pantonia

I-134, no tax return forms

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

My fiancée is gathering all the documents to accompany this form.

He is a student, getting tuition and spending money from the VA (because of his dad), so he doesn't meet the poverty line requirements. We have checked with my consular section to see if they allow co-sponsors for K-1 petitioners, and they do. I also asked if my fiancée's dad is allowed to be a co-sponsor, since he is a retired veteran, who is above the poverty guidelines but all his income comes in the form of Social Security and VA benefits. They also said it is ok. My question is though, since all his income is non-taxable, he doesn't have tax returns and such. Will it be enough to provide the following:

• bank statements
  • VA and SS letters declaring and explaining the benefits he gets, how consistent they are and for how much money.
  • Letter of explanation: detailing how these benefits work and why he doesn't have tax forms to show.

In my fiancée's case, he'll just provide everything he has (including the most recent tax return form) and a letter of explanation for how his benefits work and so on.

I'm pretty sure it's fine, since it's not like my fiancée's dad isn't paying his taxes, he just doesn't have any income taxes to pay. I'm planning on printing and bringing along these e-mails from the consular office, just in case they decide to play dumb and pretend I'm not allowed to have a retired veteran with these benefits as a co-sponsor.

My fiancée is gathering all the documents to accompany this form.

He is a student, getting tuition and spending money from the VA (because of his dad), so he doesn't meet the poverty line requirements. We have checked with my consular section to see if they allow co-sponsors for K-1 petitioners, and they do. I also asked if my fiancée's dad is allowed to be a co-sponsor, since he is a retired veteran, who is above the poverty guidelines but all his income comes in the form of Social Security and VA benefits. They also said it is ok. My question is though, since all his income is non-taxable, he doesn't have tax returns and such. Will it be enough to provide the following:

• bank statements
  • VA and SS letters declaring and explaining the benefits he gets, how consistent they are and for how much money.
  • Letter of explanation: detailing how these benefits work and why he doesn't have tax forms to show.

In my fiancée's case, he'll just provide everything he has (including the most recent tax return form) and a letter of explanation for how his benefits work and so on.

I'm pretty sure it's fine, since it's not like my fiancée's dad isn't paying his taxes, he just doesn't have any income taxes to pay. I'm planning on printing and bringing along these e-mails from the consular office, just in case they decide to play dumb and pretend I'm not allowed to have a retired veteran with these benefits as a co-sponsor.

Your father-in-law had better be certain that he is not required to FILE a tax return. If he is not required to file a tax return, a statement to that fact will be enough. If he is required to file a tax return--please check the IRS website under who is required to file a tax return--to be certain. A 14 year-old must file a tax return if they earn over $600 or some one who has investment income must file a return if it is over a certain amount. The IRS has strange rules on who must file even if he end result is that the person owes no income tax. Also, the USCIS does not know all the rules for filing a tax return other than all USC and LPR must file a tax return on all world wide income. So if not required to file you must state why and show that that reason applies.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.