vanityfair

Freaking out about letter from NVC

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Alright so apparently my mother recieved a letter from the NVC (currently I am abroad so I won't be receiving it for a few days so I am panicking right now).

It looks like this: 2i8jcec.png

I know it is not much, but I cannot imagine why the NVC would send a letter to me and I'm getting really paranoid and stressed out about it. After all, my case was approved by the UCIS in September 30th, and I called the NVC and got my case number 2 weeks ago (as well as them confirming that they sent the case to Seoul Korea. Also the NVC site still indicates that my case is still in transit.). Soooo...what could they possibly be contacting me about? Not to mention the ominous "Return Service Requested" which I cannot find very much info about at all in the K1 Visa section (I did find some interesting comments in the CR-1 in terms of the NVC returning the case file back to UCIS but they already told me they sent the case to Seoul already so...)

Yeah...I'm really freaking out about this. I'm really terrified about the contents as I have to wait a several days for this to arrive from the states.

So...could anyone possibly shed some light on what this could possibly be? Gah...I'm really stressed out as it is SOOOO close.

Edited by vanityfair

Uh, why didnt she open it? It could just be the pkt3 no? I got mine several weeks after calling for my numbers. I dont recall what the envelope said. Seems like itd be worth her opening vs you panicking for days.

Actually my pkt3 came from consular office I still have that envelope. Don't think i got anything from NVC just USCIS. If thats NVC, maybe its just an RFE. Opening seems like the easiest thing to do, or check the tracker.

Edited by heo luoi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Agreed, can't your mom just open the envelope and tell you what it says?

Edited by FN&KO

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

"Return Service Requested" is nothing to worry about. It isn't specific to USCIS/NVC/immigration. It's just a standard piece of USPS terminology and means that undeliverable mail should be returned to the sender with either details of the recipient's new address or a reason why it couldn't be delivered. It's a way that the sender can confirm that the recipient is contactable at the address they have on file.

Eighteen years in the US and I still don't understand Velveeta, TV ads for prescription drugs, only getting 2 weeks paid vacation, or why anyone believes anything they see on Fox "News".

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Return Service Requested is on almost all mail sent here in the U.S. by an organization or company. It means that if it isn't deliverable to the address then they are requesting that it be sent back to them instead of just lost in the system or stuffed in someone's mailbox. The letter can be anything and more than likely is just a "no big deal" letter of information. I wouldn't stress. They send a lot of paperwork out that is somewhat meaningless.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I wouldn't worry. It looks exactly like the letter we got from NVC containing our case number and information again. Obviously I can't guarantee that for sure, but like I said I wouldn't worry.

Edit: Since you're so worried and to give you an idea, we got the letter almost exactly a month after our NOA 2.

Edited by TL2016

Timeline

Uh, why didnt she open it? It could just be the pkt3 no? I got mine several weeks after calling for my numbers. I dont recall what the envelope said. Seems like itd be worth her opening vs you panicking for days.

Actually my pkt3 came from consular office. If thats NVC, maybe its just an RFE.

It wouldn't be a packet 3 since I believe the letter would have been mailed directly from the consulate (and Korea does it through emails I believe). Also the NVC site would indicate if the consulate received my case as well and is in the "ready" status or something.

My GUESS is that it could either be some NVC letter I heard about that is sent the petitioner indicating that the case was sent to the consulate along with the case number (though I heard in some instances that some petitioners get this REALLY late or never get it at all).

(Example thread here): http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/556541-nvc-letter-for-k1-visa/

OR...since I am a paranoid wreck of a mess,

My FEAR is that it is the NVC sent my case back to UCIS for some reason which would cause some remarkable delays that we cannot afford at the moment. But...that doesn't make any sense to me as the case was already sent out to Seoul and supposedly in transit (albiet it has been more than a week since they sent it but still...). But it seems like this occurs more often in the CR-1 case rather than K1.

(Example thread here): http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/400232-my-case-was-send-back-to-uscis-from-nvc-after-noa2-was-aproved/

And in terms of not having my mother open it and tell me...err the matter is private. If you wish to PM me and ask but there's a personal reason I'm keeping the contents for my eyes only.

But...again, maybe I am being super paranoid because it's sooo close to the finish line and my nerves are becoming a bit more tender.

Edited by vanityfair

Timeline

I wouldn't worry. It looks exactly like the letter we got from NVC containing our case number and information again. Obviously I can't guarantee that for sure, but like I said I wouldn't worry.

Oh...if that's the case, thank you soooo much for the reassurance. I'm really hoping that is the case. My concern manifests from the fact that this is the first time hearing that the NVC sends a letter to the petitioner (if anything my mindset was NOA1 NOA2, then PACKET 3 rather than a letter confirming that the NVC sent out the case)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Oh...if that's the case, thank you soooo much for the reassurance. I'm really hoping that is the case. My concern manifests from the fact that this is the first time hearing that the NVC sends a letter to the petitioner (if anything my mindset was NOA1 NOA2, then PACKET 3 rather than a letter confirming that the NVC sent out the case)

As far as I know they were always supposed to send the petitioner a letter, for most it just took forever before they actually got the letter.

This is what it looks like. This is an example picture I found online:

4d038fd376.jpg

Our letter just contained our information and the embassy in Germany. It's time to relax :) .

