bairesgirl

A couple questions about citizenship application based on my marriage

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!!
I have a couple pretty general questions about applying to become a citizen based on my marriage to an american citizen.

I got my first green card back in 2011 and my 10 yrs green card back in 2013.

I m planning to send everything and apply for my citizenship around Jan or Feb next year ( I m going away to my home country to spend the holidays there)
I wanna start putting my papers together slowly and start studying for the test slowly as well, I don t wanna just learn the 100 question by memorizing them, I wanna truly learn, that s how it works for me, if I just try to memorize things I get nervous and forget...lol
Anyways, I was wondering, for the ones that applied to become citizen, less than 5 yrs after getting your first green card, what papers as proof that you are still married and it s a legit marriage did u send?
I have an idea of what to send but any info will be appreciated!
And also, did u send papers as proof between when you got the 2nd green card and now? or you gotta send all papers from when you got the first green card as well?
I remember when I apply to have my conditions removed i sent papers from between the moment i got my first green card until when i was applying for the 2nd ( 10 yrs one) so it was 2 yrs worth of paperwork.

Any help, advice will be very welcome!
I think the hardest thing will be to put all papers together, I m not very scared about the interview, it s all the papers I gotta send what annoys me, but I gotta do what I gotta do.
I want to become a citizen real bad so I gotta my act together and start putting those papers together!
Have a great week!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I sent our tax returns showing we filed as married. Different bill statements showing joint membership in various places such as costco, the gym etc. Copy of our lease with both our names. Insurance papers showing both our names and copies of our kids birth certificates.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hola que tal?

I sent the same as Alaska2012 and it was all good. I wasn't asked for any further evidence in the interview.

Thank you so much for the fast reply!
So basically it s the same paperwork as when I filed for my greencards..... to proove that we are still together and the marriage is legit.
Now when u applied for citizenship, the papers ( evidence) u sent was from between the time you got your 2nd ( 10 yrs greencard) until the moment you sent the N400 form or from the whole time since u became a resident with the first greencard until now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Some was the same, like our lease since we lived in one place the whole time. Others were new to prove it is an ongoing thing.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Send in as much evidence that you could. As for my wife, I had sent in 5 years worth of evidence for her citizenship interview. Bank statements, tax papers, tax transcrips, electric bills, rent receipts, and so on. The more you send in, the better it is. Some people don't send in that much paperwork but I sent in a lot of paperwork for my wife and it turned out great. Also, my adviced to you is to send in your evidence and your n-400 application by overnight express by the usps. Good luck.

I sent mine under the "based on marriage" rule since it wasn't quite 5 years when I sent in my papers (although it was 5 years by the time they started looking into it).

The N-400 mostly asks for anything with the past 3 years. Make sure you fulfill the residency requirements (you spent enough time in the country/district you are living in prior to submitting the application). All I submitted were our marriage certificates, and of course proof that my husband was a USC (which he is by birth). Then tax transcripts showing we filed jointly for at least the past 3 years. I don't recall submitting any joint bank statements, or titles, etc. - the tax transcripts were enough. They will have your entire file since you applied for the green card when they call you in for interview (I saw mine was about two inches thick LOL).

I just basically followed the N-400 instructions of the documents I needed to submit. Although if you did owe taxes for the past 3 years you'll have to provide proof you paid for it or agreed on a payment plan.

When you come in for the interview you can carry as much documents as you want if you'd like to be sure to cover all your bases in case they ask for additional stuff, but otherwise, as long as you read the N-400 instructions/checklists in the USCIS website very clearly you will be just fine.

The Civics quiz was fairly easy - I had my husband randomly review me months before the interview (and I think watching The Daily Show / The Colbert Report / Last Week Tonight helped me, especially on the governance section). I say randomly because it helps me think on my feet so I don't blank out during the interview. He basically just asked the questions without following the order as it is in the booklet - and not daily - I know I tend to forget stuff after a while so he would wait a few days then test me again. That's how I learned which questions I tend to forget easily and I then made them stick.

I found the N-400 application significantly painless compared to the GC application. A lot less documents to compile - it was the waiting time that was excruciating (took me 5-6 months [with an additional ROI at that], but I finally am getting my oath this month).

