naire37

First weeks after K-1 POE - tips, tricks, our experience.

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share some of the things we've done that may be helpful to others. POE is, of course, cause for major celebration for all of us on the journey, USC and immigrants alike. It may take a while to go back into the planning / browsing forums / document gathering stage, and even when you do that, with wedding, insurances, medicals, and all that it's a bit less straightforward what you should be focusing on. So, I'm going to list what we've done and some lessons learned on the way.

1. Get SSN early. Here is VJ guide.

- some states require it for marriage

- you will need it for most of other legal papers

- tip: If possible, be at the office about 20-30 min before they open, it really saves time in my area, as the lines can get long.

Seriously, though. Do it on the first week if you can. You won't be able to get much done without it.

2. Credit Score / Finances (since mine is, ahem, showing a bit of reckless youth experiences, we wanted to start building my husband's Credit Score ASAP)

- if you trust your partner, add them as a joint holder to the banking account (we did it next day after POE). This is one of the very few action items you don't even need SSN for

- you will need SSN to apply for a Credit Card

- tip 1: on a lot of web sites when you apply for a Credic Card you can include USC income in the applicant's income, even though your partner is not working yet.

- tip 2: try applying to a bunch of cards on the same day. Same-day inquiries get bundled as one and don't hurt your non-existent Credit Score as much.

- tip 3: if you can, go to a bank where someone speaks your native language. They are more likely to help you get an Unsecured Credit Card (helps build up score quicker)

- tip 4: apply for DiscoverIt Card. Even if you don't get it, they will offer you a Secured DiscoverIt Card, and that's what will help you start building your credit history

- tip 5: pay all of your credit card accounts in full 3-4 times per month, that helps building the score. Try and diversify your accounts later (get a small car loan on a used car, or do a cell phone "loan" - anything that you pay of over the course of a few payments reflects positively on your score, as long as you make all of your payments on time)

- go over monthly budget with your partner and be as open about it as you can. In some countries, 100$ can buy a lot of things, so it will take a while to re-adjust to how much things cost. Go over things like Internet provider service costs, phone costs, mortgage, car lease, food. you partner is not allowed to work for (roughly speaking) 2 months after you filed AOS/EAD/AP; but they should still get how much life in America costs to have realistic expectations of things.

3. Medical

- tip: schedule the medical paperwork required for AOS done as soon as you can. Use USCIS find a doctor web site. Some of the doctors will tell you they are booked for next 2-3 months, but if you live near a city (I live in Boston) and have many options, just keep calling. If you call 20 of them, you will find one that allows booking appointment next week, if not next day. Just don't give up! You need this to file for AOS, so put it on your radar early.

- tip: make sure you get the results of the medical in a sealed envelope. Ask for a copy!

- tip: FLU shot! If you are applying for AOS in the flu season, having this year's flu shot is a must. No options. Try to get it done before the medical, or doctor will be more than happy to upcharge you for it.

- add your partner to your medical insurance after marriage. Since this is a life changing event, most insurance companies will allow you to change your election mid-year.

- allergies. Ouch! If you partner got them, I feel your pain. Moving to a new country can do that to you. Don't despair, ionize the air. Ahem... Of course, see a doctor if the condition worsens, but also be ready to clean like crazy, give your pet up for adoption (my parents will be keeping my cat... tear, tear) - be ready for this, get your priorities straight, have a good air humidifier / ionizer / purifier, and you'll pull through this.

4. Cars / Driving

- tip on car insurance: get a form stating your partner's driving record in plain and simple English to get an experienced driver discount. I've done rounds of back-n-forth with Liberty Mutual and ended up doing, ahem, a liberal "translation" of my husband's EU driver license (which has a "First Licensed" year) by a Russian agency telling them what I need the paper to say. It was an honest representation of the license, not a fraud, but it spelled out the field labels missing in the EU version. It's tough work, but it will save you a lot of money.

- if you are buying / leasing a car, put both names on the title / lease. This is your proof of bona fide marriage, think about it in advance!

5. Driving License

- (MA residents): you don't need to wait for green card to apply! Even if your partner is still on K1 status, the license will be good for 5 years, not till K1 expiration date!This differs by state, so check your state laws. We were pleasantly surprised by this.

