chaoticlogic

Cosponsor allowed for K1 visa in Madrid Spain?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I will be a student by the time my fiancée has her interview. I don't make enough money to sponsor, but my mother does and is willing to be a cosponsor. I've heard that some embassies so not allow cosponsors for K1 visas because they are not legally binding. O realize that both my mother and I have to fill out separate Affinidavit of support forms along with the required paper work. We will both have all that ready. Does anyone know if this will be allowed / accepted at the US embassy in Madrid? My mother makes more than enough to cosponsor.

Thanks so much.

K1 until Green Card

01/13/15 - I-129F package sent

01/15/15 - Arrived at Texas Service Center (sigh...)

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/16/15 - Case was approved!

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

07/24/15 - Case sent to NVC

08/03/15 - NVC Case # Assigned / Case sent to embassy (estimate)

08/05/15 - Arrived at embassy

08/12/15 - Packet 3 received

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

08/28/15 - Packet 4 received

09/28/15 - Medical

09/30/15 - Interview - approved

10/07/15 - K1 Visa in hand

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

12/15/15 - I-485 package sent
02/29/16 - I-485 approved (interview waived)

03/08/16 - Green Card in hand

Timeline

Anyone at all? I sent an email to the US Embassy in Spain last December. Although they said "Dear Mrs. XXXXXX" (I'm a male) I still think it's fine. I'm sorry I'm pestering everyone with this. I just found this email yesterday that I totally forgot that I had sent. Do you guys think this is evidence enough that Madrid does accept cosponsors?

Here is how it went:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Dec 29, 2014 9:15 AM
Subject: RE: Co-Sponsor K1 Visa
To: XXXXXX
Cc:

Dear Mrs. XXXXXX,

Your fiancé can bring a form I-134 and supporting documents from you and another one from a co-sponsor.

Regards,

U.S. Embassy Madrid

Consular Section

Immigrant Visas

Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2014 9:20 PM
To: ivmadrid
Subject: Co-Sponsor K1 Visa

Hi,

I am in the process of filing a K1 Visa and I realize that for the interview in Madrid for my fiancée, she will need to present the Affidavit of Support document. I, as the primary sponsor, do not meet the income requirements. However, my mother, with whom I currently live, does and is willing to be a co-sponsor. I have heard that certain consulates / embassies do not allow co-sponsors for the Affidavit of Support for K1 Visas. I was wondering if you (the US Embassy in Madrid) did accept co-sponsors for the beneficiary?

Thank you so much in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by chaoticlogic

K1 until Green Card

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

09/28/15 - Medical

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

Timeline

From the email they sent you it sounds like they do.

I'm 98% sure they accept cosponsors anyway- I've heard of American citizens that had been living in Spain with either their fiance or spouse and needed a cosponsor since they didn't have a US income. Actually that's basically why I'm planning on having a cosponsor- I haven't made enough in Spain to pay US taxes in years and although my US job meets the requirements I will have only just started working by the time we have an interview.

So I wouldn't worry if I were you, especially based on that email.

Timeline

Thank you for replying! I'm glad someone finally did!

Also, reading some of the reviews for the US Embassy in Madrid, I found one from 2013 where the fiancee stated she used a cosponsor and there were no problems.

I don't see it being an issue, I'm just going a little crazy right now with everything haha. My mom and I got the Affidavit of Support stuff ready and I'm sending it to my fiancee tomorrow. Still waiting for the NVC to get my petition.

Good luck on your journey, and again, thank you for responding.

K1 until Green Card

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

09/28/15 - Medical

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

Timeline

Hi,

We used a cosponsor in Madrid for our K1-visa as my (now) husband was studying at the time of the interview. It was not a problem at all. Even though that was in November 2012, so I don't know for sure if they have changed something. The interview was pretty easy for me, you can read my review about it.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.