chrismorrison

Post Embassy Drama, UK VJer 'Life In The USA' Edition.

301 posts in this topic

Since I've spent the greater portion of the year chatting with fellow UK VJers during the initial K-1/CR-1 process, I want to know how things are going for you guys in the USA. Here we can post updates for AOS or any tips/tricks you guys have in regards to adjusting to American life and AOS, etc.

:)

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

Keep busy!

I am the USC, but I can say that my husband started to go a bit stir crazy...and we lived in downtown Chicago (although he moved just before one of the worse winters we've seen in awhile).

Explore the area, make plans for evening or weekend outings, just keep yourself occupied. And of course make sure that you are establishing joint proof of everything as quickly as possible (another way to keep busy). Get on as many bills/joint bank accounts/credit cards as possible so that when ROC comes in 2 years, you're all set.

Coming from the UK, adjusting shouldn't be too crazy of a shock to the system, but there will definitely be plenty of differences. Just enjoy them and be sure to communicate with your partner....it's a big process!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Hey, great idea for a thread!

When I first got to America I had the initial "what have I done?" moment. I tend to get these feelings whenever I move from one place to another. I knew it would be temporary! I'm living in Colorado, with my husbands parents. They have a lovely house and it's huge, so we never feel like we're taking up precious space. We basically have the entire downstairs to ourselves! There was a moment when the tension in the house was a bit weird, I think it was just a "ok, so, we're all living here now" moment but things have really started to get better on that front. I do some big chores and I cook too, so I think now his parents know I'm not just here to free load but I'm making a contribution so things got easier!

One thing I am winning at is working out! It's a huge part of my life to try and get into shape and so far I've really enjoyed getting back on plan again after a lull. There's a gorgeous route that I run that takes me into the mountains and the house has its very own workout room with weights I can use. The husband has even began teaching me some kickboxing basics. We're on the doorstep of some great looking hikes too, I did a 7 mile hike yesterday and my legs are aching today.

I've been really enjoying being in America again, the people here are interesting! I find people are polite and the weird people are usually drunk/high and aren't threatening. The FOOD is incredible, as always, all the exercise I did when I got here was purely just to balance out all the food I was eating! I've been loving eating some delicious burgers again :D. I really missed my family and my dogs to begin with, but after a little while I began to adapt to the change and even though I still miss them I don't feel like I'm missing something...if that makes sense.

Now for the official, boring stuff:

SSN

About 2 days after I landed I went to the local Social Security Administration office and applied for a Social Security Number. I was armed ready to put my foot down that being a K-1 made me eligible - but no need! The person who dealt with me knew her stuff and it was super easy. I was really surprised at how easy it was!

Bank Account and Phone

The bank account we went for was one that offered no monthly fees and considering we were both unemployed at the time it was the best option for us. The only issues I had opening the bank account was the lengthy wait!

The phone on the other hand was a pain in the backside. I had to put a hefty deposit down and since I had no credit history I couldn't sign up for their monthly lease so I could upgrade...so I had to buy the phone itself too. Luckily the phone was relatively cheap at $100 ($150, but I mailed in a rebate and got $50 back). I pay $60 a month for 1GB of data (I barely use it out and about) and unlimited text and calls. I'm with Verizon, which aren't great but I needed a phone and I didn't have one so we just went with it. The deposit was $400, which I suspect I will have to fight for when the one year is up. But I have an auto-pay set up on an account that will always have money in it, so it'll be a nice little bonus when the year is up. Unfortunately I got hit with hidden activation fees, so my expected $60 turned into $116. Bleh. On the positive side I LOVE my new phone though! I've never owned a smart phone so it's really great to have one at last!

Driving Permit

I do feel a bit out in the wilderness though. The house is inbetween Boulder and Longmont, on this big patch of open land. The views are incredible, the deck overlooks the mountains and Boulder. But the buses here are ridiculous, there are 2 buses that leave in the morning and 2 that arrive in the early evening. So if I wanted to venture out on my own I would have to be out until 6pm. However I've managed to get myself a drivers permit, I made an appointment at the DMV for a written test and brought along my passport, I-94, I-797C (NOA1 for AOS), certified copy of my marriage certificate (had to go home and go back again for this one! At least we didn't have to wait in line again) and $14. They say on the website they wanted 2 documents to prove my address but the guy who dealt with me confirmed it off the NOA1. I passed the test, got my picture done and then in about a week I received my licence in the mail! The best part is is that it expires in 2018, not when my I-94 expires - woohoo!

