ILikeSmores

2015 Military enlistees

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Anybody joining the military this year? I just got my green card approved after the interview :D :D !!!

Could not be happier, as soon as I get my card in mail I will be walking busting into recruiters office and join the Guard or Reserves.

I will be joining under Conditional Green card..is anybody joining or plan on joining ?

(4/13/15): Uscis received my documents AOS EAD

(4/17/15): Notice date for Biometrics

(5/06/15): 11am, Biometric done

(6/20/15) Letter received for i-485 interview for (July 22nd 2015 9:35am wednesday)

(6/24/15): (on June 29th, I was annoyed because I have not heard anything about my i-765 for EAD, and case status was not updated since April 13th saying we received your package. So I called USCIS and after talking to them for awhile I found out my I-765 was already approved and letter was sent at June 24th 2015, so that was a good news, but I still have not received my approval letter yet and my case status is still not updated.

(6/29/15): Called USCIS regarding my i-765 EAD, read (6/24/15)

*(6/29/15): Went home later that day after college, and found out I did receive my i-765 approval letter :D But case status online still not updated.

(7/9/15): EAD Recieved :D

(7/10/15): Applied for SSN

(7/22/15): Aos Interview

(7/23/15): Green card / Interview approved card in production

(7/27/15): Welcome Notice mail received in mail ^~^

(8/01/15): Social Security Card Arrived :D

(8/10/15): Permit acquired :) 1 wrong on written test. (9/01/15): Behind the wheel test

(8/19/15): Notification my Green Card has been mailed :3

(8/20/15): Approved for my very first credit card (Amazon store card, $800)

(8/20/15): Green Card is finally here ! its so sexy!!!

(End of my AOS journey)

(Military / Citizenship)

(8/21/2015): Talked to Marine Corps recruiter, Fixed my Social Security card (Work Only DHS Removed)

(8/24/2015): Practice Asvab taken

(8/15/2015): First Poole program as a guest, tiring day

(8/28/2015): New SSN arrived, (Unrestricted)

(8/29/2015): Went to see my recruiter to sign documents with my wife

(9/12/2015): First time visiting Korea in 17 years. Thanks to my Green Card

(11/04/2015): Passed my Drivers license test after 2 tries, at Santa Teresa DMV.

Congratulations on the interview. I wish you well with the military too. My wife from the Philippines joined the Air National Guard in 2012.

Anybody joining the military this year? I just got my green card approved after the interview :D :D !!!

Could not be happier, as soon as I get my card in mail I will be walking busting into recruiters office and join the Guard or Reserves.

I will be joining under Conditional Green card..is anybody joining or plan on joining ?

Filed: Timeline

Congrats!!! Please let us know how the process go for you. I am interested in joining as well. Thanks!!!

02/07/2015 - Day 0 - AOS application (I-130 & I-485) sent

02/10/2015 - Day 3 - AOS received in Chicago Lockbox

02/13/2015 - Day 6 - Checks cashed (both forms)

02/13/2015 - Day 6 - Texts and emails notifications

02/20/2015 - Day 13 - NOA1 hard copies (4 forms)

02/23/2015 - Day 16 - Biometrics appointment letter

02/24/2015 - Day 17 - Biometrics walk-in (15 mins)

03/03/2015 - Day 24 - Email notification for RFE (Form I485)

03/10/2015 - Day 31 - RFE sent

03/12/2015 - Day 33 - RFE response received

04/16/2015 - Day 68 - EAD/AP combo card ordered

04/22/2015 - Day 74 - EAD/AP combo card received

Timeline

Thanks guys :D Still waiting on green card before going into recruiters office. I really have been leaning towards wanting to go to Navy reserves as HM, and 2nd, National Guard as 68w,

(6/20/15) Letter received for i-485 interview for (July 22nd 2015 9:35am wednesday)

(6/24/15): (on June 29th, I was annoyed because I have not heard anything about my i-765 for EAD, and case status was not updated since April 13th saying we received your package. So I called USCIS and after talking to them for awhile I found out my I-765 was already approved and letter was sent at June 24th 2015, so that was a good news, but I still have not received my approval letter yet and my case status is still not updated.

*(6/29/15): Went home later that day after college, and found out I did receive my i-765 approval letter :D But case status online still not updated.

(8/10/15): Permit acquired :) 1 wrong on written test. (9/01/15): Behind the wheel test

(End of my AOS journey)

(Military / Citizenship)

(8/21/2015): Talked to Marine Corps recruiter, Fixed my Social Security card (Work Only DHS Removed)

(11/04/2015): Passed my Drivers license test after 2 tries, at Santa Teresa DMV.

