pretzelchoc23

My Green Card Interview - no approval on the spot.

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

So I had my interview in NY Federal Plaza today. My interview time was at 2:30pm and we had to through security after entering the building. We had to take off our shoes, belts and put all belongings on the belt to be scanned. We then went up to the 4th floor and went to the room indicated on the interview letter. We had to give the man behind the counter our letter and he then gave us a number and told us to go to another room. I do suggest getting to your meeting at least 30 minutes prior as we got there 15 minutes before and had to rush. We then sat and waited for our number to be called. About 3:00pm an asian lady called us and we went into a room with her. We had to take an oath and then we sat and she asked me for our original birth certificates, marriage certificate and ids. Unfortunately I did not have my birth certificate, my husband (the sponsor) did. I had to explain to the lady that my Mum had sent me my birth certificate from Australia over 2 weeks ago express and it still isn't here. I told her that I believe it was delayed due to Christmas and New Year. I gave her some colored scanned photos of it and she took a look. She then asked one of us to tell her how we met, our story etc. Then she asked for our proof of our marriage, I gave her everything - conversations between us, bus and travel tickets, life and medical insurance, rental agreement, rent checks, bank statement, credit card statement, receipts of gifts bought for each other including our ring receipts. She asked when I had moved to be with my husband and what was the address. She noticed we had moved apartments in the same complex and asked us why. Then she asked when we had moved back to NY and where did we live. She asked about the place we live in now and the address, how many rooms it has and how many floors does the building have. She also noticed that we had lived in two different apartments in the same address and asked us why. She definitely was a stickler for details. She made a comment that we get our apartment for a good price. She mentioned that we travel a lot and she asked when the last time was that we travelled. She then asked us for some photos and I had a lot....I had actually taped them onto paper and wrote captions under them. She mainly kept the photos with family and friends and kept a couple of us. I really think they care more about the photos with family and friends more than anything. She commented how young my husbands mum looked. She then asked us each for our spouses full name, date of birth, parents names. She asked us if we were working at the moment and I gave her some paystubs. She also asked me where my husband worked. She noticed my husbands paystubs had an old address that we used for our mail and asked us why it had this address. My husband told her that he hadn't changed it but I had told him to, he gets direct deposit so he honestly had forgotten about it. She asked a lot of questions.....I was kind of surprised as I know some people can only get asked a couple of questions. We were both really relaxed, and didn't really revise questions before hand as we know we have a real marriage and we both wanted to be natural. She gave us a paper saying that our case needs to be reviewed and no decision can be made yet. I really thought I would get a decision on my case today so I am little upset. Do you think I got a RFE as I didn't have my original birth certificate? I really hope I don't have to have a second interview. Can anyone shed some light? Their experience?

Timeline

I forgot to add that she told us that we will get a decision within 60 days. I was so tempted to ask her if we were approved but I didn't. She told us about how if I am approved I will receive my card and it will be valid for 2 years conditional residence and then before the 90 days is up I will have to apply to have the conditions removed......I just want an answer!!!! The waiting game begins..............

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

hi ! what visa did you use to enter the USA ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Visa Waiver. I did not have my I-94 in my passport though.....as I had lost it and had to get a new one along with my AOS.

I read that getting approved on the spot is rare. I had my interview and got the same result as yours and they approved it after 9 days. Just be patient :) good luck!

K1 VISA :)
02-25-2015: I-129f sent
03-03-2015: NOA1
03-25-2015: NOA2
04-29-2015: Medical (passed)
05-18-2015: Interview (approved) yay!
05-21-2015: Issued! ?
06-25-2015: US entry

AOS
09-16-2015: Sent AOS, EAD and AP packets
09-22-2015: NOA

10-15-2015: Biometrics

11-20-2015: EAD and AP approval

12-21-2015: Interview

12-30-2015: AOS approval :)

ROC

11-02-2017: I-751 sent

11-07-2017: NOA1

11-30-2017: Biometrics

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to WSTourist-based AOS Forum~

~Adjusting from Tourist/visitor-VWP~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I forgot to add that she told us that we will get a decision within 60 days. I was so tempted to ask her if we were approved but I didn't. She told us about how if I am approved I will receive my card and it will be valid for 2 years conditional residence and then before the 90 days is up I will have to apply to have the conditions removed......I just want an answer!!!! The waiting game begins..............

Your interview looks like it went well, it's just a waiting game now till you officially receive notification of approval. Not everyone gets approved on the spot though, as sometimes reviews have to be made with supervisors before approval within a couple of days or few weeks in majority of the cases or couple of months in some. By law USCIS has 120 days to give you a decision post interview, so if it delays that long make an infopass to "force" a decision. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take that long though as your case is typical to many ones here.

Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread shifted further from "AOS from WS&T Visas" main forum to the Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Honestly I dont think you should worry, I went through the same 5 years ago and the guy approved my application 2 days after my interview. You will get approved its just a waiting game now. Good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I read that getting approved on the spot is rare. I had my interview and got the same result as yours and they approved it after 9 days. Just be patient :) good luck!

Hello, sorry to butt in ..my AP was approved today, does it follow that my Employment Application is approved too? Thanks for your reply.

I arrived here on visa waiver also and was approved on the spot at the AOS interview. We were in and out in five minutes. But... I read on here all the time of a decision not being made straight away and that's seems fairly normal and standard. From what you have stated on here you guys answered each question well and submitted plenty of evidence. Im sure everything is fine. Keep us updated on when you hear anything else.

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

not sure if you lived here illegally for a while, that might be the reason why you got plenty of questions. you'll definitely be approved. i got approved on the spot and our lady even told me "welcome to america" which was kind of cute. you had a very tough interview considering the proofs you have, be proud of it :)

not sure if you lived here illegally for a while, that might be the reason why you got plenty of questions. you'll definitely be approved. i got approved on the spot and our lady even told me "welcome to america" which was kind of cute. you had a very tough interview considering the proofs you have, be proud of it :)

I was out of status nearly a year, not discussed, not brought up, never mentioned, never an issue. Overstay is generally forgiven when you apply AOS.

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I was out of status nearly a year, not discussed, not brought up, never mentioned, never an issue. Overstay is generally forgiven when you apply AOS.

yea it is forgiven, but a tougher interview wouldn't surprise me especially in a city like nyc where the "market" of fake marriages seems pretty common

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.