Edited by TL2016

Well can't see how anyone could help or anything on such a purely speculative matter. If you have privacy reasons fine so be it. But no one else will know anything more about your case or what the letter coud be. Anything else would just be subjective speculation which I can only see as counterproductive to your paranoia.

It wouldn't be a packet 3 since I believe the letter would have been mailed directly from the consulate (and Korea does it through emails I believe). Also the NVC site would indicate if the consulate received my case as well and is in the "ready" status or something.

My GUESS is that it could either be some NVC letter I heard about that is sent the petitioner indicating that the case was sent to the consulate along with the case number (though I heard in some instances that some petitioners get this REALLY late or never get it at all).

(Example thread here): http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/556541-nvc-letter-for-k1-visa/

OR...since I am a paranoid wreck of a mess,

My FEAR is that it is the NVC sent my case back to UCIS for some reason which would cause some remarkable delays that we cannot afford at the moment. But...that doesn't make any sense to me as the case was already sent out to Seoul and supposedly in transit (albiet it has been more than a week since they sent it but still...). But it seems like this occurs more often in the CR-1 case rather than K1.

(Example thread here): http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/400232-my-case-was-send-back-to-uscis-from-nvc-after-noa2-was-aproved/

And in terms of not having my mother open it and tell me...err the matter is private. If you wish to PM me and ask but there's a personal reason I'm keeping the contents for my eyes only.

But...again, maybe I am being super paranoid because it's sooo close to the finish line and my nerves are becoming a bit more tender.

Timeline

Well can't see how anyone could help or anything on such a purely speculative matter. If you have privacy reasons fine so be it. But no one else will know anything more about your case or what the letter coud be. Anything else would just be subjective speculation which I can only see as counterproductive to your paranoia.

True, I really do wish I could ask for the contents to be confirmed. Though if anything, I was wondering whether a letter from the NVC is a common thing in spite of it being the first time hearing about it. Sorry about the panic. It is just such a sudden occurrence as I was not expecting anything but the Packet 3 at this point.

Uh already asked this but? Have you tried the CEAC tracker and what does it say???

True, I really do wish I could ask for the contents to be confirmed. Though if anything, I was wondering whether a letter from the NVC is a common thing in spite of it being the first time hearing about it. Sorry about the panic. It is just such a sudden occurrence as I was not expecting anything but the Packet 3 at this point.

Timeline

Uh already asked this but? Have you tried the CEAC tracker and what does it say???

It indicated that the case is on the way to the consulate (if anything, the embassy should be getting it this week or the next) which threw me off if suddenly they wanted to retract it for something.

I second this reponse! It's probably just the letter from NVC giving you your case number and saying they have forwarded your case to the consulate. :)

This is what it looks like. This is an example picture I found online:
4d038fd376.jpg
It's time to relax :) .

K-1 Visa Process (182 days from I-129F filed -> Visa in Hand)

May 10th, 2015: Got Engaged!

June 12th 2015: Fiance filed I-129F, June 19th, 2015: (NOA1) Received at California Service Center

July 23rd, 2015: (NOA2) NVC received

Aug 31st, 2015: NVC Approved and fwd case to consulate in Montreal. MTL case # given.

Sept 8th, 2015: MTL received and sent P3 by mail, Sept 18th, 2015: P3 received in mail, Sept 18th, 2015: DS-160 completed and P3 documents sent by e-mail

Sept 21st, 2015: P3 Approved. Received P4 by e-mail, Sept 21st, 2015: Booked K-1 Visa interview for December 2nd, 2015!!

Oct 2nd, 2015: Booked Medical in Toronto for November 12th, 2015

Nov. 12th, 2015: Medical done in Toronto, ON with Dr Lyndon Mascarenhas. Highly recommend him!!

Nov. 17th, 2015: Medical results delivered by Purolator

Dec. 2nd, 2015: Interview in Montreal... APPROVED!!!!

Dec. 9th, 2015: CEAC status changed to Issued!

Dec. 11th, 2015: Ready for pickup at Waterloo location. Picked up and Visa in Hand!

K-1 AOS Process (72 days from I-485 filed -> Green Card in Hand)

Spoiler

POE: Dec. 16th, 2015 by U-Haul @ Port Huron <p>

AOS, EAD, AP (72 days from package sent -> Green Card in hand)

Jan. 1st, 2016: Civil Ceremony <3

Jan. 29th, 2016: Applied for SSN

Feb. 2nd, 2016: Sent off AOS packet

Feb. 9th, 2016: NOA1's received by text & e-mail

Feb. 13th, 2016: NOA1 hard copies received in the mail

Feb. 23rd, 2016: Biometrics letter in mail received for Feb 29th!

Feb. 23rd, 2016: SSN received in the mail

Feb. 29th, 2016: Successful Biometrics appointment in Tampa, FL

April 7th, 2016: Green Card in production!!!

April 11th, 2016: Green Card in Mail

April 13th, 2016: Received Green Card :)

Removal of Conditions Process

Jan 16th, 2018: Mailed Form I-751 to CSC

Jan 18th, 2018: USPS Delivered to CSC

Jan. 24th, 2018: NOA1 received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.