mumbaidelhi

No job application replies. Not even labor jobs.

63 posts in this topic

I am a mechanical engineer with 10 years of experience , worked for a fortune 500 company at my home country. I moved to the usa almost 2 months ago and been applying for jobs online. I was called for interviews at a couple of places. Both interviews went well and they were impressed. But no call from them for over a month now. Almost getting frustrated with no work . Even small time jobs that I apply dont respond. . .. what can I do. .. its pushing me to a point that I go back .. has this got something to being an immigrant??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There are lots of people looking for jobs for months and months. Coming from overseas makes checking your work references more difficult. That could be working against you. Just keep applying and something will come your way.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds pretty common whatever your immigration status is.

Does the company you worked for have US operations?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Agree w/ Anh Map, and theres 1000s and 1000s of kids graduating all the time you have to compete w/ too. They may work cheaper than an experienced/seasoned professional. Market is tight and can vary widely on area. 2mos is nothing. I wouldnt think its the best time of year for openings either with the end of summer.

Edited by coldhands

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Corporate wheels sometimes turn slowly. There's paperwork, the requirement to interview a certain number of candidates of certain races, budget... try not to take it personally, and keep persisting.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

The company that I worked for has an office in the USA . I did try to get a transfer but that didn't work out either. The industry I worked was oil and gas and facing a downturn with oil prices. But everyday i come across numerous jobs that are relevant to my work experience and been applying. something doesn't seem to click.

i assume i am not the only one experiencing this situation .i think unless i do something different i will get the same response ( or rather no response ).

thanks for the support

The company that I worked for has an office in the USA . I did try to get a transfer but that didn't work out either. The industry I worked was oil and gas and facing a downturn with oil prices. But everyday i come across numerous jobs that are relevant to my work experience and been applying. something doesn't seem to click.

i assume i am not the only one experiencing this situation .i think unless i do something different i will get the same response ( or rather no response ).

thanks for the support

I understand your grief because i can relate to your situation. Ive been in the job market for over 3months. I have lost my mind & found it again several times and it is safe to say moving to america is not easy. I also applied to minimum wage jobs in retail but they didn't hire me which came to me as a shock.lol. All u can do is keep searching. I had an interview on Wednesday last week and i still haven't heard anything and i have 3 more interviews this week and next. The bottom line is the search should never stop. Something will come up. All the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like you have good networking opportunities.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

That would be a really cool feature to integrate to VJ. Id love to be able to find something for my fiance with more modest education/skillset or yes myself for more aligned w/ my experience for new opportunity :)

Sounds like you have good networking opportunities.

That's normal. Don't give up. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering too from Pakistan. After getting here in the US, I applied for a lot of job, But was called only once for the interview. Then i took a job at a grocery store as a stocker. I worked that job for about 8 months and then decided to go to College for Masters degree. After one year of Masters, I got a very good job offer.

Just be hopeful. Don't give up. It is hard to get a job in the US based on a foreign degree and foreign experience. My Bachelors degree is from Pakistan too. You probably need to refresh your memory and translate your Indian education to US one by going to college too.

I am a mechanical engineer with 10 years of experience , worked for a fortune 500 company at my home country. I moved to the usa almost 2 months ago and been applying for jobs online. I was called for interviews at a couple of places. Both interviews went well and they were impressed. But no call from them for over a month now. Almost getting frustrated with no work . Even small time jobs that I apply dont respond. . .. what can I do. .. its pushing me to a point that I go back .. has this got something to being an immigrant??

Hang in there. you will get it. i hold a Master in EE and aimed very high(not that it was wrong)but had no network whatsoever.i worked a petty job as a call center supervisor gained valuable experience and great references. got a career job in a year and a half.(i would say that was quite a wait because i live in a hamlet)there is a bag full of jobs throughout the nation.just hang in man as they say 'change is permanent'

There are a lot of jobs in USA. Just start out somewhere. Even working at a fast food restaurant or a grocery store in USA is better than working an Engineering job in India or Pakistan. lol

you appear condescending arslan and i take offense of this. i am reporting you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

It's not got to do with you being a immigrant. The economy is just THAT bad in the USA right now. A lot of people who do have jobs are losing them due to the businesses they work for going out of business. My own business, which made it possible for me to raise 4 kids alone on one income is going to have to close soon.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2014-09-06

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-09-08 I-130

I-130 Appr5oved : 2015-02-22

NVC Received : 2015-03-09

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-03-20

Pay AOS Bill : 2015-03-28

Send AOS Package : 2015-04-28

Submit DS-261 : 2015-04-25

Receive IV Bill : 2015-04-14

Pay IV Bill : 2015-04-22

Send IV Package : 2015-04-28

Scanned date: 2015-04-28

Check list : 2015-06-07

Check list scanned: 2015-06-10

Sent to Supervisor 49 days after scanned: 2015-07-28

Case Complete 7 days after it went to Supervisor: 2015-08-05

Interview Appointment Letter from NVC: 2015-13-10

Case shows as READY 2015-10-19

Medical done: 2015-16-11

Interview Date: 2015-11-18

APPROVED....GOD IS GREAT!!!!! PRAISE THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY! :goofy:

Case changed from "Ready" to "AP" on 19th, then to "Issued" on 22nd

Visa was ready for pick up November 3rd in the afternoon

VISA IN HAND! THANK YOU GOD!

You need to start looking for jobs around st. charles ,LA , laredo Texas or some places in North Dakota. they have oil rigs and boy you will make a fortune. Or since you said you are a ME , why dont you apply at CAT , peoria, IL not sure if you are willing to relocate or whats your location

you appear condescending arslan and i take offense of this. i am reporting you.

That's okay. I mentioned a real fact. In America you have more respect and dignity as a cashier in a grocery store than the treatment you get and discrimination you face at Engineering workplace in India or Pakistan !

Edited by Arslan12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.