tammy_sheldon

We divorced, do I need to do anything now?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My then fiancé from Jamaica came to America on a K1 VISA. We were married, but never filed the change of status paperwork. He has technically been staying here on an expired VISA from my understanding. He left and went to New York to party. He was convinced that he could get a divorce from me and then marry another US citizen and stay in the country. We are now officially divorced, however he has met with an immigration lawyer, realized he was wrong and he is now asking me to sign a waiver to let him stay in the country? I am not sure what paper he is wanting me to sign, but as we are now divorced and he has not been honest with his intentions from the start, I do not wish to have any further contact with him. Do I need to report him to immigration to let them know we are no longer married and his VISA is expired? I don't necessarily want to make his life hell, I just do not want any further connection, ties, or responsibility for him. I am not even exactly sure where he is in New York, I have a possible address and phone number, but that is all. I am not sure if I am posting this in the right area, but as I started with a K1, I thought I would ask here :) Thanks for any information you can give me!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I would not sign anything. Block his calls, and ignore him. You can make an infopass appt to your local office and let them know that you are divorced, and do not want any further involvement in his immigration case.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

DO NEVER help him to stay here. BAD PEOPLE SHOULD BE PUNISHED.

At the same time, protect yourself well. Move forward and be happy.

K1 VISA

06/14/2014 I-129F sent       06/16/2014 Noa1         10/14/2014 Noa2        11/07/2014 Package3         12/08/2014 embassy interview / approved!!        12/10/2014 Visa in hand

AOS

12/31/2014 I-485/I-765/I-131 sent        01/06/2015 Noa1        01/30/2015 Biometrics        02/27/2015 AP&EAD approved       07/20/2015 interview(approved on the spot!)

ROC

4/26/2017 I-751 sent        5/12/2017 Noa1       10/15/2018 interview (combo)

Citizenship

4/22/2018 N-400 sent      4/23/2018 Noa1        10/15/2018 interview (combo)+Oath ceremony! 

Filed: Timeline

Cut all ties & communications, sign nothing, move on as you have

and leave his trifling behind to time, you have done fine so far

don't let resentment take over...Act as if you never knew him he's

dismissed...You don't need to report him his day is coming without

your help, leaving you with a clean heart....best wishes sister

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Agree with the others, cut all communication with him, get an info pass at ur local office and give them all relevant information and walla lol... Nothing more to discuss with ur ex. I'm happy he made that stupid decision and that you didnt went ahead and helped him with adjusting his status. People like these all over make it bad for others.

You must be so blessed and happy without him.

AOS Date Filed : 2015-05-27

Got rejection notice on May 29, 2015 for an incomplete application

Receive rejected application on June 6, 2015

Resubmit June 8, 2015

Delivered June 9, 2015

NOA Date : 2015-06-16

Bio. Appt. : 2015-07-06

EAD and AP Approved Date : 2015-08-14

Date Combo Card Received : 2015-08-21 (Received my card about 6hrs apart on the same day they sent an e-mail that they shipped my card).

Receive Potential Interview Waiver Letter: September 9, 2015 sigh!!
AOS Approved without interview 2015-10-08 :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :star: 3 MONTHS AND 22 DAYS AFTER NOA1 (F)
(L)In God I Put My Trust :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Effects of Major Changes forum, where similar issues are often discussed. ***

[Moderator hat off]

You have the choice of cutting off all contact and forgetting about him, taking what you know (= your proof of his whereabouts & illegal status) to the FDNS officer at a USCIS InfoPass appointment, or both.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My then fiancé from Jamaica came to America on a K1 VISA. We were married, but never filed the change of status paperwork. He has technically been staying here on an expired VISA from my understanding. He left and went to New York to party. He was convinced that he could get a divorce from me and then marry another US citizen and stay in the country. We are now officially divorced, however he has met with an immigration lawyer, realized he was wrong and he is now asking me to sign a waiver to let him stay in the country?

There is no waiver and nothing you can do to help him even if you wanted to.

I am not sure what paper he is wanting me to sign, but as we are now divorced and he has not been honest with his intentions from the start, I do not wish to have any further contact with him.

And do not.

Do I need to report him to immigration to let them know we are no longer married and his VISA is expired?

Nope, move on.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My then fiancé from Jamaica came to America on a K1 VISA. We were married, but never filed the change of status paperwork. He has technically been staying here on an expired VISA from my understanding. He left and went to New York to party. He was convinced that he could get a divorce from me and then marry another US citizen and stay in the country. We are now officially divorced, however he has met with an immigration lawyer, realized he was wrong and he is now asking me to sign a waiver to let him stay in the country? I am not sure what paper he is wanting me to sign, but as we are now divorced and he has not been honest with his intentions from the start, I do not wish to have any further contact with him. Do I need to report him to immigration to let them know we are no longer married and his VISA is expired? I don't necessarily want to make his life hell, I just do not want any further connection, ties, or responsibility for him. I am not even exactly sure where he is in New York, I have a possible address and phone number, but that is all. I am not sure if I am posting this in the right area, but as I started with a K1, I thought I would ask here :) Thanks for any information you can give me!!

Just want to add that your post seems makes you sound very clear - and very strong - good on you. Good luck.

I-751

NOA8/11/17

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

These make it hard on all of us who honestly love the other

I am so sorry for what you go thru

i would let immigration know you withdrawal support

Not sure why these people are not deported or sent to Federal Prison as what he did to get here is fraud

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

since there was no I-864 in play during an adjustment of status case, there is no further support to withdraw, as the I-134 expires the day the I-94 expires.

With that said, hey ! OP ! what do you want to do ? TBoneTX wrote about the 2 choices, paths...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can wish him a good luck lol

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Effects of Major Changes forum, where similar issues are often discussed. ***

[Moderator hat off]

You have the choice of cutting off all contact and forgetting about him, taking what you know (= your proof of his whereabouts & illegal status) to the FDNS officer at a USCIS InfoPass appointment, or both.

I agree

Here is My TimeLine for my VisaJourney :

Note : This is a US.Citizen applying for relatives category

• Service Center : Vermont Service Center
  • Consulate : Morocco
  • Marriage (if applicable):
  • I-130 Sent : 2014-11-16
  • I-130 NOA1 : 2014-11-23
  • I-130 RFE : 2015-03-26
  • I-130 RFE Sent : 2015-03-30
  • I-130 Approved : 2015-04-16
  • NVC Received : 2015-05-04
  • Assigned Case Number : 2015-05-14
  • Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-05-19
  • Pay AOS Bill : 2015-05-29
  • Send AOS Package : 2015-05-27
  • Receive I-864 Package : 2015-05-14
  • Submit DS-261 : 2015-05-28 ( The website was down for almost 3 weeks , no one was able to log in )
  • Send IV Package : 2015-05-27
  • Checklist: 26 June 2015 [ Non-submission of DS 260] i was not able to submit it due to the website issue ]
  • Submit DS-260 05 July 2015
  • Case Completed 05 August 2015
  • Interview scheduled on 9/11/2015
  • Interview shceduled for 10/14/2015
  • Interview Status : Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Karma justice taking effect now.. Do you really want to have anything to do with him again?

It's up to you!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.