thaigirlwatcher

Leaving 11 y/o son behind in Thailand

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancee plans to have her 11 y/o son live with relatives in Thailand when she comes here on a fiancee visa. We plan to get married, get a green card for her and have her live in the US permanently. Will this be a problem at her fiancee visa interview in Thailand?

My fiancee plans to have her 11 y/o son live with relatives in Thailand when she comes here on a fiancee visa. We plan to get married, get a green card for her and have her live in the US permanently. Will this be a problem at her fiancee visa interview in Thailand?

There is no absolute answer to this question. they scrutinize you more if one is from a high fraud country.i hope you get through.good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

It will seem strange to leave a child behind. Is this a permanent solution ? Be prepared for a lot of questions.

It doesn't. Many do this as the immigrant wants to establish life in the new US culture / system. Many then later bring the children over.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Never met anybody who did not bring their children.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Never met anybody who did not bring their children.

Read around. Many leave the K-2 children with family and then have them To Join within a year of the K-1's visa issuance date.

Many have older children who finish some schooling and then are petitioned by the petitioner via the I-130 form or by the parent once they are naturalized.

Happens all the time. Not a red flag.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

I said I had never met anyone who had left children behind.

It would be silly to file for permanent residence for him afterwards when he can follow to join within a year.

But unless the child really doesn't want to move to the USA and wants to stay with a father for example, it is odd to not bring him along as well eventually.

The OP does not mention if they have plans on ever bringing the child or not.

As for the original question, they may ask about it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

May I ask why the kid doesn't move with the mother? Why wait?

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is our situation as well. The birth father and his family simply aren't ready to let both of the children go at this point so she will just bring the youngest for now although the door is always open in the future for the elder child. She will bring the youngest with her.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Sometime people leave children behind because the other biological parent does not want their child to move to the US. When one parent immigrated to the US, a child will be separated from one parent of the other parent does not immigrate regardless whether the child immigrate or not.

In many cultures, it's acceptable to leave your children behind under the care of relatives when the new immigrant parents goes to America to establish themselves before bringing the children over.

Europeans immigrating to the US before the 1950s and 1960s did the same thing.

We in the modern western world simply have forgotten things.

Leaving a child behind under the care of loving relatives and bringing them later does not mean the parents do not love their children or are indifferent to the pain of separation.

Edited by aaron2020

My 14 year old son has decided to stay in Australia with his grandmother (my mother) I had no problems at my interview, they asked who would be looking after him and if he would be following in the coming year.

To leave a child behind is one of the hardest decisions a parent has to make and my heat goes out to anyone in this situation. I have been fortunate enough that my mother is able to care for him and ive had a lawyer draw up shared parental responsibility documents for us both. When my son told me his decision to want to stay in Australia my world collapsed, here I was thinking we would all be starting a new adventure in the US with my fiancé so to not have him join us is a horrible feeling of guilt. On a positive tho my child is able to stay in a loving home environment and he has an amazing network of supportive friends. He will be able to come to the US when he has school holidays to visit and we will organise regular Skype chats to keep in contact.

Leaving a child behind for whatever the reasons may be is not something any parent takes lightly, its a huge decision and no parent should be judge on it.

K1-K2 VISA
FEBRUARY 2015 APPLIED FOR I-129F K1-K2
RECIEVED NOA1
AUGUST 2015 RECIEVED NOA2
SEPTEMBER 2015 SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
RECIEVED SYDNEY CASE NUMBER
CASE SENT TO THE SYDNEY EMBASSY
SEPTEMBER 2015 COMPLETED DS-160 K1-K2
OCTOBER 2015 MEDICAL COMPLETED
INTERVIEW - APPROVED
VISA ISSUED

DECEMBER 2015 ARRIVED INTO THE USA POA DALLAS TX 26TH DECEMBER
JANUARY 2016 MARRIED 29TH JANUARY
FEBRUARY 2016 SSN CARD RECIEVED

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
MARCH 2016 SENT AOS PACKAGE K1-K2 21ST MARCH                                                       JUNE 2016 RECIEVED GREEN CARD K1-K2 11TH JUNE
ARRIVED AT THE CHICAGO LOCKBAG FACILITY 23RD MARCH

APRIL 2016 RECIEVED NOA 1 FOR AOS/EAD/AP 5TH APRIL
RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENTS 30TH APRIL
MAY 2016 BIOMETRICS TAKEN 10TH MAY

AP/EAD APPROVED K1 13TH MAY

COMBO CARD ARRIVED 21ST MAY

JUNE 2016 APPROVED AOS (NO INTERVIEW) K1-K2 3RD JUNE

We used to have a support group on VJ for those of us that moved and our children stayed behind. The thread has fallen to the wayside.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.