Amhara

Cash on hand for housing costs needed for F-1 visa?

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am trying to think a few years down the line. My future sister-in-law is currently not married and has wanted to get into the dentistry field. She needs to learn English before attending classes here in the US, which are rather affordable at the community college. There are also courses available for dental hygienist. I found that she could make rather decent money with that job in a short amount of time and she could do that job anywhere in the world that she wanted to.

Enough background; here's my question: When the time comes, do we need to have the actual suggested amount for housing costs (which is given as the annual amount) as cash on hand? I don't suppose us paying for her living cost (because they would be our rent and other expenses too) counts, or does it?

Thank you for any help you can lend!

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She could do that job anywhere in the world that she wanted to.

News to me, how?

Why does she need and want to study in the US, are you looking at local costs or international student costs?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

News to me, how?

Why does she need and want to study in the US, are you looking at local costs or international student costs?

I figure everyone has teeth and they need to be cleaned. There isn't any programs for her to study there that will lead to a dentistry field job, and any program I'm any other part of the world will require her to learn English.

The English language lessons are affordable, and it's a fast paced course. Then full time at the international rate is about $2,500 each semester. That program isn't too long; should take less than two or three years to complete.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

A quick google suggests an average of $30,000 and 2 to 3 years but that is not the International Rate.

Obviously there are lots of things people need world wide but very few of them would come with a work visa.

Would it not be easier to qualify in the language she speaks and which she would be working in when she qualifies?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

There aren't any programs available in her language, unfortunately. If there were, she wouldn't be allowed by social norms to live by herself to attend school. She would need a male around or she could face problems. There are other programs in the city, but not for dental hygienists. Even then, most of those degrees are taught in English. Also, learning English would improve her job prospects elsewhere.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

She wants to apply for a non immigrant visa remember, you are selling it to the Consulate that this makes sense.

So she gets her visa and is qualified, what will she do with it, where will she work?

I will need to ask her where she prefers to work. Probably Saudi Arabia or UAE or some other place on the Arabian peninsula. She should get some experience somewhere, so we will need to find out how dentists use hygienists in Afg. I wonder if she could even just be a hygienists and not need a dentist in Afg? Hmmm, she might be able to operate her own business! I will need to see!

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I am a dental hygienist and it takes over 4 years to complete. You must apply to a program and be accepted and it is very competitive at a Community College because it is the most affordable option...and in a private college, it would cost over $50,000 minimum to finish.

Timeline

Sounds like there is a lot of planning needed.

Thanks, Lizla. Isn't the four year program for a bachelor's? I was surprised that there is even a master's degree available too! Could she do the job with just an associate's? I don't like those trade schools like Carrington for her to go to. What is your take on the difference in dental hygienists for associates verses the bachelors?

If she needs to be on a wait list at the CC, she can always look into other programs elsewhere while she waits after she learns English.

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Both Bachelor and Associate Programs take 4 years and the courses are the same. What mattered more when I graduated was to pass the licensure with the 4 years of study, so Bachelor Degree was not mandatory. I never had a problem with finding a job because of an Associates degree. I passed with a 96% License Score. I think in the future it will be just a Bachelors program because it is the same curriculum. They are doing this with RN- nurses now. Private Dental Hygiene Colleges have a bad reputation because they take non qualified or sub par students who will pay over $100,000 to be a Dental Hygienist, or a Nurse for that matter! ...not all, but money talks (typical). I do not recommend Private Trade schools.....cost and questionable reputation.

Edited by Lizla

Yeah, my sister went to Carrington for vet tech (or was it assistant?). I was unhappy with her decision. For a fraction of the cost she could have gotten more education and in the same time too.

I think I need to look up the state licensure requirements for dental hygienists in Texas. A NRA might not be able to get licensure, but if she is eligible, I am sure that a license from the great state of Texas would be an asset anywhere! Lol!

Thank you for the great ideas you guys! Even if it's a while down the road, I still want to be knowledgeable to prepare ourselves.

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.