paulfr

Thai wife of US Citizen for 10 years refused entry at airport

68 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My Thai wife of 10 years was refused entry to the US at the airport in Philadelphia because she had a Tourist Visa .

Apparently having a Tourist Visa is insufficient for entry if you say you plan to remain in the US and set up residency.

If you say were are here for a visit [on the Tourist Visa], then it is OK.

You can then change status and apply for Adjustment of Status and Green Card

I should have known this but I did not.

We have a 9 year old daughter who is a US citizen.

I thought there were 2 ways to bring a wife to America

Direct Consular Filing [DCF] in Thailand OR come to US in any way and then change status.

My bad.

Good news is they consulted the manager and we were allowed to enter.

They stamped her passport with date of entry.

We got the Tourist Visa 8 years ago and have traveled to the US

for visits to family two times. So we got the TV legally and without deception.

And we were honest at the airport about our intentions, so there is no fraud

or pre-conceived intent.

So she will likely have to leave the US and return to Thailand at some point.

I must stay for urgent and ongoing serious health reasons

So we are facing the prospect of having our family split for a long time

until the Visa process in Thailand is done correctly

It angers me that as a US citizen I should have any problem at all

bringing a wife of 10 years home to live with me. Especially having

a daughter to clearly identify the validity of our marriage.

Anyone with helpful advice will be most appreciated.

Is it still possible to get an approved AOS and Green Card ??

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Apparently having a Tourist Visa is insufficient for entry if you say you plan to remain in the US and set up residency.

If you say were are here for a visit [on the Tourist Visa], then it is OK.

The officers at POE did what they were supposed to do; stopping any person on a non immigrant visa planning to staying in US permanently. So don't be angry with the people who are doing their good job.

Good news is they consulted the manager and we were allowed to enter.

They stamped her passport with date of entry.

So she was not denied the entry. Was the initial denial just the vocal conversation? Did they tell you that they have put the initial denial too on their record?

It angers me that as a US citizen I should have any problem at all

bringing a wife of 10 years home to live with me. Especially having

a daughter to clearly identify the validity of our marriage.

You should not have any problem at all bringing your wife to live with you if you follow legal path. In this case you did not. Just out of curiosity, it took you 10 years to think of petitioning for her residency to live with you!!

If they have not put that initial denial record in their system, then i think you can definitely file for i130/AOS later on.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

"It angers me that as a US citizen I should have any problem at all

bringing a wife of 10 years home to live with me."

When I started my visa journey I thought I had rights as a US citizen to have my husband by my side. I found out quickly I didn't.

Filed: Timeline

Bangkok DCF's are under 60 days to IR1 VISA if you (U.S. citizen sponsor) maintain 6+ months residence in Thailand on an appropriate

visa type. (Tourist visa-run scenario does not work).

So were you on a long-stay Retirement Visa or Business/Marriage Non-O / Non-B 1-year extension of stays or similar in Thailand?

If so, just walk the filing over to the USCIS Bangkok office in person. Some had I-130's approved in 48 hours there. I've seen a 28 day end to end but 45-60 days seems more the normal for Bangkok DCF filing.

If you can't DCF, then yes, you'll be waiting much much longer.

Your long U.S. medical trip could interfere with your ability to DCF, so think about that! Perhaps short term medical treatment and then return to DCF your petition.

Also think about Domicile: DCFing you'll need to prove intent to establish domicile, so begin some domiciliary steps while stateside, Lease/Buy Property, Buy a Car, Get Insurance on it, Mobile phone contract, Job, moving quotes, etc. Evidence that you intend to change domicile back or already have changed domicile back stateside. If you AOS stateside instead, most USCIS interviews will be 4 - 9 months out by which time your physical presence in the United States that long becomes de facto domicile and I wouldn't expect domicile questions stateside.. whereas consular DCF interview would.

As for AOS Thinking:

Canvas 2 or 3 immigration lawyers stateside about what happened. Did they Parole her In for Deferred Inspection or admit against the B2 ???

Was the visa revoked? voluntarily rescinded? did you sign anything? notes with INA references in passport?

• Matter of Cavazos, 17 I&N Dec. 215 (BIA, 1980). In the absence of other adverse factors, an application for adjustment by an immediate relative should generally be granted in the exercise of discretion notwithstanding the fact that the applicant entered as a nonimmigrant with a preconceived intention to remain.

Bear in mind that case precedent for Immediate Relative supports the Strength of Family Unity above any PreConceived Intent IF AND ONLY IF that Pre Conceived Intent is the ONLY MITIGATING FACTOR in the filing.... so is it the only mitigating factor?

I-864 DILEMMA ---

You can meet this with Assets or Income that Remains Available to you in the U.S. (Even if its a foreign employer as long as it continues stateside).

For many without the assets, its easier to find work to meet the FPL standard while stateside versus overseas. Consider this.

Otherwise, you can always rely of family stateside as Joint Sponsor as a backup.

CONCLUSION

Many people on this board resent the AOS process when they went through Consular filings and are personally biased against it.... Still since '65 its never been removed from the INA.

That being said, yours is a tricky situation. Case precedent remains on your side but it sounds as though you had PCI and discussed the PCI with the CBP officer at the Point of Entry if I understand you correctly. Even if you are granted discretion (AOS), when you naturalize her, the PCI might come up again (i doubt it though). The bigger issue --- I think you will find yourself very very very stressed during your medical issues over whether it will work out or not.

Thus, I suggest getting a few consults from immigration lawyers, but in your case.... I think you should consider returning to Thailand for a quick- DCF process immediately if you can postpone your procedures and then return 2 - 3 months later with her IR1 VISA.

If you can't DCF in Thailand (due to your visa type), then it would be a much more difficult situation to think about.

Read the Adjudicators Field Manual on USCIS website. You can see the guidelines.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

So she will likely have to leave the US and return to Thailand at some point. I must stay for urgent and ongoing serious health reasons So we are facing the prospect of having our family split for a long time until the Visa process in Thailand is done correctly.

I know it must be terribly frustrating to want your family together, then needing to split for an unknown time. I'm sorry about that. I would suggest that she does not AOS in the states, or if you do, have her leave before the I-94 expires. You may want to submit the I-130 while she is here. If her I-130 is not processed before the I-94 expires, then still, arrange for her to return. The good news (which is not really good news) is that you may be able to get your petition expedited on some level because of your health concern. It depends on whether it is an emergency situation or not.

If your case is going to CSC, you may even want to try for K-3. I did see a Philippine couple recently successful at a K-3 petition as they went through CSC. (K-3 is dead, yes, I know, but it doesn't hurt to try).

You have options still, but if you do AOS with intentions of her staying, I would suggest you at least consult with a lawyer first. An initial consultation can be affordable and can be very valuable.

Signature coming soon...

It's frustrating, yes, but the other posters are exactly right: The border agents were following the law. It's always best to tell the truth; if she'd lied and said she was "just visiting" and then stayed to adjust status, it might have meant a big problem later on.

You have been married for so long it would be obvious that she'd lied on her last entry into the U.S. and did indeed intend to immigrate after all.

Edited by Ortolan

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.