mrpeters

Bank account help

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I have recently moved over to the states on my K1 visa, but have not yet completely adjusted my status (in the process of getting married atm etc). I received a letter from my bank back in Australia (Citibank). I have pasted it below. How have you all handled this? All of the money in it was earned in Australia and it is only there temporarily until i open my US bank account and transfer it over. Why do they need this information? I can no longer send them a certified copy of my passport etc as I'm not in the country anymore. Would it just be easier to get the money out and close the account. It states if I don't send it within 30 days of getting the letter they will start to charge me backup withholding tax, which is ridiculous as all the money was earned in Australia and I paid taxes on it.

-

In accordance with our obligations under the Foreign Account Tax
Compliance Act (FATCA), we have reviewed our records and identified that
you may have an association with the United States (US).
Citibank is required to collect the information on this form for the
purposes of complying with US tax laws (FATCA) and our internal global
policies.
The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) is a US law aimed at
ensuring that income and assets held by a US person directly in accounts
outside the US, or indirectly through ownership of entities outside the
US, are reported to the U.S tax authorities (Internal Revenue Service -
IRS) via the Australian Tax Office (ATO).
US Person: A United States person is any of the following:
? a citizen of the United States
? an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence
? an unincorporated association with a substantial number of members who
are citizens of the US or are aliens lawfully admitted for permanent
residence.
? a corporation that is incorporated in the US.
We require that you complete and return the W-8BEN to declare your
status as a non-US person.
Please also provide the following documentation to ensure our records
are correct and up to date;
? certified copy of your current Passport
? certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States (if you are no
longer a US Person)

that's normal procedure. I used to work at a bank back in Canada and it is require since you live in the U.S. Not sure yet if it applies since you are not yet a permanent resident... I haven't received this yet from my banks in Canada.

All I know is that If you have investment accounts that pay dividends, interests, etc., they are considered "income". From what I read on IRS online, if that income comes from U.S. sources, then it will be taxed. What is considered "U.S. sources", not sure too. I'm not a tax expert. All I know is that the U.S. is strict and requires you to mention all worldwide income that you receive, even though it's from Australia. It's strict in order to prevent tax evasion.

This what I found on IRS:

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

Not sure again if you are considered a resident alien -- considering that you are not officially a "permanent resident".

Edited by military-wife

Our Story

- Met in May 2010

- Engaged Nov. 2011

- Moved to U.S. w/ K-1 visa May 2015

- Got Married Aug. 2015 (L):wub:

AOS

Forms Sent : Aug. 24, 2015

Received by office: Aug. 25, 2015

NOA (text/e-mail): Aug. 27, 2015

NOA (mail): Sept. 3, 2015

Biometrics: Sept. 23, 2015

EAD Approval: Oct. 30, 2015

EAD mailed: Nov. 4, 2015

I-797 notice: Nov. 5, 2015

EAD in hand: Nov. 6, 2015

Applied SSN: Nov. 10, 2015

GC approved: Nov. 24, 2015

GC mailed: Nov. 30, 2015

GC received: Dec. 2, 2015 :D

ROC

Filed ROC: August 30, 2017

NOA (mail): August 31, 2017

Biometrics: September 29, 2017 

*Eligible to file for naturalization (90 days): August 25th, 2018*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.