So right now I'm learning how to drive, a manual car no less, which has been interesting! I had a handful of lessons when I was 17/18 but I ran out of money + moved away for University. I know when I pass my test I'll have a LOT more freedom, I'll just drop the husband off at work and have the car to myself all day! Until then I spend most of the day at the house. I've made myself a little "productivity pyramid" and I'm starting to work on including productive activities in my day to day life.

Marriage and AOS
I got married on 1st May (easy to remember). We went online and filled out an application form, then walked into the office and got hitched! It was super simple, we also got a few copies of our marriage certificate knowing that AOS needed one and one extra just in case. We didn't make it a big occasion, one day when we have money we'll have a proper ceremony.
AOS, I found, was a huge pain. It was just more form filling and more evidence collecting. Something I thought having applied for a K-1 will cover! This website was a huge help, in particular the example forms. The affidavit of support was a pain because the form is so strangely worded in places (again, example forms were a god send). It took me about 5 hours total to get everything filled out, signed, presented neatly in a folder and sent off. When the notices started coming through it was a huge relief that it's all out of the way and out of my hands now! Now I'm just waiting. Had a biometrics appointment in Aurora, which was about an hour to get there and back, all for about 15 minutes!

Citizenship Process Timeline: 

Citizenship Process [1 year, 1 month and 1 day to Naturalization Certificate]

03.22.2020 - N400 sent (online)

03.22.2020 - NOA1 Received (online)

03.27.2020 - NOA1 Received (mail)

09.05.2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled (online)

09.24.2020 - Biometrics appointment

02.02.2021 - Interview Scheduled (online)

02.06.2021 - Interview Letter Received (mail)

03.10.2021 - Interview - Approved

03.10.2021 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled (online)

03.16.2021 - Oath Ceremony Letter Received (mail)

04.23.2021 - Oath Ceremony

I am the beneficiary

Hey, great idea for a thread!

When I first got to America I had the initial "what have I done?" moment. I tend to get these feelings whenever I move from one place to another. I knew it would be temporary! I'm living in Colorado, with my husbands parents. They have a lovely house and it's huge, so we never feel like we're taking up precious space. We basically have the entire downstairs to ourselves! There was a moment when the tension in the house was a bit weird, I think it was just a "ok, so, we're all living here now" moment but things have really started to get better on that front. I do some big chores and I cook too, so I think now his parents know I'm not just here to free load but I'm making a contribution so things got easier!

One thing I am winning at is working out! It's a huge part of my life to try and get into shape and so far I've really enjoyed getting back on plan again after a lull. There's a gorgeous route that I run that takes me into the mountains and the house has its very own workout room with weights I can use. The husband has even began teaching me some kickboxing basics. We're on the doorstep of some great looking hikes too, I did a 7 mile hike yesterday and my legs are aching today.

I've been really enjoying being in America again, the people here are interesting! I find people are polite and the weird people are usually drunk/high and aren't threatening. The FOOD is incredible, as always, all the exercise I did when I got here was purely just to balance out all the food I was eating! I've been loving eating some delicious burgers again :D. I really missed my family and my dogs to begin with, but after a little while I began to adapt to the change and even though I still miss them I don't feel like I'm missing something...if that makes sense.

Now for the official, boring stuff:

SSN

About 2 days after I landed I went to the local Social Security Administration office and applied for a Social Security Number. I was armed ready to put my foot down that being a K-1 made me eligible - but no need! The person who dealt with me knew her stuff and it was super easy. I was really surprised at how easy it was!

Bank Account and Phone

The bank account we went for was one that offered no monthly fees and considering we were both unemployed at the time it was the best option for us. The only issues I had opening the bank account was the lengthy wait!

The phone on the other hand was a pain in the backside. I had to put a hefty deposit down and since I had no credit history I couldn't sign up for their monthly lease so I could upgrade...so I had to buy the phone itself too. Luckily the phone was relatively cheap at $100 ($150, but I mailed in a rebate and got $50 back). I pay $60 a month for 1GB of data (I barely use it out and about) and unlimited text and calls. I'm with Verizon, which aren't great but I needed a phone and I didn't have one so we just went with it. The deposit was $400, which I suspect I will have to fight for when the one year is up. But I have an auto-pay set up on an account that will always have money in it, so it'll be a nice little bonus when the year is up. Unfortunately I got hit with hidden activation fees, so my expected $60 turned into $116. Bleh. On the positive side I LOVE my new phone though! I've never owned a smart phone so it's really great to have one at last!

