nnq

Filled out I-864 wrong, confused

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi, I hope this is the correct place.

My wife and I filled out the Adjustment of status and green card paperwork with my father being used for income, but unfortunately got a letter a few days ago saying there was a lot wrong.

I am unsure if everything in the letter is what we supposedly did wrong, but I remember filling out everything and not leaving blank spaces yet that was one of the complaints. Anyway. I was hoping someone could help me figure out what to do for each bullet point because my wife and I are a bit lost.

http://i.imgur.com/ESljngm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j7JeBXz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6O1Ml8O.jpg

Edited by nnq

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

we need more information

are you petitioning for your wife or who is the petitioner and who is the beneficiary?

if you are the petitioner, did you file an i864 as sponsor and your father file another i864 as your joint sponsor?

if so, what documents did he send with the i864, taxes? proof of citizenship or legal permanent resident? letter of employment, paystubs

what did he send with the form?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

It looks likes either you filled lots of info incorrectly and did not provide lots of supporting documents. The RFE is pretty straightforward.

I believe you are the petitioner, you wife is the beneficiary and your father is the joint sponsor.

1st point: Page 3, Part 4 - Whose info did you fill? It seems like you did not fill the information correctly. Did you and your father both fill out i-864 individually? You need to fill in your info in your i864 and you father need to put his info in his i864 in that section. Provide more info what sort of info you and your father entered in that section.

2nd point: Status of joint sponsor - Is your father a US citizen or LPR? It seems like you did not include the documents of his status. Include those.

3rd point: Your father has listed the income. Did you include any proof of income as listed in the RFE? Include as specified.

4th point: submit IRS tax documents - Did you provide any of those??? You need to include yours and your father's tax documents as specified.

5th point: Assets - What is the income of you father listed on i864 and what is your father's household size listed in the form? It seems like the amount is not sufficient to meet the 125% of poverty line for that household size. In that case you need to provide assets as specified.

Overall, as you said you have filled in the form but it seems like either the form has been filled in incorrectly in various places and supporting evidences have not been included with the application.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

hi

we need more information

are you petitioning for your wife or who is the petitioner and who is the beneficiary?

Yes, I am petitioning for my wife.

if you are the petitioner, did you file an i864 as sponsor and your father file another i864 as your joint sponsor?

Yes, both my father and I filled out an I-864 form.

if so, what documents did he send with the i864, taxes? proof of citizenship or legal permanent resident? letter of employment, paystubs

what did he send with the form?

We both sent in or tax returns for the previous three years as requested. I'm guessing that this may be where we went wrong?

Thank you for your help!

It looks likes either you filled lots of info incorrectly and did not provide lots of supporting documents. The RFE is pretty straightforward.

That must be what happened, but I could have sworn I did it correctly. In any case have to make sure it meets their requirements.

I believe you are the petitioner, you wife is the beneficiary and your father is the joint sponsor.

Yes, that is correct.

1st point: Page 3, Part 4 - Whose info did you fill? It seems like you did not fill the information correctly. Did you and your father both fill out i-864 individually? You need to fill in your info in your i864 and you father need to put his info in his i864 in that section. Provide more info what sort of info you and your father entered in that section.

Both my father and I filled out separate I-864 forms. I sent in the previous three years' tax forms as requested.

2nd point: Status of joint sponsor - Is your father a US citizen or LPR? It seems like you did not include the documents of his status. Include those.

My father is a US citizen. Do you know, of the suggested documents, how many are needed? Does just one suffice?

3rd point: Your father has listed the income. Did you include any proof of income as listed in the RFE? Include as specified.

I see the suggestions of what to include. I'm guessing only one is needed, but it would be best to include as much as possible.

4th point: submit IRS tax documents - Did you provide any of those??? You need to include yours and your father's tax documents as specified.

Yes, I did. The previous three years' tax forms. Both mine and my father's. I'm a bit confused on how this is different from Page 3, Part 4

5th point: Assets - What is the income of you father listed on i864 and what is your father's household size listed in the form? It seems like the amount is not sufficient to meet the 125% of poverty line for that household size. In that case you need to provide assets as specified.

My father makes enough to pass the 125% mark. I believe I need to look over what evidence was used.

Overall, as you said you have filled in the form but it seems like either the form has been filled in incorrectly in various places and supporting evidences have not been included with the application.

I had spent quite some time comparing my I-864 forms to others so the problem probably lies in the evidence.

Thank you for helping!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Make sure each of your forms are filled out correctly, listing the correct sponsor's info in Part 4 on each one.

If an employee, include letters from employers and recent pay stubs to prove current income. They want proof of the income beyond showing tax returns.

It is a requirement to provide proof of being a USC or LPR as a joint sponsor. It states this in the I-864 instructions. >

You must provide proof that you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident for joint and substitute sponsors and for relatives of employment-based immigrants who file Form I-864.

1. Proof of U.S. citizen or U.S. national status includes a copy of your birth certificate, certificate of naturalization,
certificate of citizenship, consular report of birth abroad to U.S. citizen parents, or a copy of the biographic data page
of your U.S. passport.
2. Proof of lawful permanent resident status includes a photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident Card or Alien
Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551), or a photocopy of an unexpired temporary Form I-551 stamp in either a
foreign passport or a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Make sure each of your forms are filled out correctly, listing the correct sponsor's info in Part 4 on each one.

As far as I can tell everything is. It must have been the evidence or lack thereof.

If an employee, include letters from employers and recent pay stubs to prove current income. They want proof of the income beyond showing tax returns.

This is something I'll need to make sure of then.

It is a requirement to provide proof of being a USC or LPR as a joint sponsor. It states this in the I-864 instructions. >

You must provide proof that you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident for joint and substitute sponsors and for relatives of employment-based immigrants who file Form I-864.

1. Proof of U.S. citizen or U.S. national status includes a copy of your birth certificate, certificate of naturalization,

certificate of citizenship, consular report of birth abroad to U.S. citizen parents, or a copy of the biographic data page

of your U.S. passport.

2. Proof of lawful permanent resident status includes a photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident Card or Alien

Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551), or a photocopy of an unexpired temporary Form I-551 stamp in either a

foreign passport or a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record.

When I resubmit the form I am going to ensure that everything of the above that I can include is included.

I appreciate your help. Thank you!

Edited by nnq

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I was hoping that someone would be willing to look over my I-864 and my father's I-864's and let me know if anything is wrong.

I changed names and important info.

My dad's:

http://view.samurajdata.se/psview.php?id=2c430a25&page=1

Mine:

http://view.samurajdata.se/psview.php?id=eb4b755b&page=1

Also, since USCIS told us to fix things, what would happen if we made a mistake a second time?

Thank you!

Edited by nnq

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.