kyk503

Applying twice for K-1 Visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I'm a US citizen and previously, I have applied for a K-1 visa for my "ex-fiance". The I-129 was approved and the petition was forwarded to U.S. Embassy for her interview. Right at this time, due to personal circumstances we decided not to get married. (Of course she never followed up with the interview). FYI, I-129 was approved on July 31st, 2014. NVC received the approved I-129 on Oct 21st, 2014.

Since then I've met someone else (who also happens to be a foreigner) and I'm looking to repeat this same process of applying for her K-1 visa.

My concern is, how will the older K-1 visa that I filed (for my ex-fiance) affect the new K-1 visa I intend to file for my new fiance?

I tried calling the USCIS and NVC to try to cancel the first visa but I cannot seem to get a straight answer. Not really sure who to call at this time because these government people either never pick up the phone or give different answers.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Send a letter to cancel the previous K1. Include all important information, etc.

You can apply for your new fiance no problem. Note: A US citizen is only allowed two Fiance visas in a lifetime. I dont think the first application counts because it was not completed but I can't be certain about that.

Don't offer more information than requested. Be truthful of course. Make sure your new fiance knows all about the last one in the event she is questioned. Better you have everything on the table.

Good luck.

January 16, 2013 - I-129F Petition Sent USPS
January 22, 2013 - Petition Delivery Confirmed
January 25, 2013 - NOA1 Email and Text Confirmation
January 30, 2013 - "Touched" Alien Number Generated
January 31, 2013 - NOA1 Letter Received via "snail mail"
June 21, 2013 - Transferred from Vermont

July 6, 2013 - Actual Approval but error did not generate our NOA2

July 17, 2013 - Service Request via USCIS (6 months)

July 22, 2013 - Approval affirmed via USCIS.gov new NOA2 generated

August 2013 - NVC Case # Generated

August 28, 2013 - Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

September 2013 - Medical Complete

October 22, 2013 - Packet returned complete to Embassy via DHL

February 2014 - Interview letter received

March 24, 2014- Interview - EGYPT

April 4 & 7, 2014 - Case Touched Twice - Requested Expedite due to Beneficiary's Mothers Passing (4/1/14)

April 7, 2014 - Passport sent to Embassy via DHL

April 14, 2014 - VISA Received

April 18, 2014 - Flight to USA

July 11, 2014 - MARRIED!!!!

August ,2015 - AOS finally filed ;-)

August ,2015 - RFE

September 2015 - Returned RFE information

November ,2015 - EAD Approved

November ,2015 - EAD Received

December ,2015- AOS Approved

December ,2015- 2 year Green Card Received

November 13, 2016 my little brother passed away :-(

December ,2017 Lift conditions InshaAllah

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You will need to apply for a wavier, as a previous application was approved less than two years ago.

see http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/354888-imbra-waiver-for-second-k1-is-less-than-2-years/

Also, a wavier would be needed if applying for a 3rd K1 visa.

Edited by Lee 23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There was no K-1 application. It never went that far. You only had an approved I-129F petition. Send a letter to withdraw that petition.

You need to include a waiver statement with your next I-129F petition.

From the I-129F instructions > http://www.uscis.gov...i-129finstr.pdf

2. What Filing Limitations Does IMBRA Place on K-1 Nonimmigrant Petitioners?

You must apply for a filing limitations waiver if any of the following apply:

a. You have previously filed K-1 petitions for two or more beneficiaries; or
b. You previously had a K-1 petition approved and less than 2 years have passed since the filing date of such previously
approved petition.

To request a waiver, submit a written request with this petition accompanied by documentation supporting your claim
to the waiver.

~ Moved from K-1 Process IMBRA Special Topics - topic about IMBRA waiver ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

. Note: A US citizen is only allowed two Fiance visas in a lifetime.

That's wrong information.

There is no limit. There is a waiver requirement as mentioned below:

There was no K-1 application. It never went that far. You only had an approved I-129F petition. Send a letter to withdraw that petition.

You need to include a waiver statement with your next I-129F petition.

From the I-129F instructions > http://www.uscis.gov...i-129finstr.pdf

2. What Filing Limitations Does IMBRA Place on K-1 Nonimmigrant Petitioners?

You must apply for a filing limitations waiver if any of the following apply:

a. You have previously filed K-1 petitions for two or more beneficiaries; or

b. You previously had a K-1 petition approved and less than 2 years have passed since the filing date of such previously

approved petition.

To request a waiver, submit a written request with this petition accompanied by documentation supporting your claim

to the waiver.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Thank you for such great answers.

So is there a structured "formal" way to write a waiver? Or is it basically a letter explaining my circumstances that I had no intention to go through marriage with my first K-1 fiance?

If there is a proper way to write a waiver, please teach me.

Thank you again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.