Driving Permit

I do feel a bit out in the wilderness though. The house is inbetween Boulder and Longmont, on this big patch of open land. The views are incredible, the deck overlooks the mountains and Boulder. But the buses here are ridiculous, there are 2 buses that leave in the morning and 2 that arrive in the early evening. So if I wanted to venture out on my own I would have to be out until 6pm. However I've managed to get myself a drivers permit, I made an appointment at the DMV for a written test and brought along my passport, I-94, I-797C (NOA1 for AOS), certified copy of my marriage certificate (had to go home and go back again for this one! At least we didn't have to wait in line again) and $14. They say on the website they wanted 2 documents to prove my address but the guy who dealt with me confirmed it off the NOA1. I passed the test, got my picture done and then in about a week I received my licence in the mail! The best part is is that it expires in 2018, not when my I-94 expires - woohoo!

So right now I'm learning how to drive, a manual car no less, which has been interesting! I had a handful of lessons when I was 17/18 but I ran out of money + moved away for University. I know when I pass my test I'll have a LOT more freedom, I'll just drop the husband off at work and have the car to myself all day! Until then I spend most of the day at the house. I've made myself a little "productivity pyramid" and I'm starting to work on including productive activities in my day to day life.

Marriage and AOS
I got married on 1st May (easy to remember). We went online and filled out an application form, then walked into the office and got hitched! It was super simple, we also got a few copies of our marriage certificate knowing that AOS needed one and one extra just in case. We didn't make it a big occasion, one day when we have money we'll have a proper ceremony.
AOS, I found, was a huge pain. It was just more form filling and more evidence collecting. Something I thought having applied for a K-1 will cover! This website was a huge help, in particular the example forms. The affidavit of support was a pain because the form is so strangely worded in places (again, example forms were a god send). It took me about 5 hours total to get everything filled out, signed, presented neatly in a folder and sent off. When the notices started coming through it was a huge relief that it's all out of the way and out of my hands now! Now I'm just waiting. Had a biometrics appointment in Aurora, which was about an hour to get there and back, all for about 15 minutes!

Oh wow, Kas and I had the same rollercoaster ride when he first got here-that whole, what have we done scenario played out in our head a million times over. We got over it, and things have been going upward. There are good and bad days when his homesickness takes over, but I have tried to balance it out to the best of my ability. It's definitely an adjustment for both parties, but our love for each other has definitely lessened the magnitude of it all. I had never previously lived with anyone before, so I was a bit territorial to begin with-like why are you putting stuff there, it belongs here sort of thing. I'm kind of irrationally OCD about certain things in the house, but I am learning to let things go (albeit slowly).

He's aching to get back to work and can't wait to get his EAD card. In the meantime, he has been keeping his own around the house: cleaning, vacuuming, making the bed, cooking meals, shopping, etc. It's not much, but at least it gives him something to do... he constantly jokes that the housewife life is not for him! Lol...

SSN:

We took Kas to get his Social Security Number the Tuesday after he arrived (he landed on a Saturday), and that went off without a hitch. The lady we had was very well informed in visas and knew her stuff as well. No issues. Received the actual card one week later (Tues-Tues).

BANK ACCOUNT AND PHONE:

Kas already opened a Chase account in December when he was last here to visit. He chose Chase because it's located in our "home grocery store"-Fred Meyer. They charge a fee if your balance isn't at their minimum. I would really like him to go to another bank while he is waiting to get another job as he will only have a couple hundred bucks on him at a time.

I had an old iPhone in my apartment that he's put a pre-paid SIM into. He wanted to use his old Galaxy, but his old provider didn't ever provide him with an unlock code. So, that's been working out quite decently for the time being.

DRIVING LICENSE:

Since I work for my dad, Kas has access to a company vehicle to drive around in. He has been studying the WADOL guide book. He can take his test at any time, but he wants to be fully versed in the topic first. He is currently driving on his international driving permit, which I think he has up to a year to use?--but the goal is by the end of the month to have a driving license. Although, I wonder if we should wait to get one until after he gets his EAD card since his i94 is due to expire in just over a month from now? Any ideas?