- if you've added your partner to a joint backing account, print that statement and it will serve as a proof of residence.

- you can take the written test in your native language.

- scheduling the road test is tricky. You may need to wait for a couple months or drive for 2 hours, your pick. We did the latter and my husband now has US Driving License and it's not even 2 months since POE.

- you will need a car with e-brake between the front seats for the road test!

6. AOS:

- don't wait too long. Chances are, it will take you a week to gather all documents (remember that medical?), and it's time that your partner can't work or travel

- file all 3 (AOS, Advanced Parole, Employment Authorization) as a bundle, and fee for the two last ones is waived.

- check out fellow VJs posts to double-check you're not missing anything. My special thanks to authors of those two posts: here and here.

General tips:

- anywhere you go to apply, keep your I-94, Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate + Translation and Passport with you. This should be plenty for anybody, but check the required documentation ahead of time.

- think of any new paperwork as future proof of bona fide marriage: "Can I put both of our names on it?": If you trust your partner, any kind of paper trail, be it joint bank account (can be done with SSN), Title on a car, adding your partner to Medical insurance / beneficiary on Life insurance / doing the medical will - it's all going to work for you.

- check out some English classes if your fiance's English is not perfect. It's good socialization (not to mention it gives your significant other something to occuply themselves with while you work), good practice and generally a nice welcoming environment.

- don't forget to breathe. Adjusting to your life in America is *a lot* to take on, so do it in baby steps and you'll be fine. :)

Edited by naire37

K1 to POE
01.14.2015 - met online in an RPG chatroom
02.27.2015 - met in person
04.20.2015 - I-129F mailed
04.21.2015 - I-129F received by the Lockbox as per USPS site
04.24.2015 - NOA-1 electronic copy received: both SMS (text) and e-mail
04.30.2015 - NOA-1 paper version received
06.01.2015 - NOA-2 e-mail. SQUEE! =)
06.05.2015 - NOA-2 paper version.
06.12.2015 - NVC Received, Case # Assigned (not yet visible on CEAC)
06.17.2015 - NVC processing completed, now visible on CEAC with status "Ready"
06.24.2015 - CEAC status "Administrative Processing" (for Russia: received by the Embassy, can schedule the interview).
06.26.2015 - Crossed the t's and dotted the i's, this time for real. Scheduled the interview!
07.20.2015 - Medical. Piece of cake!
07.22.2015 - Interview. 2 hours worth of waiting and 5 minutes worth of talking to the consul, "your visa is approved". Yaaay!
10.09.2015 - POE in Boston, MA. Hooray!! Welcome, my love.

POE to Green Card:
10.09.2015 - POE in Boston, MA
10.14.2015 - applied for SSN; got it a couple days later in the mail
10.31.2015 - Wedding :halloween:
11.21.2015 - Filed AOS (package including Travel Parole & Employment)
11.25.2015 - electronic NOA-1(s), 11.27.2015 - Check cashed
11.30.2015 - NOA-1s

12.18.2015 - RFE (forgot to write my name in one place on the Affidavit of Support)

12.21.2015 - Biometrics

12.23.2015 - RFE Response received by USCIS

02.10.2016 - EAD/AP approved!

02.10.2016 - EAD/AP received!

05.12.2016 - Interview scheduled for 06.15.2016 (wow, that really took 6 months from filing...)

06.15.2016 - Interview. Approved! (but not at the interview, got notification about 4 hours later)

06.30.2016 - Green Card Received!

1. Get SSN early. Here is VJ guide.

- some states require it for marriage

You are mistaken.

No US state requires you to have an SSN before you can obtain a marriage licence and get married. Under federal law, if you have an SSN you must give it at the time you apply for the licence, but not having one will not preclude you from obtaining the marriage licence in the first place. You simply inform the clerk/official that you do not possess an SSN and that is that.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you for your post! It was very helpful! Is there somewhere on the USCIS website that states that the 2 fees are waived if you file for all together? How did you come to know that the fees are waived? Thank you for your help!!

It's stated in the I-485 instructions, I-131 instructions, and I-765 instructions.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.