kyk503

Can you visit U.S. while applying for K-1 visa?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Like the title says, is it "safe" to visit United States on a tourist visa while the K-1 visa is in process? My fiance has heard some rumors relating to this, but ideology doesn't make sense to me.

Please clarify for us.

Thank you

You can as long as you make sure to provide proof that you intend on returning to your home country, or your fiances home country, which ever one is the visitor.

They can though, still turn you away even if you have proof that you intend on returning back to your home country, even if you feel the evidence is sufficient.

Things like a job contract, a home lease, some proof that the foreign fiance has plans that are solid to return back to their home country, something showing they have strong ties and won't just stay in the US.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Title of the thread answers your question, and you can find more details here.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

You can visit, but your visit will mostly likely be scrutinized. People have been turned away before if CBP officers felt there was a reasonable amount of risk that the visitor would not return to his/her home country when their stay is up.

Shorter visits are better. Make sure you have a return flight booked and can present documentation of this if asked.

You are encouraged to bring along documentation that proves you have ties to your country and therefore your incentive to return as planned is higher. For example and employment letter showing you have a job in your home country, and current loans/leases/credit cards you have in your home country, rental agreements, etc.

Things such as the amount luggage you are bringing with you can play into the decision too. Do not over-pack. Some suggest shipping any extra items separately to your destination through Fed-Ex or a similar service.

All of this is explained in the thread fairly well, so I am just being redundant at this point. Good luck!

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

My husband (fiancé at the time) always carried a copy of our K-1 paperwork in addition to some of the items above including copies of the NOA1 and NOA2 after we received them. It showed that we understood the process and were following the rules.

Like the title says, is it "safe" to visit United States on a tourist visa while the K-1 visa is in process? My fiance has heard some rumors relating to this, but ideology doesn't make sense to me.

Please clarify for us.

Thank you

So I'm assuming you understand that as somebody coming from South Korea, they are part of the Visa Waiver Program that allows this "loophole" to be used. Citizens from other countries, where a tourist visa is required for entry, this won't work.

First, yes it is "safe" and my wife has done it twice while we were waiting for our CR-1.

I think you may be stuck on the same thing I was, in that why would it be ok to enter the U.S. on tourist visa, when you're waiting for the U.S. to approve you coming into the country, under another visa type? And I have to agree that this doesn't make sense in a way. It's like saying "hey friend, I'm interested in buying your house that's on sale and I'm committed to going through all the proper legal motions....but first I'm just going to come during your open house, and squat in your bedroom for a few days". Who does that?

Apparently the VWP doesn't have a clause that says tourist visas can't be issued if there is already a pending visa application (I think). But even if there was, it's not being enforced, as long as you play by the rules. Most people on VWP and a pending K-1/CR-1 app are likely to follow the rules, and get approved. So USCIS has no need to be douches about this and let it slide for the most part. They know wait times are long, and usually last well past the 3 months of the VWP. So as long as you come and go under the rules of the VWP, I think they overlook the fact that you are technically in the country on one visa, while waiting for another to be approved.

The concern of USCIS is illegal immigrantion and fraud. They don't want people entering the country who don't care about entering (and staying) legally. So if you show up with 4 suitcases full of clothes, you're probably going to be turned away because you are showing signs of moving in, instead of just visiting. Most people with a pending K-1/CR-1 just come and go without even a question from USCIS, but in case they do, you have to prepared to show that you are planning, capable, and motivated to return to your home country within 3 months. The other thread somebody else mentioned here go through all the different types of documentation you should bring with you. But this has been done thousands of times over many many years, and will not jeopardize your K-1 (unless you overstay, violate some other rules of the VWP, or commit a crime, or something like that).

One caveat...if your K-1 gets approved while you are visiting on the VWP, you have to leave, then come back on that newly issued K-1 visa. You can't just stay here and get "converted" as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Yes, you can visit the US while waiting for your K-1 visa to come through. My wife (then fiancee) is a Korean national and visited me in the summer while we were still waiting on her K-1 visa. She got through custom no problem whatsoever; she was only asked a few quick questions before being admitted. That said, it's still best to have a return ticket on you or something that shows ties to your home country just in case.

Edited by CJ1226

I travelled to the States on the VWP while my K1 was pending and I had no problems what so ever. I was asked the purpose of my trip to which I replied to see my fiancé. I wasn't asked for any proof that I would be returning home.

K1-K2 VISA
FEBRUARY 2015 APPLIED FOR I-129F K1-K2
RECIEVED NOA1
AUGUST 2015 RECIEVED NOA2
SEPTEMBER 2015 SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
RECIEVED SYDNEY CASE NUMBER
CASE SENT TO THE SYDNEY EMBASSY
SEPTEMBER 2015 COMPLETED DS-160 K1-K2
OCTOBER 2015 MEDICAL COMPLETED
INTERVIEW - APPROVED
VISA ISSUED

DECEMBER 2015 ARRIVED INTO THE USA POA DALLAS TX 26TH DECEMBER
JANUARY 2016 MARRIED 29TH JANUARY
FEBRUARY 2016 SSN CARD RECIEVED

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
MARCH 2016 SENT AOS PACKAGE K1-K2 21ST MARCH                                                       JUNE 2016 RECIEVED GREEN CARD K1-K2 11TH JUNE
ARRIVED AT THE CHICAGO LOCKBAG FACILITY 23RD MARCH

APRIL 2016 RECIEVED NOA 1 FOR AOS/EAD/AP 5TH APRIL
RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENTS 30TH APRIL
MAY 2016 BIOMETRICS TAKEN 10TH MAY

AP/EAD APPROVED K1 13TH MAY

COMBO CARD ARRIVED 21ST MAY

JUNE 2016 APPROVED AOS (NO INTERVIEW) K1-K2 3RD JUNE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.