Barciur

N-400 - failed to file taxes - no income

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello

I have a question about the question found in Part 11 q. 7a: Have you ever not filed a Federal, State, or local tax return since you became a Permanent Resident?

So I believe I read on these forums that if I failed to file, for any reason, I need to say Yes. I came here as a 13 year old and I was 19 when I graduated high school, and up until I was 20 and got my first job, I didn't file anything because I had 0 income, as I still live with parents. So in my situation - is it still a yes? And if so, what will they ask me to do? The checklist says:

"

If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident, send:
All correspondence with the IRS regarding your failure to file."
But clearly, I do not have any of that - I never filed because I didn't have to. So can anyone guide me in this situation?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Answer is NO.. That question only is applicable if you had a paying job and did not file income tax return. That was what the Immigration officer told me when I had my citizenship interview, because in my first year as a resident I did not have a job and did not file income tax for that year and I answered yes to that question in the form, so she corrected me during the interview.

AOS Journey

1/31/16 - Got married

2/24/16 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent

2/29/16 - Received Date

3/03/16 - Received text and email notification

3/04/16 - Check cashed

3/07/16 - I-797 hardcopy received

3/19/16 - Biometric scheduled received by mail

4/06/16 - I-485 online status changed to Ready to be Scheduled for Interview

4/15/16 - I-485 online status changed to INTERVIEW SCHEDULED

4/17/16 - Interview Notice hardcopy received

4/28/16 - AP & EAD approval date

5/02/16 - AP approval letter received

5/05/16 - EAD card received

5/17/16 - AOS interview

5/23/16 - Online status changed to CASE APPROVE dated 5/18/16

5/23/16 - Received AOS approval letter in the mail

5/23/16 - Online status changed to CARD WAS MAILED TO ME

5/24/16 - Card was picked-up by USPS (online status)

5/26/16 - Green Card on Hand!!! :goofy:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Well, that's great consistency across the board, as this is what it's staed on USCIS website which I just found linked to in another thread

• Item 7: If you did not file a tax return since you became a lawful permanent resident, even if you were not required to file based on your income, check “Yes” and provide a written explanation.

-_-

Nevertheless, your answer puts me more at ease, because if they said that, then I'd assume a simple written explanation that I did not have to file based on income will suffice.

Edited by Barciur

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My daughter was in the same situation as you - she did not have income and was claimed under us. If it makes you fee better you could ask your parents to get their IRS statements from those years and highlight where you are claimed as their dependent.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Hi Baricur,

This is an interesting question. This scope of the current version of the N400 relating to income taxes is definitely broader than its last iteration. When I filed my N400 (immediate version before this one), the language relating to the status of income tax filings was this:

Since becoming a lawful permanent resident, have you ever failed to file a required Federal, State, or local tax return?

There was one year where I earned below the filing threshold, therefore, I did not file a required tax return. It filters out people who didn't file a return because they were not required to. However, the current language tightens that threshold to:

Have you ever not filed a Federal, State, or local tax return since you became a Permanent Resident.

The revision has given USCIS less latitude by removing the word "required" that in a way, compels someone in your position to answer, "Yes". On it's technical merits, you should write "Yes" to this question. However, answering "No" to Part B of the same question should "cure" you of whatever looming inquiries arise from answering yes.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.