abyj85

Filed I-751 5 months ago, received RFE, need some advice!

10 posts in this topic

Dear fellow forum users,

Hi, I'm new here, just registered. We (me and my wife who is from South Korea) are trying get her CR-1 converted to IR-1 by I-751 petition.

We submitted I-751 this May, 2015 and last weekend on September 26th, 2015 we received RFE in our mailbox.

Me and my wife were both unaware of how much evidences we actually needed to submit, neither did we know existence of this kind of community.

So it's kind of obvious that we got RFE without straight approval.

Below are what we sent initially:

1. Copy of my wife's current conditional green card, front and back

2. Copy of the birth certificate of our daughter (I honestly thought that this document alone should be enough)

3. Copy of renter's insurance policy with both of our names under same residential address

So now we realized that we need much more evidences, trying to gather everything that we could.

Can you please take a look at the list and give us any comments on what could we add possibly? Though I think there are not much more we could add.

Thank you in advance.

What were requested in RFE letter:

-Copies of driver's licenses

-Copy of joint bank account statement: We didn't care to have a joint account untill now. Anyway after getting RFE, we went to the bank and opened one. So there are no transactions showing history, but we have the account detail document showing our names.

-Copies of insurance policies: We have car, health, dental, renter's insurances with our names.

-Copies of credit card statements: While it is not a joint credit card account, I have my wife as an additional authorized user, so statements have her name on it.

-Copies of tax returns: We ordered tax transcripts for year 2012, 2013, 2014 from IRS, hopefully it will be mailed to us soon.

-Copies of rental leases

-Copies of other statement showing our shared residence: We found windshield repair bill, move-in receipt, move-out reminder mail, lease expiration reminder mail that have both of our names. Utility bills come under my name only, same with internet services, so we are not sending those.

They also requested mortgage or loan documents which we don't have because we are renting the house and car loan was applied for my name only because of my wife's minimal credit history.

In addition to what they listed, we are including below items, too

-Copies of marriage certificate

-Copies of marriage pledge and declaration

-Resubmitting copy of our daughter's birth certificate

-Copy of my retirement plan policy showing my wife as a sole beneficiary

-Copy of my certificate of deposit account which shows my wife as a person payable on death

-Copy of envelopes addressed to both of our names

-Sworn letters from people around us (5 letters)

-Copies of plane boarding passes from trips we have taken together

-Screenshot of facebook posts showing pictures of us with date

Any comments would be helpful! We are going to mail it as soon as tax transcripts arrive, so we will update about the progress, too.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Dear fellow forum users,

Hi, I'm new here, just registered. We (me and my wife who is from South Korea) are trying get her CR-1 converted to IR-1 by I-751 petition.

We submitted I-751 this May, 2015 and last weekend on September 26th, 2015 we received RFE in our mailbox.

Me and my wife were both unaware of how much evidences we actually needed to submit, neither did we know existence of this kind of community.

So it's kind of obvious that we got RFE without straight approval.

Below are what we sent initially:

1. Copy of my wife's current conditional green card, front and back

2. Copy of the birth certificate of our daughter (I honestly thought that this document alone should be enough)

3. Copy of renter's insurance policy with both of our names under same residential address

So now we realized that we need much more evidences, trying to gather everything that we could.

Can you please take a look at the list and give us any comments on what could we add possibly? Though I think there are not much more we could add.

Thank you in advance.

What were requested in RFE letter:

-Copies of driver's licenses

-Copy of joint bank account statement: We didn't care to have a joint account untill now. Anyway after getting RFE, we went to the bank and opened one. So there are no transactions showing history, but we have the account detail document showing our names.

-Copies of insurance policies: We have car, health, dental, renter's insurances with our names.

-Copies of credit card statements: While it is not a joint credit card account, I have my wife as an additional authorized user, so statements have her name on it.

-Copies of tax returns: We ordered tax transcripts for year 2012, 2013, 2014 from IRS, hopefully it will be mailed to us soon.

-Copies of rental leases

-Copies of other statement showing our shared residence: We found windshield repair bill, move-in receipt, move-out reminder mail, lease expiration reminder mail that have both of our names. Utility bills come under my name only, same with internet services, so we are not sending those.

They also requested mortgage or loan documents which we don't have because we are renting the house and car loan was applied for my name only because of my wife's minimal credit history.

In addition to what they listed, we are including below items, too

-Copies of marriage certificate

-Copies of marriage pledge and declaration

-Resubmitting copy of our daughter's birth certificate

-Copy of my retirement plan policy showing my wife as a sole beneficiary

-Copy of my certificate of deposit account which shows my wife as a person payable on death

-Copy of envelopes addressed to both of our names

-Sworn letters from people around us (5 letters)

-Copies of plane boarding passes from trips we have taken together

-Screenshot of facebook posts showing pictures of us with date

Any comments would be helpful! We are going to mail it as soon as tax transcripts arrive, so we will update about the progress, too.

Thanks!

When you send back your evidence, write a cover letter to go with it that lists everything they requested, and the document that addresses the item. If you do NOT have an item (such as mortgage or loan documents), then list the reason you do not have it. In your post above - you have a great example:

Requested: Insurance policies

Answer: Copies of car, health, dental and renters' policies listing both names

Requested: Mortgage and/or loan documents

Answer: We are renting the house. Rental documents: Move-in receipt, Move-out receipt (list all of these)

Requested: Car Loan Documents

Answer: Because my wife did not have an established credit history, the car loan is in my name only. However, the car insurance lists both of us.

Good luck to you! I am glad you finally found VisaJourney!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Hi!

It sounds like you have a lot of good evidence for "round two." TBoneX always recommends submitting a will and/or medical power of attorney documents. We submitted my will in addition to a lot of other things. The will also me peace of mind that Joan is protected when I pass (hopefully not for many years, but I am 29 years older than she is). Good luck.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The letters are pretty weak. Anyone can write one. And no one ever writes a bad one.

Focus on comingling of finances, spouse as beneficiary, joint accounts, family travel and activities. Show how you have lived a life together. Anyone can produce a child. That doesn't demonstrate a family. Raising a child together is great evidence. Some photos of memorable moments. The normal things that people do as a family.

Your list looks good.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Thank you all for your comments!

We added couple of joint membership like Costco, but decided not to get a power of will though (hope it's not necessary).

Anyway, we will be sending out the packet tomorrow so I will post the result so you guys can see how it turned out.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Forum users,

I'm really excited to post this comment.

We submitted RFE as I listed above at October 10th, Cali Service Center received at 13th.

We got an awaited mail saying our petition has been approved at October 24th and SURPRISINGLY, got my wife's new green card in the mailbox at October 29th!

Thank you all for the comments. May god bless you all in this visa journey.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

CONGRATULATIONS !!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.