westmeetseast

Just beginning N-400 questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello everybody. Thank you for your help. We just received our removal of conditions and have a permanent resident card (10 year green card) and I want to make sure I understand a few items for this next exciting step.

1--my wife will qualify under the three year rule to apply. The date since resident is May 2013 and so obviously May 2016 is the full three years. Can we apply in Feb 2016 (90 days prior) just like we did for the removal of conditions? I believe that is what the instructions say but I want to be sure.

2--after application is submitted there will be three steps (assuming no rfe)? Biometrics, interview, and oath, is that correct?

3--for the civics questions, I see the 100 questions posted online. Are those the exact questions my wife will be asked? So if I am able to quiz her those 100 questions in random order and she can answer them then she should be considered prepared?

4--for the English test, I see a list of words. What is the format of those tests? Do they ask her to use one in a sentence?

5--My wife is from Thailand and since Thailand is not on the list of dual citizenship countries, she is worried she will lose her status and inherited land in Thailand. Does anyone know of a resource for this?

Thank you all who help others on here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. She will be asked to write some of her answers. She should be familiar with all the vocabulary

5. This is up to the Thai government I believe. In Canada, they do not recognize a verbal renunciation of citizenship (as what will happen in the oath ceremony) so I can stay Canadian even though the US government will not recognize my other citizenship

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Be certain that the date you apply is at least three years after the wedding date. Although one is allowed to apply 90 prior to the 3 year anniversary of the issuance of green card, one must be married at least three years at the time of filing.

Timeline

Also in February when you apply, make sure to count February 29th, it's leap year!

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Timeline

With regard to land ownership, she will still be able to own and inherit property (my father-in-law passed after we were married and my wife now owns part of the land). A foreigner cannot own land, so if your wife purchases land in the future, you will be required to sign away any future claims on the land (basically saying the money used to buy the land was 100% hers).

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Timeline

You might take a look at this thread which gives a source for Thai language inter-lined translations of the "100" questions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/494903-citizenship-test-in-thai-language/

Not current and obviously local to the original source (Seattle Public Library - which by the way has dropped Thai as one of their supported languages, follow the other link). If you have full acrobat you can 'localize' the document. My wife keeps it in front of her for reference while listening to the USCS audio on a MPEG player.

Timeline

You might take a look at this thread which gives a source for Thai language inter-lined translations of the "100" questions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/494903-citizenship-test-in-thai-language/

Not current and obviously local to the original source (Seattle Public Library - which by the way has dropped Thai as one of their supported languages, follow the other link). If you have full acrobat you can 'localize' the document. My wife keeps it in front of her for reference while listening to the USCS audio on a MPEG player.

Wow, thanks for that. My wife started taking her citizenship classes a few weeks given by the Adult School where she does some of her ESL classes. I can't believe how excited she is about it! We send in the N400 on Monday the 19th! Woo hoo, light at the end of the tunnel!

Wow, thanks for that. My wife started taking her citizenship classes a few weeks given by the Adult School where she does some of her ESL classes. I can't believe how excited she is about it! We send in the N400 on Monday the 19th! Woo hoo, light at the end of the tunnel!

My understanding is that the US and foreign countries do not communicate in regards to a persons citizen status. Just keep your US and Thai passports updated and you won't loose any privileges.

I'll be a US citizen next August and already hold 3 other citizenship's :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.