~Alessa~

Questions about tax returns

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone! I am a beneficiary of petition.

If we are going to file I-129f petition this december, and interview I guess I will have at 2016, will they need tax return from 2015? Maybe 2014 will be enough and at interview I could just say that my US fiance haven't file for 2015 taxes yet? Because as I know some people taking extensions to file till autumn, and I hope I will get interview at spring or summer.

Also we will have a co-sponsor with fresh tax returns.

And if we have a co-sponsor (relative) which income covers up household of 3, is it necessary for me taking my US fiance's tax return at interview?

And later on, when I will need to do an AOS process, will I need a tax return from fiance from 2015 or co-sponsor will be enough?

P.S. I thought of it depends on which year you file. If you file in 2015, you will need 2014 tax returns even if your interview will be on 2016?

Edited by ~Alessa~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

it all depends on the month, After April 15, immigration will require 2015 taxes, so for your AOS one you get here and marry, he will definitely need that

a person can file taxes even on the last day, so that's why immigration waits

and the rest yes, he is the primary sponsor always, so for the K! and later the adjustment of status, he has to file the affidavit of support as sponsor and send taxes, even if he doesn't make enough

the other person will always be the joint sponsor or co sponsor

Timeline

hi

it all depends on the month, After April 15, immigration will require 2015 taxes, so for your AOS one you get here and marry, he will definitely need that

a person can file taxes even on the last day, so that's why immigration waits

and the rest yes, he is the primary sponsor always, so for the K! and later the adjustment of status, he has to file the affidavit of support as sponsor and send taxes, even if he doesn't make enough

the other person will always be the joint sponsor or co sponsor

Thank you for the answer!

So if I will get my interview on march 2016 for example, 2014 tax return will be enough?

I see. Thanks for the answer. And what about "removing of conditions"? Tax returns needed for that?

Yes, but only include those you file as husband and wife--either married filing jointly or married filing separately depending on YOUR tax situation. The USCIS will want to see if you as a LPR and the USC are filing your tax returns on all world wide income as is required by US tax laws--filing a tax return and owing income taxes are two completely different things. I would recommend you use IRS tax transcripts instead of the actual return as the tax transcript I what you filed and is a compete return by itself. Go to the IRS web site here: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript to receive a copy of the USC's tax returns.

Tax returns are needed for the interview, AOS, and ROC. They may be needed for Naturalization if going on the 3 year rule and married to a USC to show the validity of the relationship.

Dave

Timeline

Yes, but only include those you file as husband and wife--either married filing jointly or married filing separately depending on YOUR tax situation. The USCIS will want to see if you as a LPR and the USC are filing your tax returns on all world wide income as is required by US tax laws--filing a tax return and owing income taxes are two completely different things. I would recommend you use IRS tax transcripts instead of the actual return as the tax transcript I what you filed and is a compete return by itself. Go to the IRS web site here: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript to receive a copy of the USC's tax returns.

Tax returns are needed for the interview, AOS, and ROC. They may be needed for Naturalization if going on the 3 year rule and married to a USC to show the validity of the relationship.

Dave

Hello! Thank you so much for the answer!!! Oh. thanks, I'm always confusing meanings of tax transcripts and tax return. Yes, definately we will use transcripts, thank you!

Excuse me, what means LPR? legal permanent resident? I haven't find definition of that..

And for the ROC will they need tax transcripts for each year we're together in USA? I mean if for some reason we don't file taxes one year, will that be suspicious for USCIS? They expect seeing income each year and tax transcripts the best proof of income?

Timeline

I see that they want employment letter but my fiance is an independent contractor, and he is filing his taxes like that. So what to take to interview? Contract, tax transcript as an independent contractor? But he said he doubt he can get an employment letter.

Does he need payslips? Or payments to his paypal account monthly will be acceptable?

Edited by ~Alessa~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I see that they want employment letter but my fiance is an independent contractor, and he is filing his taxes like that. So what to take to interview? Contract, tax transcript as an independent contractor? But he said he doubt he can get an employment letter.

Does he need payslips? Or payments to his paypal account monthly will be acceptable?

Alessa,

I am an independent contractor and my fiance just got her K-1 visa approved. I didn't have any income this year (2015) and submitted the following documents and she got through with her interview without asking any questions.

1.) Tax returns of 2014, 2013, and 2012

2.) Bank statements of last six months

3.) IRA (retirement savings) accounts statement

4.) Real Estate property tax statement

5.) Mortgage Tax paid for the real estate I own for last two years

6.) Letter from tax accountant who do my accounting for last few years

Keep in mind I didn't provide any proof of current income. All your fiance's need to prove that he is above poverty level if not with running income then with his assets value or both. I'd advise you at this moment to only focus on your K1 visa processing and once you get that and arrive here and get married then work on your AOS.

Thank you.

Timeline

Alessa,

I am an independent contractor and my fiance just got her K-1 visa approved. I didn't have any income this year (2015) and submitted the following documents and she got through with her interview without asking any questions.

1.) Tax returns of 2014, 2013, and 2012

2.) Bank statements of last six months

3.) IRA (retirement savings) accounts statement

4.) Real Estate property tax statement

5.) Mortgage Tax paid for the real estate I own for last two years

6.) Letter from tax accountant who do my accounting for last few years

Keep in mind I didn't provide any proof of current income. All your fiance's need to prove that he is above poverty level if not with running income then with his assets value or both. I'd advise you at this moment to only focus on your K1 visa processing and once you get that and arrive here and get married then work on your AOS.

Thank you.

Oh! Thanks a lot for the answer!

Wow. A lot of documents.

I see. I understand this point: if you didn't have income in the current year you can submit previous year? You didn't have co-sponsor?

The thing is that our co-sponsor owning real estate where my fiance is living.

And what if he didn't use tax accountant? He just filed taxes himself, will they ask for the letter from accountant?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.