AJ17

Starting K1 Visa for Moroccan Fiance

61 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm literally starting to put this together. I'm nervous because some people say we need an attorney but it's expensive and a lot of attorneys seem to bilk people for money. I was literally warned about this by many people and know of several with bad experiences with immigration lawyers...but sending in forms to the government make me nervous...

We filled out the form together when I was in Morocco, visiting my boyfriend - now fiance. However I'm not sure how to form the answer to 34 where it is not dismissive and not long.

Sorry - but does anyone know exactly what they want in this section?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

AJ

Our Story:

Met online through dating app because I had no idea how to limit the location.

Became friends through chatting.

Fell in love along the way.

Met in person in December and got engaged.

Filed petition in late February.

Got NOA February 26.

Got NOA2 April 28. Approved!

Got Notice from NVC dated May 13th that they are sending Application to Consulate.

Waiting for Consulate Interview Date.

Consulate says Ready for Interview - updated same status on 2 dates - June 17, July 14 and August 2nd.

Interview Date with Packet sent August 23, 2016.

Interview Date: September 9, 2016. Wish us good luck, please!

AP Waiting Hell: September 9 to present!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

How did you meet your fiancee? thru dating site? facebook?

introduced by a friend

Here they want to know about where and why you know him / not the meeting in morocco when you finally traveled to meet in person

I wish you had married and were applying for spouse visa as morocco denies many K 1's

best of luck to you

my husband is now here

be prepared to show everything about your relaionship to immigration

forget the lawyer / all they do is copy documents you give them and mail to USCIS

no support from any attorney

Edited by Adil & Jeanne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Are you also Morrocan? Did you meet him through Family connections, Religious connections what?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I am American and he is Moroccan. We met through a dating app. I haven't filed it yet. Do you think it is really better to marry and bring over as my spouse?

I read somewhere that they were delaying and denying spousal visas...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I plan to go to Morocco in March again to visit so if we need to do something there then, it's better to decide now.

Thanks!!!

Our Story:

Got NOA February 26.

Got Notice from NVC dated May 13th that they are sending Application to Consulate.

Consulate says Ready for Interview - updated same status on 2 dates - June 17, July 14 and August 2nd.

Timeline

Make more visits. Show proof.

K1is faster. Sony use antes lawyer. File your self. Italia is easy. A lot of k1approved last year. Some peoples say casablanca is bad. But not true. If you have all perfect so file and save all proof... Good luck

Timeline

So you are of the same religion? How many times have you visited? For how long?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I plan to convert in March when I visit again. This is because he wants to make sure our marriage will be recognized in Morocco too.

The first was in December for 2 weeks and in March, I will be there for 2 weeks.

I cannot visit again after March because of work deadlines. They will last on and off for the next few months - during which I also have to attend a conference away.

We have video logs that show we have been talking every day - and text logs from whatsapp and line.

Truth is he doesn't mind if I move to Morocco since work-wise it is easier for him, but my parents only have two children so we decided we should be in the USA so we can take care of my parents. His parents have his 8 other siblings to lean on.

I am also 10 years older than he is and we would like to get this started so we can try starting our family sooner than later.

Edited by AJ17

Our Story:

Got NOA February 26.

Timeline

So you have only visited once?

I am sure it will be much quicker for you to move. I was a similar position with aged parents but just more logical for me to make the move. I am sure they would understand.

Timeline

Just once so far.

No, they wouldn't. They're Chinese parents with only one child who will take care of them.

Also my job is better able to provide benefits and everything needed.

Our Story:

Got NOA February 26.

My advice would be to visit in March, then file for the K-1. Most applications go through Casablanca without any issues. It's true that some couples get stuck for years, but often times that is due to factors that they don't share here.

Don't stress the visa stuff. Just front load your application. However, your reason for converting religious seems a little off to me.

Timeline

Lol. Well, Morocco recognizes 0 marriages that are not of the combination of Muslim-Muslim, Muslim-CHristian, Muslim-Jewish.

I am Buddhist.

Ok. So after 2nd visit is better... We were hoping not to be separated for too much longer after March...but I suppose sometimes it can't be helped if it will make things easier.

