London2012

How can I marry a Syrian refugee?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Turkey
Timeline

I am a Syrian-American.

A citizen of the United States, an American passport holder.

In the summer of 2016, I will be traveling to Turkey to volunteer at a refugee camp, and marry a Syrian refugee.

I cannot start the process now because I have not met the girl yet, but I have connections in Turkey, and I will make my decision upon meeting the woman.

I am doing this because I am looking to get married to Syrian Arabic speaker like myself, and I would like to help out a Syrian girl and her immediate family.

I am so sorry if these are noob questions, I am just so unfamiliar with this process, but how does this work?

Can I start the process at the US Embassy in Turkey immediately upon marrying her?

Do I need a Turkish marriage certificate?

What is the fastest one could possibly get her into the United States?

Is there anything that would allow her to immediately come to the USA on a Visa, and finish the marriage process here in the States?

Does she need her Syrian passport, or would a Syrian ID card suffice?

The reason I ask is because I am only going to be in Turkey for 3 months, and would like to bring her into the USA with me, instead of returning and communicating with her through phone/skype on what she needs to do.

Can anyone give me their experience on this one?

Thanks so much guys.

Edited by London2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to What Visa Do I Need - OP still deciding on immigration path~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Can I start the process at the US Embassy in Turkey immediately upon marrying her?

Most unlikely, what will be your status in Turkey.

Do I need a Turkish marriage certificate?

I asume that will be the only one available

What is the fastest one could possibly get her into the United States?

About a year

Is there anything that would allow her to immediately come to the USA on a Visa, and finish the marriage process here in the States?

Nope

Does she need her Syrian passport, or would a Syrian ID card suffice?

Do not know, a passport would definitely be OK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Important part of this is you are looking a woman to marry to help a refugee/ not someone you love

If you are interested in helping refugee, write to congressman and ask if there is a way to help/ write to news media and ask

If immigration thinks this is just to help and not a real relationship, they will not approve

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

So let me get this straight, you don't know yet who you are going to marry, but you're intent on finding somebody to marry so that you can sidestep the normal refugee process for them and their family and "do your part"? Seems like a super bad idea.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

So you are going down and pick a pretty girl who is in need?

This sounds like a bad idea on so many levels!

Good luck proving you are in a real relationship

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Timeline

Marrying to help someone & family is not a bonafide marriage in USCIS eyes

marrying her if you meet and love her eventually in that 3 mths is.

Yes a valid passport is needed for travel worldwide also the marriage certificate

from wherever you both get married & her birth cert.

I know you say you are from that region but be very carful these days traveling to Turkey

The process will take 14-16 mths after marriage, in the meantime you must be collecting

evidences that this is a true on-going love relationship. Have pictures etc

Could this be something of an arranged marriage?

OP, just consider what would happen to her status and yours if you're not approved; if your application is found to be invalid and perhaps even fraudulent. I'm sure getting approved from Turkey is hard enough for legitimate relationships.

2015-03-07: Got engaged (L)

2015-03-30: Sent I-129F to Dallas lockbox

2015-04-14: NOA1 Packet received, sent to CSC

2015-05-07: NOA2 Approved!

2015-06-15: Received Packet 3 by mail

2015-06-17: Sent Packet 3 to Consulate

2015-07-14: Received Packet 4

2015-08-10: Medical in Toronto

2015-08-16: Received medical envelope

2015-08-24: Montreal interview- APPROVED!

2015-08-27: Visa arrives at Loomis location

2015-08-28: Visa in hand!

2015-09-17: Entered USA

2015-10-23: Married!

2016-01-11: Sent AOS Package I-485, I-765, I-131

2016-01-21: NOA1 Package received

2016-02-19: Biometrics

2016-04-01: AOS interview- APPROVED!

2016-04-07: 2 yr cond green card in hand

2018-03-12: sent ROC

2018-03-19: NOA date, 2018-03-24 letter rec'd

2018-05-18: Biometrics appt waived

2019-06-04 New biometrics letter received

2019-06-10 Biometrics

2019-06-18 ROC Approved
2019-06-25 10 year Green Card in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Along with what have been said, by others, you should, never marry for anything else other than love. I'm sure as much as you think this might be helpful, could definitely become a disaster for you both.

Nothing is wrong in going to find a wife, but you must give it time, for you both to fall In love and be sure this is what you both want. Immigration is all about binding together real relationships, for the pure purpose of love and family and nothing else. Good luck!!

That sounds like a bad idea. I understand that you want to help a Syrian girl by bringing her here. But according to US immigration laws marrying to help someone is illegal. There are other ways you can help a refugee by sending donations to him/her in Turkey, Like camps, tents, blanket etc.

You have to slow down and think about your intentions too. Why do you want to help a "girl" only. What do you want in return? Do you think that if you bring a helpless girl to America as your wife, she will be a more submissive wife to you? Before she can be approved of a spouse visa, You have to prove that your relationship is a Bonafide relationship since you are requesting an immigrant spouse visa.

Man, I think others are reading your post wrong. This isn't some bleeding heart dude - he has a legitimate reason for wanting to marry a Syrian woman - he's Syrian native! Dude, there is nothing wrong with wanting someone from a particular nationality/linguistic background. There are several thousand relationships that are started because someone wants to marry from their home country - nothing wrong with that at all.

Oops I am sorry, I missed that too. His profile has Turkey flag. Yes that's correct, If he is already a Syrian native. then that's a different situation. Most people in Syria, Turkey and Pakistan too do arranged marriages anyway.

Do more research on Turkish laws, your Turkish visa (such as extending it - but two foreign visitors/non-resident aliens can get married in Turkey rather easily), if the US Turkish embassy will allow DCF (direct consular filing), and what you will need to do to qualify for the US spousal visa.

If you do fiance or spousal, you will still need time and Arslan brought up great points that you will need to overcome during your USEM interview. Here's some links that may help you in researching your questions:

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/consular_general_information.html

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/consular/packet_35_turkey_100909.pdf

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/turkey/5/instruction_packages/Syrian%20Libyan%20Filing%20I_130%20In%20Turkey%20Instructions%20.pdf

Edited by Amhara

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.