Personal Timeline

N400 JOURNEY

2015/05/02 - sent N-400 packet to USCIS [Day 0] (Saturday mail)

2015/05/12 - check cashed [Day 10]
2015/05/15 - I-797C NOA received [Day 13]

2015/06/01 - biometrics appointment [Day 29]

2015/09/10 - interview appointment [Day 131] - pending N-14 add'l evidence req'd

2015/11/17 - oath taking [Day 169]

GC/ROC JOURNEY

(In essence of keeping my signature short, please check my Timeline)

AOS JOURNEY

(In essence of keeping my signature short, please check my Timeline)

USCIS would send you a list of required documents needed. For mine I sent pretty much everything, I sent documents used during my removal of condition. Also for the 100 test question, the only way to get them right is to study them. I downloaded an app and have it play when I'm sleeping, driving etc and I would just answer the questions repeatedly. Goodluck

Thank you SO much for your reply and info!!
It s good to hear you didn t send 5 yrs worth of evidence cause that would be a bit too much...lol
I m doing the same as u, my hubby quizes me and we go through all the questions and I ve been doing pretty good so far, there are a few I tend to forget ( like it happened to u) but i know i gotta work on those...
Congrats on you having the ceremony soon, I will be happy when mine arrives!
I will bring lots of papers with me to the interview anyways to make sure I have stuff if they ask me to see....
Did you send pictures of you and your hubby together? I m planning to send some but I could also bring them to the interview...
I just wanna proove that we had been together since I got my 2nd green card til now ( it s gonna be 2 yrs by the time I send the papers in)..
Thank you ALL so much for the answers, sorry it took me a while to reply but I haven t been in here for a couple days.
I made copies of my marriage certificate, my husband s birth certificate ( he s an american citizen), copies of my green card ( front and back) and I will make copies of other papers showing we are still together ( insurance cards for the card, medical insurance, joint credit cards, tax returns and all that.
I ve been in this country for a few yrs now and I want to be a citizen badly! :)
Good luck to everyone and for the ones that haven t sent the papers or haven t had the interview all the best of luck!

I sent mine under the "based on marriage" rule since it wasn't quite 5 years when I sent in my papers (although it was 5 years by the time they started looking into it).

The N-400 mostly asks for anything with the past 3 years. Make sure you fulfill the residency requirements (you spent enough time in the country/district you are living in prior to submitting the application). All I submitted were our marriage certificates, and of course proof that my husband was a USC (which he is by birth). Then tax transcripts showing we filed jointly for at least the past 3 years. I don't recall submitting any joint bank statements, or titles, etc. - the tax transcripts were enough. They will have your entire file since you applied for the green card when they call you in for interview (I saw mine was about two inches thick LOL).

I just basically followed the N-400 instructions of the documents I needed to submit. Although if you did owe taxes for the past 3 years you'll have to provide proof you paid for it or agreed on a payment plan.

When you come in for the interview you can carry as much documents as you want if you'd like to be sure to cover all your bases in case they ask for additional stuff, but otherwise, as long as you read the N-400 instructions/checklists in the USCIS website very clearly you will be just fine.

The Civics quiz was fairly easy - I had my husband randomly review me months before the interview (and I think watching The Daily Show / The Colbert Report / Last Week Tonight helped me, especially on the governance section). I say randomly because it helps me think on my feet so I don't blank out during the interview. He basically just asked the questions without following the order as it is in the booklet - and not daily - I know I tend to forget stuff after a while so he would wait a few days then test me again. That's how I learned which questions I tend to forget easily and I then made them stick.

I found the N-400 application significantly painless compared to the GC application. A lot less documents to compile - it was the waiting time that was excruciating (took me 5-6 months [with an additional ROI at that], but I finally am getting my oath this month).

Filed: Timeline

Filing based on the same criteria and ive used the n400 instructions to the letter.

Marriage certificate,

Mortgage hud-1 shown Co borrowers

Bank statements showing Co owners

Tax transcripts for 3 years showing joint filing

I think gym memberships, Costco memberships and Facebook news feeds are highly overrated and aren't serious evidence because anyone can get them. Financial Co mingling and babies are the best evidence. Stick to those based on the n400 instructions.

2006 - Entered US on F-1
2009 - COS to H-1
2011 - Married USC

Conditional GC Process:
04/2012 - Concurrent I-130 petition / I-485 AOS / I-765 EAD / I-131 AP sent
35 days to biometrics, 73 days to EAD/AP combo card, 85 days to interview, 96 days to Conditional Green Card

04/2014 - Eligible for ROC

06/2014 - I-751 package filing joint with spouse sent

5 days to extension,37 days to biometrics, 172 days to CSC transfer, 247 days to Green Card

04/2015 - Eligible for Citizenship

09/2015 - N-400 package filing on basis of USC spouse sent

29 days to biometrics, 105 days to interview, 147 days to oath and US citizenship

~ 9 years and 6 months from first entry to US citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.