.. I've read the same on the forum.. what about this is wrong? please explain... maybe I'm missing a detail or something but I'd like to hear your take.

They are all wrong as per matter of Arabally.

https://cliniclegal.org/April2012/Newsletter/Parole

http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/14_1120_memo_arrabally.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

These interview officers are trained phycologists.. they can make u feel so comfortable to the point that u tell them things without knowing...same way, they can squeeze the truth out of you...If u have a stokes and you know u are genuine, why fear... just make sure u know a bit extra about yourselves and a bit more about everything... finally pray to the most high God...he rules in the affairs in men..there's nothing too hard for him

Overstays are forgiven once you apply for AOS through marriage. So you should be good for AP. Perhaps the second interview is because you adjusted from a tourist visa and overstayed that visa? To be extra sure that this isn't a case of someone thinking that a tourist visa is a green light to move, work, do what they want (this is a very, very, very common view-- people know it's not the "right" way but know that there are next to zero repercussions for doing this), and then marry a USC to get the papers in order once they realize they're out of status (which is also very, very, very common).

I am 100% NOT saying that you are doing this, just that maybe they 2nd interview a certain percentage of people with this specific set of circumstances and your number got drawn out of a hat.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Some other Canadians have been asked for second interviews lately. It seems to be those who are not natural-born citizens of Canada but those who naturalized after coming from another country.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Some other Canadians have been asked for second interviews lately. It seems to be those who are not natural-born citizens of Canada but those who naturalized after coming from another country.

True. There's a user on here named 10pmstalker with an almost identical issue

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.