58 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Hello everyone, I am now almost 23 weeks pregnant and I have appointment for medical exemination in wednesday. When i called to make appointment I let them know that i am pregnant but they told me that does not change anything and i still have to do a lung scaning because everyone have to do it or it won't get visa. They also told me that they will give me to wear a protection jacket. My familly doesn't recoment this to me, and no one doctor recomended me to do this while im pregnant because is riskym but my us fiance is telling me that this is totally safe for baby and prgnat woman do x-rays in America. I searched online about this but... Researches in my country say that mo pregant woman should ever do this because its very dangerous for baby but American researches say totally different- that is safe and lung x-rays wouldn't harm a baby. I have my medical in a few days and i have no much time to think about that and I am very scared :(. I don't know what to do. Did anyone had this expiriance before - beeing pregnanat during medical? Is there any chance to avoid this? Plz anyone, help....

Edited by Steven&Jelena

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

It's mandatory. There's no way around it. Yes it carries a risk but you need to choose what's more important. Slight risk, or no visa.

Of course that my baby is more important thats why i want to make sure that she is safe. I don't even know why do we have to do a lung scaning? And even pregnant woman have to do it no mattar what, that is unbelivable!

Thank you a lot for those links.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Of course that my baby is more important thats why i want to make sure that she is safe. I don't even know why do we have to do a lung scaning? And even pregnant woman have to do it no mattar what, that is unbelivable!

Thank you a lot for those links.

It's a slight risk. She should be fine. The X-ray is to check for active TB

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I was also pregnant when I had my medical done and I didn't do the xray.

In sweden pregnant women and children don't do the xray.

Maybe it depends on where you are from

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Timeline

I was also pregnant when I had my medical done and I didn't do the xray. In sweden pregnant women and children don't do the xray. Maybe it depends on where you are from

In Serbia pregnant woman don't do it too, only if woman's life is in denger they do. So tell me more about it... You didn't do scaning but did u still have ur interview without lung scaning or no? Did that effected on your visa approval or not?

Timeline

It's a slight risk. She should be fine. The X-ray is to check for active TB

Thats what my fiance told me too but it confuse me how american doctors say that is ok and serbian doctors say its not recomended at all, someone have to be wrong, i hope american researches are the right one.

Timeline

I had the medical done. Didn't do the xray. The doctor wrote down why I didn't have the xray done and that was it. It wasn't mentioned at the interview or poe or anywhere else for that matter.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Timeline

I had the medical done. Didn't do the xray. The doctor wrote down why I didn't have the xray done and that was it. It wasn't mentioned at the interview or poe or anywhere else for that matter.

That is very good. When did you have your medical done? Was it recent?

Timeline

It was in 2012

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

My IV bill paid March 26

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Thats what my fiance told me too but it confuse me how american doctors say that is ok and serbian doctors say its not recomended at all, someone have to be wrong, i hope american researches are the right one.

Lots of countries have different ideas about what is ok or not. In America we tell pregnant women not to drink alcohol, in France they say it is okay during a certain portion of the pregnancy.

Obviously the health of your baby is very important however I would like to say (as have a couple relatives who work in radiology). There is always a slight risk but it is very slight and they do use a lead "vest" to help protect you. We should actually ALL REQUEST ONE whether we are pregnant or not and cover our reproductive organs when x-raying other body parts as a precaution (as I have family members who work in radiology I have been doing this my whole life as per their recommendation).

NHS (British) article on the matter

We are also exposed to radiation when we fly etc...

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic involves the medical phase. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

To answer your question:

1. Women do receive Xrays all the time in the United States

2. Almost all facilities will use a lead-jacket. This lead apron is laid over the stomach area to protect your unborn child

( Lead completely blocks xrays, just for your information )

3. Even without a lead apron, your child likely would not have any severe issues from it. Like you may already know though: xray is a form of radiation. And the more exposure to radiation that anyone has = higher risk of health related disease.

I would also like to quote one of the sources below:

1. Women should be counseled that X-ray exposure from a single diagnostic procedure does not result in harmful fetal effects. Specifically, exposure to less than 5 rad has not been associated with an increase in fetal anomalies or pregnancy loss.

MSV = millisievert ( the measurement of a radiation dose )

Xray = typically around 5MsV

Computer tomography scans = about 10-12MsV

The average amount of MsV exposure from breathing air over the course of 1 year: 2.28MsV

SOURCES:

* Types of Background radiation we are exposed to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_radiation

* I'm also a nurse.

*An official medical source: "Guidelines for diagnostic imaging during pregnancy"

http://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Guidelines-for-Diagnostic-Imaging-During-Pregnancy

Edited by Karmalious

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.