MARRIAGE AND AOS:

We got married on 28 May, a little under a month. It was a quick and dirty exercise at the courthouse, but hey, at least it was legal (something that had me worried for AOS procedures). We are planning on the real deal next year in the fall. So we have that to start planning in the coming weeks. We need to get those save the dates out!

We sent out the packet (which I found to be just a huge repeat of K-1 in terms of info) a couple days later. We've received all three NOA1s and have our Biometrics on 1 July. The local office we were appointed is in Portland, so it's only about a 20 minute drive from our apartment. We haven't received any other news on this front. I'm hoping and praying for no RFE's. Since I am the sole sponsor, I used the EZ form of the affidavit- which I found to be much easier and clearer than the "normal" edition of the form.

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

He is currently driving on his international driving permit, which I think he has up to a year to use?

Tiny clarification since a lot of people don't understand. You don't drive on an international driving permit. It gives no authority to drive. Hopefully he is driving on a UK license. His international driving permit is a translation book into nine or so languages. It will help local police translate his foreign license into English from...well, English.

Although, I wonder if we should wait to get one until after he gets his EAD card since his i94 is due to expire in just over a month from now? Any ideas?

You probably need to clarify with WA. Some states expire them when proof of being legal in the US expires. Some won't even issue until at least EAD. Ring them up or email them.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Oh wow, Kas and I had the same rollercoaster ride when he first got here-that whole, what have we done scenario played out in our head a million times over. We got over it, and things have been going upward. There are good and bad days when his homesickness takes over, but I have tried to balance it out to the best of my ability. It's definitely an adjustment for both parties, but our love for each other has definitely lessened the magnitude of it all. I had never previously lived with anyone before, so I was a bit territorial to begin with-like why are you putting stuff there, it belongs here sort of thing. I'm kind of irrationally OCD about certain things in the house, but I am learning to let things go (albeit slowly).

He's aching to get back to work and can't wait to get his EAD card. In the meantime, he has been keeping his own around the house: cleaning, vacuuming, making the bed, cooking meals, shopping, etc. It's not much, but at least it gives him something to do... he constantly jokes that the housewife life is not for him! Lol...

SSN:

We took Kas to get his Social Security Number the Tuesday after he arrived (he landed on a Saturday), and that went off without a hitch. The lady we had was very well informed in visas and knew her stuff as well. No issues. Received the actual card one week later (Tues-Tues).

BANK ACCOUNT AND PHONE:

Kas already opened a Chase account in December when he was last here to visit. He chose Chase because it's located in our "home grocery store"-Fred Meyer. They charge a fee if your balance isn't at their minimum. I would really like him to go to another bank while he is waiting to get another job as he will only have a couple hundred bucks on him at a time.

I had an old iPhone in my apartment that he's put a pre-paid SIM into. He wanted to use his old Galaxy, but his old provider didn't ever provide him with an unlock code. So, that's been working out quite decently for the time being.

DRIVING LICENSE:

Since I work for my dad, Kas has access to a company vehicle to drive around in. He has been studying the WADOL guide book. He can take his test at any time, but he wants to be fully versed in the topic first. He is currently driving on his international driving permit, which I think he has up to a year to use?--but the goal is by the end of the month to have a driving license. Although, I wonder if we should wait to get one until after he gets his EAD card since his i94 is due to expire in just over a month from now? Any ideas?

MARRIAGE AND AOS:

We got married on 28 May, a little under a month. It was a quick and dirty exercise at the courthouse, but hey, at least it was legal (something that had me worried for AOS procedures). We are planning on the real deal next year in the fall. So we have that to start planning in the coming weeks. We need to get those save the dates out!

We sent out the packet (which I found to be just a huge repeat of K-1 in terms of info) a couple days later. We've received all three NOA1s and have our Biometrics on 1 July. The local office we were appointed is in Portland, so it's only about a 20 minute drive from our apartment. We haven't received any other news on this front. I'm hoping and praying for no RFE's. Since I am the sole sponsor, I used the EZ form of the affidavit- which I found to be much easier and clearer than the "normal" edition of the form.

