TBoneTX

"Obama Modifies Oath of Allegiance for New Americans, Removes Pledge to Defend the USA"

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

http://conservativepost.com/obama-modifies-oath-of-allegiance-for-new-americans-removes-pledge-to-defend-the-usa/

Obama Modifies Oath of Allegiance for New Americans, Removes Pledge to Defend the USA

New "adopted" Americans won't have to pledge to defend the USA. Yes, you heard it right! Obama's administration removed the lines that required that.

Obama's U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ruled that effective on July 21 of this year [2015], some candidates for naturalization will skip the services clause while taking the oath to become Americans.

So that means that in an age when people are streaming here to pretend to become Americans in order to commit acts of terror, now Obama won't even ask them to voice the words that they will defend the USA.

The current oath reads as follows:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Next: "so help me God"?

The link to the USCIS directive is available through the cited URL above.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I disagree. The policy looks like it's merely recognizing conscientious objection - the right to refuse to support killing your fellow man if drafted to support military activities. It's normally followed with either imprisonment or a type of community service. For males, this option is already available for selective service.

See option 5:

A. Bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; or
B. Perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; or
C. Perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law.
Edited by Amhara

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

If anyone is interested int he original copy, here is the link to the USCIS site:

http://www.uscis.gov/news-topics/citizenship-or-naturalization
USCIS Clarifies Eligibility Requirements for Modifications to the Oath of Allegiance

Effective July 21, 2015, new guidance (PA-2015-001) in the USCIS Policy Manual clarifies the eligibility requirements for modifications to the Oath of Allegiance.

Reciting the Oath is part of the naturalization process. Candidates for citizenship normally declare that they will “bear arms on behalf of the United States” and “perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States” when required by the law.

A candidate may be eligible to exclude these two clauses based on religious training and belief or a conscientious objection. The new guidance clarifies that a candidate:

• May be eligible for modifications based on religious training and belief, or conscientious objection arising from a deeply held moral or ethical code.
  • Is not required to belong to a specific church or religion, follow a particular theology or belief, or to have had religious training in order to qualify.
  • May submit, but is not required to provide, an attestation from a religious or other type of organization, as well as other evidence to establish eligibility.

This guidance updates Volume 12 of the Policy Manual.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Just to provide more options on the modifications available:

• If you are unable or unwilling to promise to bear arms or perform noncombatant service because of religious training and belief, you may request to leave out those parts of the oath. USCIS may require you to provide documentation from your religious Taking the Oath A Guide to Naturalization 39 organization explaining its beliefs and stating that you are a member in good standing.
  • If you are unable or unwilling to take the oath with the words “on oath” and “so help me God” included, you must notify USCIS that you wish to take a modified Oath of Allegiance. Applicants are not required to provide any
    evidence or testimony to support a request for this type of modification. See 8 CFR 337.1(b).
  • USCIS can waive the Oath of Allegiance when it is shown that the person’s physical or developmental disability, or mental impairments, makes them unable to understand, or to communicate an understanding of, the meaning of the oath. See 8 USC 337.
I tried to research this issue well. I'm a federal employee and I'm sworn to protect the US Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic. That doesn't require me to take their life. And I wanted to make sure my future spouse didn't need to swear to serve in the military, but would still swear to protect the US Constitution or at least abide by the ideologies on it.

Signature coming soon...

Keep hoping, it ain't happenin'.

Obama will be in office for a while longer... He's not done yet.... :devil:

Our President can't remove the "so help me God" from the oath. You know why? "If you are unable or unwilling to take the oath with the words “on oath” and “so help me God” included, you must notify USCIS that you wish to take a modified Oath of Allegiance. Applicants are not required to provide any evidence or testimony to support a request for this type of modification. See 8 CFR 337.1(b)"

There is a Pashto proverb (that I made up last night) that says, "You can't say you are the first person to walk the path if the road is already paved." It means if it's already happened, you weren't the first one. If he does try to change the oath, he will be very efficient at make something that is already in place happen...
Edited by Amhara

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I'd say the oath should be inline with whatever a native born citizen is compelled to. Native born can skip combat service for certain reasons. Pretty sure noncombat service is mandatory in certain times, though, regardless of belief, and it should be for a naturalized citizen as well.

Let's be frank, though: if you're born in the US and hate everything about the military, requiring you to do something for it just because you were born here is somewhat authoritarian; you had no choice in the matter. Not so for a naturalized citizen: if you are seeking citizenship to the US and have an active objection to its military my offer to you is to not naturalize. Nobody is forcing you to, and you do have a choice; if you don't like it, don't do it. So, I've just talked myself into a state where I think a naturalized person shouldn't be given quite the freedom while saying the oath as a native born.

