GJDill

US Citizen BF financially sponsoring F-1 student GF (merged threads)

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would like to get some input regarding how F-1 visa interview questions should be handled at the US Embassy interview.

I am a US citizen and my Filipina GF has been admitted into a good Nursing program at a nearby state college. She already has a BSNursing in the Philippines. She graduated some 20 years ago. She would eventually like to work as a nurse in the US, but passing the Nclex exam is required for a US nursing license. Statistics show internationally trained nurses have only a 28% pass rate on this exam, where US trained nurses have an 89% pass rate. I am willing to pay for her education here in the US, and have given all the required documents to the local college, proving my financial ability to pay for her first year of education. They have also awarded her a $3500 academic scholarship based on her prior GPA, and issued her an I-20 along with the other supporting documents. I have sent her the bank statement originals and a signed certificate of financial responsibility.

From my research it appears she will need to prove two other things at her interview.

1) That she is a bona-fide student.

2) She will return to her home country upon completion of her studies.

...1) This college has a highly regarded nursing program, but at first will only admit her into pre-nursing, until her previous college transcripts have been received (they are on the way now). Then decide what credits they will transfer. Then may move her into the nursing program. My concern is will the consul see this as a "next logical step" at her interview.

...1) This is the only college she has been admitted too. (We are hoping it will prepare her to pass the Nclex exam).

...2) Obviously we are concerned the counsel will be concerned we will marry and so this is an intent to immigrate. However .. she is still married (separated for 13 years), the marriage has never been annulled. (Annulments can take years to process). She has a teenage daughter going to school there now. Plus has some land in her name there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I guess her just taking the Nclex exam is out of the question? Having a boyfriend that lives near the school who is willing to pay for her schooling doesn't bode well. As well as you acknowledge she is really only going to the school as a prep for the Nclex exam so that she can nurse in the U.S.A. at a future date. Having a daughter back home does little in circumstances like this to prove ties of going home.

Edited by Shauneg

Are you two planning on marrying eventually?

If so, maybe you could save a lot of time and money by getting married sooner rather than later.

That way, she could come to the U.S. on a fiancée visa or a spousal visa, get a Social Security number, and apply for the NCLEX-RN.

If her transcripts are evaluated as having satisfied the concurrency requirements, she could self-study and then take the NCLEX-RN.

Based on personal experience, I'm guessing that nurses from the Philippines have a much higher passing rate than 28%.

Timeline
I am a US citizen sponsoring my foreign GF for an F-1 student visa here in the US. She has been accepted into a good nursing program at nearby local state college. I will be her sole sponsor for her schooling here. Though she will get a certificate of financial responsibility from two of her working siblings (but they only have minor incomes to show for support). She already has a BSNursing degree in the Philippines from nearly 20 years ago. She wishes to work as a nurse in the US, but most US nursing jobs require passing the Nclex exam. The 2015 statistics show foreign schooled nurses passing rate for this exam at 28%, where US schooled nurses passing at 89%. Obviously there is a quality of education issue. The school at this time has only accepted her into the pre-nursing program awaiting her previous college transcripts (on the way now) then after they decide which credit they will transfer, they may move her into the nursing program. The school has sent her the I-20 and awarded her a $3500 academic scholarship .. based on copies of her transcripts. I have sent her my originals to prove my financial ability to pay for her first year of college. Also looking into some student financing, I could cosign for her. Her sevis fee has been paid, and working on the DS-160 now. Next will be the interview and I am concerned about how that should be handled. In my research, I have found the two main concerns are:

1) Is she a bona-fide student

2) Will she return to her home country.. strong ties

...1) She has only applied at this one school, it has a good nursing program at a reasonable price. Plus close to where I live, and she will stay. Would a student loan approval letter add clout to her application?

...1) She already has a BSNursing degree in the Phils, there is mention of a "logical next step". Her goals are to eventually work abroad and preferably in the US, but all US state boards require passing the Nclex exam. Very hard to do with a foreign taught "20 years ago" degree. After she gets through her studies and passes the test then she would be eligible to get hired through an H1-B visa.

...2) The counsel will be concerned that she may be attempting to immigrate. But she is still married in the Phils (but separated for 13 years) with no annulment. Annulments are difficult, time consuming, and expensive to process there (but it is started). She also has a teenage daughter still in school and a disabled father over there. We cannot get married (but hopefully someday), and she will return after her schooling. Hopefully passing the Nclex exam while here or shortly after she returns. Then look to get hired through an H1-B visa.

I would really appreciate .. any .. feedback as to the best way to present this situation at her interview ... especially those who have any experience in similar situations ... Thanks

I guess her just taking the Nclex exam is out of the question?

She would need a Social Security number in order to apply for the NCLEX-RN.

Timeline

Are you two planning on marrying eventually?

If so, maybe you could save a lot of time and money by getting married sooner rather than later.

That way, she could come to the U.S. on a fiancée visa or a spousal visa, get a Social Security number, and apply for the NCLEX-RN.

If her transcripts are evaluated as having satisfied the concurrency requirements, she could self-study and then take the NCLEX-RN.

Based on personal experience, I'm guessing that nurses from the Philippines have a much higher passing rate than 28%.

Hopefully yes ... one day we will get married. But waiting on her annulment could takes years and you never know if it will be granted..

We cannot get married until she is annuled in the Phils ..

A couple of grand and a year should take care of the annulment.

She was advised by her attorney 2 years ..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First, no a student loan application will not add clout to her F-1 application. Student loans can be paid anywhere these days. I paid most of my Canadian student loan here in the U.S.

Clearly she wants to stay in the U.S for a long time if you are already researching H1B visas. Do not focus on that, focus on why she needs to return. She'll need to return to take care of her annulment, to take care of her daughter, etc. Does she own property in PI?

With a USC boyfriend footing the entire, expensive bill for her education, she'll need to focus on those ties to PI

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

First, no a student loan application will not add clout to her F-1 application. Student loans can be paid anywhere these days. I paid most of my Canadian student loan here in the U.S.

Clearly she wants to stay in the U.S for a long time if you are already researching H1B visas. Do not focus on that, focus on why she needs to return. She'll need to return to take care of her annulment, to take care of her daughter, etc. Does she own property in PI?

With a USC boyfriend footing the entire, expensive bill for her education, she'll need to focus on those ties to PI

Good luck

I was thinking a student loan approval letter .. not just an application ... Thanks

...She would eventually like to work as a nurse in the US...

^^^ What's the plan for this?

My wife's former employer sponsored two nurses and both were turned down.

Timeline

I guess her just taking the Nclex exam is out of the question? Having a boyfriend that lives near the school who is willing to pay for her schooling doesn't bode well. As well as you acknowledge she is really only going to the school as a prep for the Nclex exam so that she can nurse in the U.S.A. at a future date. Having a daughter back home does little in circumstances like this to prove ties of going home.

Taking the exam is not out of the question ... passing the exam without some additional training is the issue.

Thanks

Timeline

^^^ What's the plan for this?

My wife's former employer sponsored two nurses and both were turned down.

Were they sponsored as H1-B visas? Why were they both turned down?

Edited by GJDill

Taking the exam is not out of the question ... passing the exam without some additional training is the issue.

Thanks

There are many good NCLEX-prep books available, complete with sample test questions.

My wife has a BSN from the Philippines. She self-studied, and passed the NCLEX-RN on her first try (in the minimum 75 questions).

Has your girlfriend been working as a nurse in 'Pinas?

Were they sponsored as H1-B visas? Why were they both turned down?

They were turned down because there are plenty of U.S. nurses. The retrogression continues.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.