indhiraastacio

From AP 221g now stuck on READY

19 posts in this topic

Hello. My interview at the embassy was on june 18 and we were handed a 221g for missing documents. We handed in the docs on July 7th and since then our case has been updated like 5 times. On July 27th our status changed from AP to READY to schedule interview. I called the embassy on July 28th because we already had our interview but the passport was returned to us on that day, so the embassy operator sent out an email on my behalf to (im assuming another dept within the) embassy asking how and when should we submit the passport.She sent me a copy of the email and it states that I should hear from them in 1 or 2 days. My question is could it be a mistake or glitch in the ceac system because we already had an interview? Ahas this happened to anyone?

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why was the passport returned to you? Maybe thats the reason its taking too long. They made a mistake of giving it back to you and forgot about it (maybe theyve been looking for it within their office). Well, this is kinda odd.

N-400 process

03/03/16 Submitted N-400 application and docs
03/09/16 USCIS ackn rcpt (txt, email, and NOA1) and chk cashed
03/29/16 Biometrics (walked in - orig date 04/05/16)
04/04/16 In Line for an Interview (txt, email, and checked case status)

05/16/16 Scheduled for an Interview (Case Status Online)

05/20/16 Received I/L
06/24/16 Interview date (PASSED)
07/20/16 Oath-taking at LACC ( I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

When you handed in the missing documents, did you put the case number in the upper right hand corner of each and every page?

If not, get them a new set of the same documents because if you go into AP, the case has been returned to the US and with hundreds of thousand application, no one is going to know to put your documents with the proper case #. My friend has been in AP over a year as this happened to him. He sent for his gf's tax documents; they didn't come fast enough and all came back to the US. They are on hold,

When you handed in the missing documents, did you put the case number in the upper right hand corner of each and every page?

If not, get them a new set of the same documents because if you go into AP, the case has been returned to the US and with hundreds of thousand application, no one is going to know to put your documents with the proper case #. My friend has been in AP over a year as this happened to him. He sent for his gf's tax documents; they didn't come fast enough and all came back to the US. They are on hold,

yes I put the beneficiary's full name, date of birth and case number on the top right hand corner of each and every document submitted.

• 2 months later...

Indira, are you still in ready and not had your visa issued yet too? We have been in Ready since September 3rd, and an update September 10th.

You seem to have gotten more updates than we have, but still nothing? Is your passport at the embassy now?

Signature coming soon...

Can you share the number you called at US Embassy in Dominican Republic as I am having same issues with AP due to 221 G.

im sorry I cant remember the number but go on santo domingo us embassy page and its listed. Good luck.

Indira, are you still in ready and not had your visa issued yet too? We have been in Ready since September 3rd, and an update September 10th.

You seem to have gotten more updates than we have, but still nothing? Is your passport at the embassy now?

my case is back on AP and we still have the passport.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, My husband and I are in the same boat. Interview in June 23, 2015. Husband's passport returned, no paper given, and told Administrative Processing. A month later an email was requesting missing documents (I don't know if this constitutes a 221g, I guess it is). The documents missing, were given to the officer (casilla 12) during the interview (the officer, a she, was very aggressive compare to the other ones in the other casillas). I had to travel back to NY to get the documents again. I mailed them to my husband and he took them to VAC at 360 Galeria. We were told by a very reliable source to give in the passport along with the documents wanted, so we did. This was on August 14 2015. The 60 days have passed. I emailed

support-dominicanrepublic@traveldocs.com, asknvc@state.gov, and sent an email to my district's congressman (house.gov to find your congressman). Ceac still says "Refused" not AP, but read somewhere that getting your congressman involved can shake the tree where the case got stuck. I did that in the past two days, I'm waiting for his response. There is something also called Ombudsman at the USCIS that apparently helps cases like this use by lawyers. You can only do one thing or the other (Congressman or Ombudsman). They say go with the Congressman first. It's been 4 since the interview an no decision yet. My husband is stuck in the Dominican Republic, I'm in NY suffering a storm. I just want to help others as well who are stuck in the process like us. This info might help you. If you have done other thing to help the process along, please blog. This info helps others as well. We need to help each other.

Hi, My husband and I are in the same boat. Interview in June 23, 2015. Husband's passport returned, no paper given, and told Administrative Processing. A month later an email was requesting missing documents (I don't know if this constitutes a 221g, I guess it is). The documents missing, were given to the officer (casilla 12) during the interview (the officer, a she, was very aggressive compare to the other ones in the other casillas). I had to travel back to NY to get the documents again. I mailed them to my husband and he took them to VAC at 360 Galeria. We were told by a very reliable source to give in the passport along with the documents wanted, so we did. This was on August 14 2015. The 60 days have passed. I emailed

support-dominicanrepublic@traveldocs.com, asknvc@state.gov, and sent an email to my district's congressman (house.gov to find your congressman). Ceac still says "Refused" not AP, but read somewhere that getting your congressman involved can shake the tree where the case got stuck. I did that in the past two days, I'm waiting for his response. There is something also called Ombudsman at the USCIS that apparently helps cases like this use by lawyers. You can only do one thing or the other (Congressman or Ombudsman). They say go with the Congressman first. It's been 4 since the interview an no decision yet. My husband is stuck in the Dominican Republic, I'm in NY suffering a storm. I just want to help others as well who are stuck in the process like us. This info might help you. If you have done other thing to help the process along, please blog. This info helps others as well. We need to help each other.