Good luck!

I'd say the oath should be inline with whatever a native born citizen is compelled to. Native born can skip combat service for certain reasons. Pretty sure noncombat service is mandatory in certain times, though, regardless of belief, and it should be for a naturalized citizen as well.

Let's be frank, though: if you're born in the US and hate everything about the military, requiring you to do something for it just because you were born here is somewhat authoritarian; you had no choice in the matter. Not so for a naturalized citizen: if you are seeking citizenship to the US and have an active objection to its military my offer to you is to not naturalize. Nobody is forcing you to, and you do have a choice; if you don't like it, don't do it. So, I've just talked myself into a state where I think a naturalized person shouldn't be given quite the freedom while saying the oath as a native born.

You don't think that naturalized citizens should have the same rights as natural born citizens, but do you think naturalized citizens should have the same responsibilities as natural born citizens?

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'd very much hope they'd remove the 'so help me God' finale which doesn't belong there anyway.

It belongs there... when written as most of the nation were either Protestant or Christian. The majority of our nation is still as such. So help me God... there should maybe be an allowance for Allah, Buddah etc etc... depending upon your belief and out of respect for other religions. However if you are asking to become an American Citizen... it should not be an issue. If I were to move to Africa or another country and ask to a citizen there, then I would also have to respect what the majority believes in. Or just don't go. No different then the Constitution of the US of America and the rights you gain by becoming a citizen. you don't get to just pick the parts that are convenient for you in the eyes of the constitution all apply to each American citizen. I think if you live in a country then you should want to protect it from foreign threats. America is not the land of Milk and Honey. We have struggles and challenges just as any other country and the world views Americans as fortunate. Me being of African American descent are the only race of people that didn't choose to migrate here as many of you here have chosen to do. But for the sake of my children and their children we have to love and protect the country in which we live...So help me GOD.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I agree that most people in our country are Christian, but as a nation we were born and remain a secular country. I think the 'so help me god' belongs in the oath as much as 'so help me Santa Claus' or 'so help me golden Elves', or any variation depending on the flavor of superstitious belief of the individual taking the oath.

It belongs there... when written as most of the nation were either Protestant or Christian. The majority of our nation is still as such. So help me God... there should maybe be an allowance for Allah, Buddah etc etc... depending upon your belief and out of respect for other religions. However if you are asking to become an American Citizen... it should not be an issue. If I were to move to Africa or another country and ask to a citizen there, then I would also have to respect what the majority believes in. Or just don't go. No different then the Constitution of the US of America and the rights you gain by becoming a citizen. you don't get to just pick the parts that are convenient for you in the eyes of the constitution all apply to each American citizen. I think if you live in a country then you should want to protect it from foreign threats. America is not the land of Milk and Honey. We have struggles and challenges just as any other country and the world views Americans as fortunate. Me being of African American descent are the only race of people that didn't choose to migrate here as many of you here have chosen to do. But for the sake of my children and their children we have to love and protect the country in which we live...So help me GOD.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I'm surprised TBoneTX hasn't had to lock his own thread yet! LOL! I was certain that this would explode and it would need to be shut down in a matter of minutes!

Signature coming soon...

So apparently people want to come and immigrate here but not help to support and defend this country, am I getting this right? So if you do NOT want to help support and defend this country or join the Armed Forces in a time of need GO HOME.... It's really that simple to say the least. There have been plenty of Conscientious Objectors that have joined but in a capacity to help people such as Medics, Chaplains, Chaplain Assistants, Administration. So why can't other people do it as well?

Why would you want to immigrate to a country and take up citizenship of that country but you do not want to help support and defend it?

Edited by cyberfx1024

So apparently people want to come and immigrate here but not help to support and defend this country, am I getting this right? So if you do NOT want to help support and defend this country or join the Armed Forces in a time of need GO HOME.... It's really that simple to say the least. There have been plenty of Conscientious Objectors that have joined but in a capacity to help people such as Medics, Chaplains, Chaplain Assistants, Administration. So why can't other people do it as well?

Why would you want to immigrate to a country and take up citizenship of that country but you do not want to help support and defend it?

Support and defend are two different things. It's against my conscience to be involved in anything that you listed that would support military activity. Some people will choose some other service, but if what they are offered is against their conscience, they will face jail. While I'm the natural born USC and a female, so I would probably be exempt based on my gender (but you never know...) I would rather serve jail time than help load bullets or count tanks. However, that doesn't mean I don't support our country. There are many other responsibilities I accept that demonstrate the support, but some people feel it's more important to love your enemy than be involved in military actions.

However, no, this is not a change - it's a clarification.

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.