anita2149

Messy immigration situation

22 posts in this topic

I am not sure where to actually put this, I'm sorry if I have put this in the wrong spot.

Okay, first off, my husband and I just moved back to the States by getting his green card by doing the IR-1 with consular processing.We did everything by the book, followed all the rules, and got his green card granted after 7 months.

The situation I am curious about is my sister (US citizen) and her husband. First off, let's just say that my sister is completely clueless and her husband is a jerk who thinks rules don't apply to him. They are doing everything wrong- to the point of immigration fraud. We are not close, I haven't spoken to my sister in months.

Basically, back in May they decided to move back to the States from Australia. After trying to "renew" his green card from 7 years ago, my brother in law decided to get a B1/B2 visa to get back in the country. He had no job, no house, no other family in Australia and entered the country with his citizen wife and 4 children who were clearly moving back to the States. He had a return ticket, so they let him in. (IMO, someone should be fired for letting him in...).

So anyway, he got in and they applied for AOS. Apparently the I130 was granted, but the financial sponsorship paperwork has been rejected twice based on the sponsor even though all criteria were actually met. So, now they are refilling with a different sponsor.

Basically, what happens next??? I'm actually really angry that it looks like they are getting away with this. My husband and I just spent months apart, with three young kids sobbing every night because they miss daddy, and even longer in process trying to do this right, I hate to see people short cutting and screwing the system. Is this something that will get caught out in the interview if/when he gets one? I have previously given them my two cents about what is legal and what is not, but like I said, my brother in law thinks rules don't apply to him. I'm staying right out of this, I'd just like to know what you think might happen in this situation.

~~moved to general immigration discussion from IR1/CR1 process and procedures~~

Since they're committing fraud, you can choose to report it to ICE or not. They may or may not get away with it, but most likely will.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

What you do is you mind your beeswax and stay out like you said that you would. It's pretty much done now so let them be. Just worry about your journey.

Intent isn't something that can cause a denial.

Edited by Transborderwife

I can see ur frustration, like people said here just leave it be. But hey, they are the ones who are gonna worry later. Not you, u can sleep well at night cus u know u did it the good way,

Filed k1 - 08/20/2015

NOA1 - 08/25/2015

NOA2 - 9/17/2015

NVC Received - 10/14/2015

Send to Amsterdam - 10/16/2015

Amsterdam received - 10/19/2015

Packet 3 in the mail - 10/22/2015

Packet 4 in the mail - 11/3/2015

Medical - 11/23/2015

Interview !!!! - 12/3/2015 Approved !!!

POE - 12/15/2015 (finally)

Wedding 01/15/2016 !!

AOS!

Filed AOS - 03/15/2017

Noa 1 - 03/30/2017

Biometrics - 04/21/2017
RFE - 04/10/2017

Send RFE back - 06/18/2017

RFE Received (status changed) - 06/27/2017

EAD/AP Approved - 09/18/2017

Filed N400 (Naturalization) - 03/24/2024

rsz_waitisover1.jpg.e64ce44221da1246df04d25bf6a04bab.jpg

I would let it be, as you know from your own experience its hard for families to be separated especially those of us with children, as you said yourself you spent months apart from your husband with your own kids sobbing every night cause they miss him, do you really want to be the reason why your nieces/nephews are without their dad?

K1-K2 VISA
FEBRUARY 2015 APPLIED FOR I-129F K1-K2
RECIEVED NOA1
AUGUST 2015 RECIEVED NOA2
SEPTEMBER 2015 SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
RECIEVED SYDNEY CASE NUMBER
CASE SENT TO THE SYDNEY EMBASSY
SEPTEMBER 2015 COMPLETED DS-160 K1-K2
OCTOBER 2015 MEDICAL COMPLETED
INTERVIEW - APPROVED
VISA ISSUED

DECEMBER 2015 ARRIVED INTO THE USA POA DALLAS TX 26TH DECEMBER
JANUARY 2016 MARRIED 29TH JANUARY
FEBRUARY 2016 SSN CARD RECIEVED

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
MARCH 2016 SENT AOS PACKAGE K1-K2 21ST MARCH                                                       JUNE 2016 RECIEVED GREEN CARD K1-K2 11TH JUNE
ARRIVED AT THE CHICAGO LOCKBAG FACILITY 23RD MARCH

APRIL 2016 RECIEVED NOA 1 FOR AOS/EAD/AP 5TH APRIL
RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENTS 30TH APRIL
MAY 2016 BIOMETRICS TAKEN 10TH MAY

AP/EAD APPROVED K1 13TH MAY

COMBO CARD ARRIVED 21ST MAY

JUNE 2016 APPROVED AOS (NO INTERVIEW) K1-K2 3RD JUNE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why did he get a B, why not just come over on the VWP?

Sounds like the only issue they have is the sponsorship which is now sorted?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I feel your frustration and it's a stupid rule where people can AOS from VWP or a tourist visa just because they're married to a USC but it is what it is. Her husband was checked and let into the country by CBP, he's married to a USC and the paperwork seems to be pretty much done. Why spend your time and energy on trying to find a way to punish them for not following the rules? Yeah, it totally sucks and if you feel that strongly about it, write your Congressman/woman and Senator, join an immigration lobbying group and put that time and energy into trying to get that law changed.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is an Immigration Lobbying Group to stop people adjusting form non immigrant visa's and VWP?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I feel your frustration and it's a stupid rule where people can AOS from VWP or a tourist visa just because they're married to a USC but it is what it is. Her husband was checked and let into the country by CBP, he's married to a USC and the paperwork seems to be pretty much done. Why spend your time and energy on trying to find a way to punish them for not following the rules? Yeah, it totally sucks and if you feel that strongly about it, write your Congressman/woman and Senator, join an immigration lobbying group and put that time and energy into trying to get that law changed.

what lobbying group?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not sure where to actually put this, I'm sorry if I have put this in the wrong spot.

Okay, first off, my husband and I just moved back to the States by getting his green card by doing the IR-1 with consular processing.We did everything by the book, followed all the rules, and got his green card granted after 7 months...

So if I understand well, you are mad because you were away from your husband for months during your process and your sister that you haven't spoken to in months gets to go thru the process with her husband by he side?? Really? No disrespect but you need to mind your own business, and to answer your question: they are in a real marriage and your sister is a USC, nothing will happen to them, he will get his green card and their lives will go on.

Guys... a person can vent here without all the criticisms. Please stop with the judgement. We're allowed to be annoyed at people who circumvent the law.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.