Amhara

Should we do a new medical after arriving in US and before sending AOS packet?

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm looking for feedback on what I'm thinking about: Should we get a new medical exam done by a US civil surgeon before we send off our AOS package?

My fiance's medical was done the end of June, so if he gets here in November and we AOS in November, I'm thinking that the Dallas office may take at the very least, nine months to process the petition. I'm imaging that his medical exam conducted in Kabul will be expired before our petition is looked at and we will get an RFE. But if we do a new medical stateside, then we could avoid that potential RFE.

Good idea or bad idea?

Signature coming soon...

Bad idea (unless his DS-3025 requires him to get an I-693 completed), since the I-693 would only be valid for one year, and it's possible that year would expire before they got to his case.

If you absolutely know he needs an I-693 due to his DS-3025 being insufficient then it would be better to wait until you were either RFE'd for an I-693 or received an interview notice again requiring you to bring an I-693 in-person.

If you are unsure whether he needs an I-693 or not, again it would be better to wait to see whether your DS-3025 is adequate by itself.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

(Spoiler) (/spoiler) but using square brackets.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If he gets here November, I don't think you could send and AOS right away on that month. You gonna have to file for marriage license first and get married. Gather more documents for filling and it would take weeks to finished it. The aos processing now takes only 6 months, mostly of us got our GC on that timeframe. My medical expired before they approve me and I thought I would get an RFE, fortunately they didn't sent me any rfe letter. Lol. So just the AOS only and if they send you an rfe letter then seek for civil surgeon. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Some have received an RFE in the mail or at the interview stating they have to see a civil surgeon for a new medical. I think not all immigration officers clearly know the policies for those adjusting from a K-1.

My answer > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/555299-medical-will-expire-before-the-aos-interview/?p=7703568

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

If he gets here November, I don't think you could send and AOS right away on that month. You gonna have to file for marriage license first and get married. Gather more documents for filling and it would take weeks to finished it. The aos processing now takes only 6 months, mostly of us got our GC on that timeframe. My medical expired before they approve me and I thought I would get an RFE, fortunately they didn't sent me any rfe letter. Lol. So just the AOS only and if they send you an rfe letter then seek for civil surgeon. :)

Thanks for posting your experience! I suppose you are right, getting the petition together may take a bit more time than I am thinking. I think Dallas is taking about 9+ months to process the GC applications. Maybe if we get a waiver letter, it will take less time. Hopefully, we'll see...

Some have received an RFE in the mail or at the interview stating they have to see a civil surgeon for a new medical. I think not all immigration officers clearly know the policies for those adjusting from a K-1.

My answer > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/555299-medical-will-expire-before-the-aos-interview/?p=7703568

This is some great information! I will hope the person working on our case looks at "if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination". Perhaps this is the operative word? I really appreciate your comprehensive references. I will save them in case I need them for the future!

I LOVE Visa Journey!!

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.