sasha8384

BringING a child to the US

17 posts in this topic

I just want to check. I had a child before my marriage to a US citizen. The child is from a previous relationship, my question is when applying for my child will I need any documents from her birth father in order to take her with me

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Yes, you'll need permission from the father in order to take the child out of the country.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Thank you for helping me. I just want to make sure i get this done, the father and i are not on the best of terms and he is still on love with me and i know he will use our child as a way to keep me in comimg back to his country to see him. (Trust me ...he did it before)

So while at this moment by Gods grace, he is now speaking to me again ( he thinking he can get me to leave my husband for him) i would like to get all i can get sign before his bad ways step in.

Is there anyway to get that before the process starts or do I need to wait until it's called for?

And what do I actually need him to sign is it a specific form or just to write a letter

Edited by sasha8384

But what would I need ....do I need a letter from him or is there a form I need to get him sign...if I need a letter what should it say

Edited by sasha8384

Thank you guys so much.....I have one last thing...

Anyone has like a template of what it needs to say ..if I get one done now is there a time limited on how long I need to have it ...like for example if I had the letter done a year or so ago would that be fine ..or do I need something current.

I just need to know cause he a idiot...he doesn't even do anything for my child ..my husband does everything

Timeline

There's a couple of threads on VJ where people have asked for a template and members have given their input as to the type of wording it should contain. Here's one thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/239449-letter-of-consent-help-please/

I don't think there is a time limit because once you give consent, you give consent and given your situation right now, it's best to get it in writing right now.

Closer to the interview, if you are still on good terms with him, you can try and get an updated letter.

Do you legally have sole custody of the child? You can always include a court order as additional evidence.

F2B

She stays with me since birth he used to pay child support but he stop ....I can't get sole custody as that will make her lose her rights here as a citizen but he did give me a letter that was stamp by a jp saying I am her primary caregiver and he does not contribute to her welfare

Timeline

Okay, then you can include that with the letter as well. The main thing though is the letter so be sure to have that notarized and make sure it states that he is allowing your child to permanently immigrate to the US with you.

F2B

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

There's a couple of threads on VJ where people have asked for a template and members have given their input as to the type of wording it should contain. Here's one thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/239449-letter-of-consent-help-please/

I don't think there is a time limit because once you give consent, you give consent and given your situation right now, it's best to get it in writing right now.

Closer to the interview, if you are still on good terms with him, you can try and get an updated letter.

Do you legally have sole custody of the child? You can always include a court order as additional evidence.

Consent for the child to immigrate is revocable. Once given, it can be withdrawn. The father is free to change his mind up to the point where the child boards the plane.

Timeline

Well in that case, you should explain to the child's father the benefits in having them immigrate to the US. If he changes his mind, convince him that it's best for the child and their future.

F2B

• 5 months later...

I'm having a problem making a new topic so I have to be posting from here. So I'm in the process of sorting out my passport in my married name. My husband and I decided not bring my child with me to settle but now since we are at the nvc stage he says he sorted some things out so I can now bring my child. Do I have to file again for her or can I add her in now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I'm having a problem making a new topic so I have to be posting from here. So I'm in the process of sorting out my passport in my married name. My husband and I decided not bring my child with me to settle but now since we are at the nvc stage he says he sorted some things out so I can now bring my child. Do I have to file again for her or can I add her in now?

Hi

if he is a USC, he must file for your child separately

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.