BigDaddy28

Will this situation affect my US citizenship?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello:

So while my father was visiting me from overseas, we were talking about our ancestors. I found out that my great grandfather is French by birth. We are thinking about proceeding with the process to acquire the French citizenship as we (starting from grand mother to me and my siblings) are supposed to be French from birth. We are not sure yet but there is a big possibility that all of that is true.

If we indeed acquire French citizenship, does it have any effect on my US citizenship? Will I loose it? I didn't indicate on any forms I sent to USCIS that I was French or might be (didn't know about that) will that be considered as lying?

Thanks I know this might be confusing but I just want to make sure I don't do anything that will jeopardize my status here.

Timeline

I know this has nothing to do with American citizenship but yall might know lol. Is there an age limit to claim French citizenship? Meaning do you have to do it before turning 18? Its okay if nobody knows lol

No idea. I know with the UK in your situation there is no age limit. However when claiming citizenship by descent, you are unable to pass it to your children. In the UK.

Timeline

No idea. I know with the UK in your situation there is no age limit. However when claiming citizenship by descent, you are unable to pass it to your children. In the UK.

Hello kovacs:

First I want to thank you for answering my question and trying to help me with my situation. I did a long research on the internet and I found out that Once you have 1 French parent you are French automatically and that goes all the way down to grand children. Regarding the age I found out as well that there is no age limit to apply so Hopefully pretty soon we will start the process and we will see the result.

Thank you and wish me luck.

if you are going to have an oath of allegiance to France during the process, it might affect your US citizenship. But, if it's just some paper work, then it shouldn't.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Timeline

I don't think we should have an oath of allegiance. From what I found out its all about proving affiliation to a french citizen and than getting a proof of French citizenship.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

you can have dual citizenship so if you are able to go thru the process and become a French citzen

then apply for US someday, you will have to give up Tunisia or France

my daughter in law (British parents) was born in the US and has dual citzenship. I was born in a plane flying over Canada and my parents could have applied for me to also be a Canadian citizen but never did

This is not correct. The US does not care how many passports you hold. Once you hold American citizenship, they simply refuse to acknowledge any legal claim another territory may have over you. So Dual, or Quad, makes no difference.
http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

you can have dual citizenship so if you are able to go thru the process and become a French citzen

then apply for US someday, you will have to give up Tunisia or France

my daughter in law (British parents) was born in the US and has dual citzenship. I was born in a plane flying over Canada and my parents could have applied for me to also be a Canadian citizen but never did

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.