12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey VJs,

Those who applied for passport or those who may know the answer from other sources.

I applied for the passport last Sunday. I was freaking out to give away my only proof of the immigration status...But they require to attach the original naturalization certificate. And the lady who served me at the agency said they will send my certificate back within a week although the passport will arrive in 4-6 weeks.

It's been a week and three days - I haven't got the certificate back. Does anyone know what's the normal wait? Should I call them and ask?

Thank you.

Edited by olna83

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You should be getting it soon. They give a timeframe but normally it's really an estimate that is based on many things. If it were I...I would wait one more week. In all my years and everyone I've ever come across, I have yet to see anybody's documentation get lost from the passport folks. I dealt with upwards of about 500 passports processed in my prior position at my job..and personally.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Took two weeks before I got mine back. Think it's a very weak system that people need to send the original certificate and it's even worse that they won't pay for a replacement if it's getting lost.

I am not sure if what she told you is right. They send the certificate after issuing the passport not before

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

She had no idea what she was talking about (it's okay--just because they accept passports doesn't mean they know the rules particularly well or the process). The current passport processing time is currently 4-6 weeks and you shouldn't expect to get the passport or the cert until this time period. You may very well get the cert after the passport.

If I were you I would not start worrying at all until the 6 week mark, and you can see the status online with your passport receipt number, though the status doesn't update particularly well; basically there is either "yes we have your application" and "we've issued the passport".

Getting the cert first by weeks makes no sense. It is a crucial part of the packet and the adjudication of the application requires it, so it is looked at during the actual processing of the passport.

Edited by ExPatty

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

She had no idea what she was talking about (it's okay--just because they accept passports doesn't mean they know the rules particularly well or the process). The current passport processing time is currently 4-6 weeks and you shouldn't expect to get the passport or the cert until this time period. You may very well get the cert after the passport.

If I were you I would not start worrying at all until the 6 week mark, and you can see the status online with your passport receipt number, though the status doesn't update particularly well; basically there is either "yes we have your application" and "we've issued the passport".

Getting the cert first by weeks makes no sense. It is a crucial part of the packet and the adjudication of the application requires it, so it is looked at during the actual processing of the passport.

Thanks ExPatty!

That's very strange...She did say I should receive my passport in 4-6 weeks which is a standard option. And also she mentioned that I should receive my certificate sooner. I thought at first that this is the process. Once the information on the certificate is verified on their end the passport is then due for generating and printing which will take a few weeks, and the certificate is heading back to me in the meantime.

Anyways, thank you for the comment. Based on your and other VJs' experience I shouldn't worry at this point.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from main US Citizenship forum to the "Passports, etc." subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I got my passport first, it came after like 2 weeks and my certificate came later.

They also bent it in the process of mailing it so it had a crease mark on it. I was mad.

Don't worry they will send you everything.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only way I know to be able to hold on to your certificate when applying, is to apply at a Passport Agency. They will review the original certificate when they take your passport application and give it back right their. The Dept of State does not extend the ability of Acceptance Agencies to verify proof of citizenship, so you have to send your original naturalization certificate with the application.

Edited by dioxide45

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.