TabCat82

I-134 Questions

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone,

We are very close to getting our NOA2 now after filing in January and are starting to prepare some of the papers for the next step.

I am working on the I-134 at the moment and have the following situation:

My American Fiancé is on a disability benefit with his only income being this and food stamps. His parents are happy to co-sponsor but I want to have all my facts straight before asking such a big thing of them.

His parents are retired but own 4 properties and receive income from 3 of them.

Questions:

1a. As my Fiancé is on the benefit and will most likely not meet the 125% of poverty hurdle, does he fill in the income part of the form at all?

1b. If so, does he put the amount he receives from his benefit in his income?

1c. Also, does he include his household assets in the figures? (from what I have read so far he would need proof of value for each Asset included but as these are mostly antiques this may be difficult).

2a. The co-sponsors have joint income and assets. Do they have one of them fill in their details (name, DOB, etc), include the full income and assets and both sign the one form? The alternative I see to this is have both complete forms but then if full assets and income was stated on both wouldn't this be double counting the same thing?

2b. If only one of the co-sponsors are filling in a form is the other to be listed as a dependent?

3a. As above, my co-sponsors are retired and their income may not be enough to meet the 125% poverty guidelines so we would need to look at including their Properties. As they have 4 properties and there is only space for 1 on the form, is it better to have the value, address and loans against each listed on a separate sheet or can we have the total value of all just loaded on the sheet?

3b. As we are likely needing to use these properties, what evidence is required for these, I understand if it was my property (as beneficiary) I would need proof of ownership in the form of Title deed and a letter from lawyer or real estate agent showing the present valuation, is this also the case for a sponsor?

3c. How recent does this valuation need to be?

3d. Can they just list the one property if the total value exceeds the required levels?

Finally, I have savings that I will be using to support myself fully until I am able to work and am 100% sure that I will not even need assistance from my sponsor's, what is the best way to get this across? Can this be a mitigating factor so I don't need to burden my Fiancé's parents with all of the tasks above?

Any other options/suggestions to lessen the requirements from my co-sponsors would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all of your advice :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.