I am still trying to write the 34 answer. I don't know how else to write that we met through a mobile dating app and graduated to whatsapp and line... How detailed should this statement be? Should I include our face to face visits?

Edited by AJ17

Our Story:

Got NOA February 26.

Alright. So you realize that a Muslim male marrying a Buddhist female is against Islam. The Consulate is definitely going to question his motives. Some of the red flags that they look at are meeting online, short time period of knowing each other, limited time in person together, age gaps, religious differences, and recent religious conversions. You guys tick a few of those boxes.

For Question 34:

(Petitioner) and (Beneficiary) began talking during (Month) 2015 on (Mobile App Name). (Petitioner) traveled to Morocco to meet (Beneficiary) in person on (Date).

That's all that is necessary. They are looking for HOW you became to know each other and WHEN you met in person.

Timeline

Thanks for your help!! I was truly at a loss.

Yes, I am very aware because my family, friends all questioned his motives. It took quite alot to overcome doubts but now I'm 100% sure he is sincere.

What about the proof of meeting and proof of continued relationship?

Our Story:

Got NOA February 26.

Since you will be facing some scrutiny, definitely file after your next trip. You will need to include proof of meeting such as boarding passes and passport stamps, any hotel receipts, etc.

You will need to provide a convincing argument for your relationship in the petition. Include with your petition any documents, pictures of the two of you with his family, and anything that you can think of that speaks to the validity of your relationship, even if these items are not required for the petition filing. It is often said from visa applicants in Casablanca that the decision to approve or deny the visa seemed to have made before the interview even started. Before the interview, the Consulate official will look through your entire petition file. Do not leave things out intending to present them at the interview, as often the applicants are not given the chance to provide more evidence at that time.

To file the petition you will need a letter of intent to marry within 90 days and a G-325A with original signatures from your fiance, along with his passport photos. Collecting these during your next visit saves some postage :) Good luck!

I wanted to add one other note since your friends and family are questioning his motives. This blurb comes from the US Embassy in Morocco website regarding marriage fraud. I think most of the guys are smarter than following through with the last point they highlight, but you get the idea. I just wanted to make sure you have seen this as it is not uncommon in Morocco. I have run across several victims of clear marriage fraud where the guy disappears as soon as his feet touch US soil, others that are more difficult to identify like disappearing shortly after receiving a green card and saving enough money to get their own apartment (yet somehow blaming the breakup on something else). I've also seen many many relationships end suddenly after a visa refusal.

http://morocco.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiance-visas.html

Internet Romance and Marriage Fraud

Many U.S. citizens befriend Moroccans through Internet dating and social networking sites and these relationships often lead to marriage or engagement. While many of the marriages between U.S. citizens and Moroccans are successful, the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca warns against marriage fraud. It is not uncommon for foreign nationals to enter into marriages with U.S. citizens solely for immigration purposes. Relationships developed via correspondence, particularly those begun on the Internet, are especially susceptible to manipulation. Often, the marriages end in divorce in the United States when the foreign national acquires legal permanent residence (“green card”) or U.S. citizenship. In some cases, the new U.S. citizen or permanent resident then remarries a wife he had divorced around the same time as he had entered into a relationship with the sponsoring U.S. citizen.

Some of the signs that an Internet contact may be developing a relationship with a U.S. citizen in order to obtain an immigrant visa through marriage are:

• Declarations of love within days or weeks of the initial contact;
  • Proposals or discussions of marriage soon after initial contact;
  • Requests to the U.S. citizen to visit the foreign national’s home country soon after the declaration of love or proposal;
  • Responses to messages from the U.S. citizen friend are along the lines “I love you/Sorry I missed your call,” or similarly one-sided conversations;
  • Once engaged, married, or an immigrant visa petition is filed, suddenly starts missing scheduled appointments to chat or call.

While chat rooms, dating, and social networking sites can be ways to make friends across international borders, the U.S. government urges U.S. citizens who meet foreign nationals on the Internet to keep in mind the signs noted above. Entering into a marriage contract for the principal purpose of facilitating immigration to the United States for an alien is against U.S. law and can result in serious penalties, including fines and imprisonment for the U.S. citizen and the foreign national involved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.