im very sorry to know about your case as I am also waiting. You are doing the right thing by getting your congressman involved, hopefully you will get a positive outcome..may I ask why you were put on ap?

we are very sorry to hear that.... may we know what the reason to refused the visa?!! and what they told during the interview ?!

PD 02/ OCT 2013

NVC

25/march 2015 Welcome letter received with bar-code letter
05/April 2015 DS 261 Completed
01/April 2015 AOS Fee Paid
10/May 2015 Received letter from NVC for approved my DS 261
18/May 2015 AOS and IV sent....

21 May 2015 Scan date .....received email form NVC on 29 of May

29/May 2015 Sent money order by mail for IV fee

04 june 2015 IV Fee Paid (email from NVC on 10 of June )

22 june 2015 received check list letter from NVC For not filling of ds260 !!!!

25 june 2015 scan date for AOS (check list )

26 june 2015 IV paid

29 july CC

interview by 24 sep email received by 31 of august

Hi Everyone:

We weren't told anything (or reason for refusal) at the interview. The officer ( a she) pressed us about my husband's point of entrée. Let me explain his point of entrée briefly; My husband with his own passport, took a flight from the Dominican Republic to Ecuador. These two countries do not need Visas to travel within each other. In Ecuador all they ask for is your passport and returning ticket to automatically give what is call a Tourist Visa 12x. The flight trip made a connecting flight at Miami, Florida (where he got off in his returned from Ecuador). She asked: what do you mean a connecting flight. We tried to explain in Spanish. She got frustrated and told me; you're going to have to translate because I don't understand what he's saying (feisty attitude). She stressed us about; did he used a fake passport (a couple of times).

In addition, the question about how long we've been together (14 yrs. we answered). And the punch line. Have you ever been in trouble with the law? My husband had two previous arrest in 2007 at the grocery where he worked. (for sale of out of state cigarettes and having a video game supposedly promoting gambling. You know those "lucky 7" video machine). No proof was found. The owner hired a lawyer that advised the employees to plead guilty and the owner paid the fines. The lawyer said this would not leave any criminal records (but the arrest would always show up). My husband left that job and never got in trouble with the law again (the Police Clearance shows that). These two offenses are not in the list for inadmissibility (checked before we did the I-601A, which was approved in March 2015).

Furthermore, the officer kept leaving her post (she was probably new and kept asking question to her superior as she seemed to be in a hurry). This is how she ended the interview; she wrote a note in a yellow posted put it on top of the record and was about to walk away when I asked her; wait was going on? She said, oh, here's the passport, was about to leave again, I stop her again and I said, here's the two case dispositions (cut her eyes and snatched them from the within the window). I said, what happens now? She said; Administrative Processing and I said, what does that mean? "You'll be contacted through the means you provided to us (sucking her teeth and cutting her eyes at us)". We were speechless, no paper given with instructions (221g). A month later (on July 21), an email was sent to us requesting again those two case dispositions. We got them again and handed in on August 14 2015. The 30 to 60 are up for a decision.

In conclusion, why the Visa was Refused? I am assuming, One because of the port of entrée (probably checking with Ecuador if he was actually over there for 7 days) and two because of the arrest. During the interview, with the waiver in hand, she kept glancing at it and typing something in the computer. We had more than enough proof for bona fide marriage (lots of family pics [15yrs. worth]). About 10 affidavits from family and friends, Police Certificates Clearance from both countries. The Visa should've been approved on the spot. But her attitude sucked, Jesus Christ. Is as if she was looking for an excuse from any end and couldn't find one.

Sorry for the story. As you can see, I can not tell where we went wrong. The interview was for 10 am, we were almost the last ones in there to get interview. Could it have been cause she was tired, bitter? I don't know, what do you all think?

blessedwater

very bad to hear that its better for you to hire lawyer as your case moved in legal way ..... good luck

PD 02/ OCT 2013

NVC

25/march 2015 Welcome letter received with bar-code letter
05/April 2015 DS 261 Completed
01/April 2015 AOS Fee Paid
10/May 2015 Received letter from NVC for approved my DS 261
18/May 2015 AOS and IV sent....

21 May 2015 Scan date .....received email form NVC on 29 of May

29/May 2015 Sent money order by mail for IV fee

04 june 2015 IV Fee Paid (email from NVC on 10 of June )

22 june 2015 received check list letter from NVC For not filling of ds260 !!!!

