dave196

K1 Sponsorship and co-sponsorship questions.

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Good evening all,

My partner and I have just received our NOA2 approval letter.

We are both currently living in New Zealand, and have been here for the past 3 years.

My partner is a US citizen, and is not sure if her New Zealand income counts on the I-134. Her father has agreed to co-sponsor me, they live in the US.

Does she fill out the I-134 form as well with her New Zealand wages? (She has paid US taxes on all New Zealand income)

Or does she fill it out, but declare no US income?

Any information is really appreciated, as it is difficult to find information for when we are both living outside the US.

Also, are these forms sent away? Or do I hold onto them to take to my interview?

Based on my understanding the I-134 is only for the k1 period, and once we are in the US and my partner regains employment she will be able to sponsor my I-864 fully.

Thank you for your time and information in advance.

Dave.

Edited by dave196

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Will her current income continue?

I 864 comes into play when you file to adjust after marriage.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Current income abroad that will end when you move to the US will not be counted for sponsorship. You will need a co-sponsor.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Complete the form using the current NZ income. The joint sponsor will complete the form as well and supply all needed supporting documentation.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

She needs to file 864 instead of I-134 because of joint sponsor. She will be the primary and her father will be the joint sponsor and each one of them need to file I-864. Once after you are married and at the time of AOS she again needs to file and I-864 and if her income is above poverty level than don't need a joint sponsor.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

She needs to file 864 instead of I-134 because of joint sponsor. She will be the primary and her father will be the joint sponsor and each one of them need to file I-864. Once after you are married and at the time of AOS she again needs to file and I-864 and if her income is above poverty level than don't need a joint sponsor.

This is wrong. K1's do I-134, later during AOS they do I-864.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Incorrect unless the Embassy specifically requests an I-864.

K1 typically uses the I-134.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I thought in case of 'JOINT SPONSOR' then I-864 by they joint sponsor and the petitioner. I-134 if petitioner don't have a joint sponsor. I will double check and verify. Thanks.

I thought in case of 'JOINT SPONSOR' then I-864 by they joint sponsor and the petitioner. I-134 if petitioner don't have a joint sponsor. I will double check and verify. Thanks.

If you're K1 and you have a joint sponsor, you simply both fill out the I-134 and provide the same required information. I provided three I-134's along with all financial documents for my fiances interview, one for myself, my mother (original cosponsor), and our friend (second cosponsor the consulate requested).

The I-864 is almost ALWAYS for AOS/CR-1/IR-1 unless the consulate specifies it for K1, which almost none do.

Cosponsor and joint sponsor are words that people get mixed up and are sometimes used interchangeably, generally we (VJers) use Cosponsor and joint sponsor to mean K1 and AOS/CR-1/IR-1 respectively. Some people will get very irritated about it if they feel you're using the wrong word saying that X word means Y only and Z word means W only, ignore them. In the case of the consulates, they can use either or wording.

Example: On the documents asking for another cosponsor that we received at the interview, it said they requested a I-134 from a joint sponsor that met poverty guidelines. We're K1, the paper from the consulate itself clearly said joint sponsor. Some people would call that insanity as they ONLY associate those words with I-864's.

But either way, for K1 you use I-134 for primary and Co/joint sponsor, and for AOS/CR-1/IR-1 you use I-864 for primary and Co/joint sponsor. You will always both fill out the same form type unless otherwise instructed by the consulate. The wording Co or joint sponsor does not change the type of affidavit of support (I-134 or I-864), but the type of visa the person is seeking does.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No problem

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.