visaqueries

Qualify for Citizenship, File, and Move Out of Country While It's Pending?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We are not ready for citizenship yet, but I'm trying to gather some information. Here's our story, so you could help us better.

When living in Egypt, my husband worked with/for an Australian Company. They were a small company and the CEO of the business became close friends with my husband. Despite the fact that my husband lives here in the US, they are still in frequent contact. Their business (Australians' business) is growing, and they feel they would like to have my husband return to their company. He had worked for them for 10 years prior to moving here. There are two parts to this arrangement.

Part 1--They would like him/us to move to Egypt for 2 years to start up a call center. He has the connections to make it work, and they know he would be the perfect candidate for this venture. The start time hasn't been determined yet, but they are definitely trying to be mindful of our immigration journey.

Part 2--At the conclusion of our two years in Egypt, they would like for my husband to return to the states and manage an office for them here. Their business has not ventured to the states yet, but they project it will within the next 5-7 years. They are a travel company.

So, I have several timing questions...if my husband lives here for the required 3 years, and we apply for his citizenship, could we begin the two year journey in Egypt prior to receiving his citizenship (I know it takes a while for paperwork to be processed)? Our intention is to have the US as our home, but this two year stint in Egypt is a part of my husband's desired career path.

Additionally, if the Australians pushed up their timeline, and we had to leave prior to being eligible for citizenship (I know the clock resets), could we leave the country for two years (with the request you have to submit for being out of the country longer than six months...do they allow 2 years???) and maintain his legal permanent residence? We've stated to the Australians we would like to remove his conditions on the green card prior to us starting this venture (does that even matter).

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Seems like he doesn't live and work in the U.S. Once you stay outside for more than 6 months, your citizenship clock will be reset because you will not meet continuous residence requirement even with reentty permit.

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes, but my question is...once we hit the three years of citizenship, can we apply and move prior to him receiving it?

We currently live in the US, and we are trying to negotiate the best path for us. We are residing in the US and will reside in the US except for a 2 year hiatus. We are just trying to determine if we can keep either green card or go for citizenship, so we don't have to reapply for a marriage visa.

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.