25 june 2015 scan date for AOS (check list )

26 june 2015 IV paid

29 july CC

interview by 24 sep email received by 31 of august

All in all, we are still waiting. Many of you might ask or think; why not hire a lawyer? I worked with lawyers of all fields for 9 years. My experience there, helped along the way to file the proper paperwork and collect the evidence necessary. At this point there's nothing else even a lawyer can do besides what I am doing and already have done. Administrative Process is a black hole in the immigration process. One can not inquire within unless 60 days have past. But, I heard from colleagues, that having your district Congressman involved is a great way to "shake the tree where the file is stuck". The worst of this system is that, you do not know or have the chance to dispute the grounds of a denial until the end. In which, one would have to start the whole process again? That shouldn't be the case. Being a U.S. government agency, American Citizens petitioning their spouses or family members should have the right to appeal Any of the cases denied providing it can be proven; Someone in the office made an Error, lost of file, or have additional evidence that can help a case. I have used all my resources, researches, and experience to move the case along. But like everyone else (I'm not an exception), I have to sit, wait, and be patience (very patience). Some days, I am fine, and some days, I loose it. Compare to cases where a settlement is reach in 5 to 7 years, these is a goner. We need The Immigration Reform Now!!

Your Friend

Blessedwater (Blessed be with patience) (I am not a lawyer, neither give legal advised. Comments are mere life experiences shared on this forum)

All in all, we are still waiting. Many of you might ask or think; why not hire a lawyer? I worked with lawyers of all fields for 9 years. My experience there, helped along the way to file the proper paperwork and collect the evidence necessary. At this point there's nothing else even a lawyer can do besides what I am doing and already have done. Administrative Process is a black hole in the immigration process. One can not inquire within unless 60 days have past. But, I heard from colleagues, that having your district Congressman involved is a great way to "shake the tree where the file is stuck". The worst of this system is that, you do not know or have the chance to dispute the grounds of a denial until the end. In which, one would have to start the whole process again? That shouldn't be the case. Being a U.S. government agency, American Citizens petitioning their spouses or family members should have the right to appeal Any of the cases denied providing it can be proven; Someone in the office made an Error, lost of file, or have additional evidence that can help a case. I have used all my resources, researches, and experience to move the case along. But like everyone else (I'm not an exception), I have to sit, wait, and be patience (very patience). Some days, I am fine, and some days, I loose it. Compare to cases where a settlement is reach in 5 to 7 years, these is a goner. We need The Immigration Reform Now!!

Your Friend

Blessedwater (Blessed be with patience) (I am not a lawyer, neither give legal advised. Comments are mere life experiences shared on this forum)

Did you hear anything from the Congressman? Is your spouse in the states? Sorry it's that the arrest reference you made confused me a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone:

I have not heard anything from the Congressman, but I contacted the Senator through email (Senator.gov). In his website I prepared a statement. It goes straight to his office, but you have to print out the statement, sign it and fax it (it was quicker and easier). It says the office needs a consent from the petitioner to inquire within.

My spouse left in May 2015 to attend the interview. He left a couple of weeks before to do the Medical Exam and fingerprinting as you need it for the interview. We had to change the interview date due to not receiving the Approved I601A (supposedly it got lost in the mail). It arrived 2nd week in June 2015. I had to wait for it and take it to him as I needed to show at the interview; June 23 2015.

The last question asked by the official was; have you ever been in trouble with the law? My husband has two arrest from 2007 (he worked at a grocery store). During working hours the police went in, as someone called and said, the store is selling cigarettes from another state. Being from NYC and the high tax due on the cigarettes, they are not allow to sale cigs from another state. Even thou, no evidence was found, the lawyer, the owner hired for his employees who got arrested, advised them to plead guilty of Petty charges and pay a fine. No criminal record, although an arrest always shows. Case resolutions say; Fine paid (Case closed and seal). This charges are normally dismissed or dropped, that's why they're closed. It doesn't normally show on a background checkup. Sometimes the fingerprinting are thrown away and mug shots (which there was no information available on the case when we went to get the Police Certificate. The officer there was very helpful and pull up his rap sheet and it didn't even have fingerprints or mug shot). Record was Clear.

However, when the official asked the questions. We told her what happened and she ended it there. Nothing said, she put a yellowstub on the record and was about to leave when I stop her to give her the case dispositions. She then passed us his passport in hurry and I said wait, what now? That's when she said Administrative Processing, you'll be contacted through the means you provided us. A month later we got an email from the embassy asking for case resolutions again in order to process the visa. I had to leave my husband behind and come back to NY to get those papers again (handed in, on August 14 2015). They gave him a receipt and have not heard anything from them yet. There are occasional updates on the ceac.state.gov., but that's it. I sent numerous emails to support-dominicanrepublic@traveldocs.com, but always get a generic answer. (case updated and check status on ceac).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.