Filed: Timeline

ILikeSMores, I spoked to a Navy recruiter a while ago and she said you have to be active duty to get naturalization in Bootcamp. Reserve is gonna take 1 year or more to be qualified.

02/07/2015 - Day 0 - AOS application (I-130 & I-485) sent

02/10/2015 - Day 3 - AOS received in Chicago Lockbox

02/13/2015 - Day 6 - Checks cashed (both forms)

02/13/2015 - Day 6 - Texts and emails notifications

02/20/2015 - Day 13 - NOA1 hard copies (4 forms)

02/23/2015 - Day 16 - Biometrics appointment letter

02/24/2015 - Day 17 - Biometrics walk-in (15 mins)

03/03/2015 - Day 24 - Email notification for RFE (Form I485)

03/10/2015 - Day 31 - RFE sent

03/12/2015 - Day 33 - RFE response received

04/16/2015 - Day 68 - EAD/AP combo card ordered

04/22/2015 - Day 74 - EAD/AP combo card received

It took my wife a total of 2 months after completing Basic Military Training for her to take the oath of nturalization. She was in the Air National Guard.

Actually, in the Reserves or Guard it does not matter the branch of service once completing baic training. You simply submit the required paperwork to the proper location for military members, regardless of branch of service, and you naturalize.

ILikeSMores, I spoked to a Navy recruiter a while ago and she said you have to be active duty to get naturalization in Bootcamp. Reserve is gonna take 1 year or more to be qualified.

You need to make sure you get what you need from your recruiter.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

We did... And when my wife pointed it all out to them the Air Force personnel processing my wife at basic training harshly told her "We aren't doing that anymore!". Obviously, as a trainee, you arent in much a position to argue. Heck, I remember when I went through Army basic training when I disputed the blood type they said I had. That was a bit frightening in of itself. The drill sargent told me with a snarl "You had G@! D!@# better be right, tranee!". So they tested me again, and I was right, thank God. But it can be a tad bit intimidating to argue at basic training. :/

But we were none the worse for it. Like I said, 2 months after completing basic she was a US citizen, processing it as a military member. And like I said, there were 19 that were eligible...my wife saw the list. But they only did it for one. Air Force is the least cooperative of all the branches of the military when it comes to immigrants. Army is a heck of a lot easier, from what I have heard. But 2 months longer a wait for us was nothing. We werent in that big of a hurry, as long as it was still free,

You need to make sure you get what you need from your recruiter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We did... And when my wife pointed it all out to them the Air Force personnel processing my wife at basic training harshly told her "We aren't doing that anymore!". Obviously, as a trainee, you arent in much a position to argue. Heck, I remember when I went through Army basic training when I disputed the blood type they said I had. That was a bit frightening in of itself. The drill sargent told me with a snarl "You had G@! D!@# better be right, tranee!". So they tested me again, and I was right, thank God. But it can be a tad bit intimidating to argue at basic training. :/

But we were none the worse for it. Like I said, 2 months after completing basic she was a US citizen, processing it as a military member. And like I said, there were 19 that were eligible...my wife saw the list. But they only did it for one. Air Force is the least cooperative of all the branches of the military when it comes to immigrants. Army is a heck of a lot easier, from what I have heard. But 2 months longer a wait for us was nothing. We werent in that big of a hurry, as long as it was still free,

Air Force is more exclusive and a much bigger pain in many ways but they take of you the best.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I started my process with Marine corp recruiter, but I had Navy in my mind, and still do. I only talked to Marine guy because Navy office was closed :(

(End of my AOS journey)

(Military / Citizenship)

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I started my process with Marine corp recruiter, but I had Navy in my mind, and still do. I only talked to Marine guy because Navy office was closed :(

Forgive me if I sound gruff, but you settled for a different branch simply because one office was closed? Can't wait twelve hours lol?

I mean, I get it; when I joined, I wanted to strolled in and say, "Send me now," but I weighed all my decisions quite carefully. Remember, this is at minimum the next four years of your life here. I get Guard and Reserves are different than Active, but still.

When I joined, I was at polar opposites of the spectrum. I wanted either Marine Corps or Air Force. I talked to both recruiters, I weighed every factor. In the end, the Air Force was offering many more things I wanted (especially in the realm of education and jobs). So I took that. Been in nine years as of next month and no end in sight *knocks on wood.*

But you don't gotta get a process started with the Marines just because the Navy guy's off somewhere else. Just go back the next day. :D

I am the USC.

The member "Khaleesi" is my beautiful wife.

• 2 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.