new american

i 864 - only 1 year of tax return when worked 3 years

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Belarus
Timeline
hi :)

I have all my package ready before adjustment of status based on marriage and i'm stuck on one thing which is my wife's tax return.

she has only 2014 tax return and 2013-2012 she doesn't have one because the employer paid her only cash. (she were 18-19 years old back than)

and they asking for last 5 years of employment and of course we added that job because she worked there over 3 years,

is it going to be a problem?

of course we have joint sponsor which makes over 80k and he attached the last 3 years of tax return.

the past 6 months she working for a corporate and have a steady tax withdrawal and pay stabs as a proof that she already made 12k this year and paid the tax that needed.

so is it going to be a problem that we will attach only 1 year of tax return and not 3 Aldo she worked 3 years in a job? thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

The law is that you must report ALL income when filing income tax. It does not matter whether paid in cash and whether any taxes were withheld by the employer, it is still taxable income. IMO claiming that your wife worked those years but did not file a tax return would be a red flag if it were to be noticed. However, if her income were below the filing threshold (the value of her standard deduction and her personal exemption) for the years in question, she may not have been required to file a return even though she did have earned income.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The law is that you must report ALL income when filing income tax. It does not matter whether paid in cash and whether any taxes were withheld by the employer, it is still taxable income. IMO claiming that your wife worked those years but did not file a tax return would be a red flag if it were to be noticed. However, if her income were below the filing threshold (the value of her standard deduction and her personal exemption) for the years in question, she may not have been required to file a return even though she did have earned income.

She would owe 15% payroll taxes (Social Security & Medicare) since the employer never paid them.

Timeline

So what are my options? She didn't filled since she didn't know the law and that is required. She was 18 years old with little knowledge about taxes... There is no any kind of proof that she even got paid... I dont mind to pay the tax she own

Timeline

Aaron is correct....she will owe payroll taxes for social security and medicare taxes at 15.3% of her earnings. She will not actually owe any "income tax" but must reconcile the payroll taxes on an income tax return for each of those two years. In addition to the regular 1040 form she will need to file a Schedule SE form to pay the payroll taxes.

Timeline

Since there are no w4 for 2 years and no record for employment, or any proof of employment.

What stopping me from just writr that she was unemployed and only worked 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If her income was below the filing threshold, then she would not have been required to file. Not sure why her employer was paying under the table and then changed to actually do it the legal way, but good thing they finally did.

If she was legally required to file and did not, then she needs to file the back taxes. I would say she should check with an accountant/tax adviser and ask them if they believe she is legally obligated to back file those 2 years. If not, then she needs to include a statement with the I-864 stating that she did not file those 2 years because her income was below the IRS filing threshold and she was not required to file.

~ Moved from Tax & Finances During US Immigration to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas - topic is I-864 for AOS ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Income is income , no matter the amount. It is a common misconception that if a taxpayer does not receive a form or if the income is under $600 per payer, the income is not taxable. There is no minimum amount that a taxpayer may exclude.

The reason this topic gets confusing for taxpayers is that the threshold for required reporting from the payor is $600. So, in other words, if payments are over $600 then the payor (the person or company paying the person) is required to file a federal form 1099-MISC.

To report this type of misc income, you either use a Schedule C or C-EZ. Also, you would need to include Schedule SE for self-employment taxes if the net profit exceeds $400 for a year. (On $5k of income, without any write-offs, you're probably looking at somewhere around $600/700 of self-employment tax based on a single status.)

As to how will the IRS know if you do or do not report it... they may or may not find out, but that's a risk you would be taking if you choose not to have the returns filed.

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

hi :)

I have all my package ready before adjustment of status based on marriage and i'm stuck on one thing which is my wife's tax return.

she has only 2014 tax return and 2013-2012 she doesn't have one because the employer paid her only cash. (she were 18-19 years old back than)

and they asking for last 5 years of employment and of course we added that job because she worked there over 3 years,

is it going to be a problem?

of course we have joint sponsor which makes over 80k and he attached the last 3 years of tax return.

the past 6 months she working for a corporate and have a steady tax withdrawal and pay stabs as a proof that she already made 12k this year and paid the tax that needed.

so is it going to be a problem that we will attach only 1 year of tax return and not 3 Aldo she worked 3 years in a job? thank you

Only the latest tax return is required to be sent in with an I-864.

The previous two are optional.

The USCIS is not the IRS and will not be auditng her tax return. That is an IRS issue. In my opinion, USCIS is not going to see she had an employer and start digging into if she filed correctly.

I believe you can file your AOS, which was your question.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Since there are no w4 for 2 years and no record for employment, or any proof of employment.

What stopping me from just writr that she was unemployed and only worked 2014

Hopefully your conscience would stop you. She owes payroll taxes for those years. I would hope that you would not start your life in the US by condoning tax fraud.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.