I think because I've been a bit of a drifter for the past 3 years it made it easier for me to adjust. I get very nested into places but once I've gotten used to a new place I tend to transfer all my emotions from my previous home over to the new one, if that makes sense. Like when I first moved into my tiny apartment in Japan I didn't think I could ever see it as my home, but when it was time to say goodbye I got really emotional - I was very attached to it! I've lived in 6 different places in the last 5 years...but I can imagine if I'd been in the same place all that time then it would take longer for me to move on. It's sort of like dealing with a break up it seems!

I can understand your flinches with someone putting stuff around your place, I'm the same way! Everything has a home! Luckily Chris is super chill and just listens to me when I say "this belongs here", so I'm quite lucky in that regard! Even when I moved into HIS house I moved his stuff and he just said "sure, ok!" He even said he didn't want to unpack fully since he knew I would move everything...ooooh how right he was! Since you haven't lived with someone before, how are you finding it? Other than feeling a bit territorial of your stuff, do you like it?

I know how he feels! I really want a job just so I have my own life here. Since the husband works he takes the car so I'm a bit stranded in the day time. Even if I wanted to go somewhere, there are 4 buses that come by the house (2 in the morning and 2 in the early evening) and the bus stop is a mile away. It's a beautiful place to live but I can get a little stir crazy here! At least with a job it'd get me out of the house all day and talking to people.

As for the driving licence, I'm not sure what happened with mine, but it expires in 2018. Maybe because it's a permit and not a licence?

I am the beneficiary

Currently we're back in the UK and really enjoying it, (I am anyway) and not looking forward to going back to the US one bit.

Things to be aware of before heading to the US is the rather punitive tax system, my taxes last year work out at 38% which is federal, state and social security payments.

Property taxes which make council tax look benevolent.

Medical insurance is expensive

House insurance expensive

Car insurance expensive

Cell phone charges expensive

Food is ok eating out if you like fried stuff or food covered in that hideous stuff which masquerades as cheese in the US

Supermarket shopping very expensive compared to the UK

So that lot and the fact that people get shot all the time makes it a great place to live.

Currently we're back in the UK and really enjoying it, (I am anyway) and not looking forward to going back to the US one bit.

Things to be aware of before heading to the US is the rather punitive tax system, my taxes last year work out at 38% which is federal, state and social security payments.

Car insurance expensive

Food is ok eating out if you like fried stuff or food covered in that hideous stuff which masquerades as cheese in the US

So that lot and the fact that people get shot all the time makes it a great place to live.

'MURICUH :rofl:

I am the beneficiary

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is a great thread, thanks ladies and gents for posting this. One question though what in the hell do the US call paracetamol? I recall walking round Boise and the sun being so bright and I honestly didn't think it would be that warm and sunny there for the end of October that I didn't bring sunglasses along for the ride. So after three hours of frowning trying to keep the sun out of my eyes I got a headache so when to Albertsons picked up a cheap pair of sunglasses but had a banging headache I went to the counter and asked for Paracetamol to a bemused look on the assistants face. She couldn't understand me so I just presumed it was my Northern accent that she couldn't understand and done what most British people do in these circumstances... Tried my best to adopt a local accent. Massive fail walked out of there with a even redder face :rofl:

This is a great thread, thanks ladies and gents for posting this. One question though what in the hell do the US call paracetamol? I recall walking round Boise and the sun being so bright and I honestly didn't think it would be that warm and sunny there for the end of October that I didn't bring sunglasses along for the ride. So after three hours of frowning trying to keep the sun out of my eyes I got a headache so when to Albertsons picked up a cheap pair of sunglasses but had a banging headache I went to the counter and asked for Paracetamol to a bemused look on the assistants face. She couldn't understand me so I just presumed it was my Northern accent that she couldn't understand and done what most British people do in these circumstances... Tried my best to adopt a local accent. Massive fail walked out of there with a even redder face :rofl:

You're not alone Dave. Paracetamol is known under a completely different name in the USA - acetaminophen

Us Brits have to be careful about stuff like this. I was over in the USA a couple of years ago and went down with a nasty cold, felt like ####### and despite taking some paracetamol I had with me me I thought I'd go take a cold remedy as well. I checked on the boxes to see what drugs these cold remedies contained, and as I couldn't see paracetamol I very nearly took it in addition to the paracetamol. Then I thought I'd double check what the drugs it contained actually were, and a quick Google search later I found that acetaminophen is the US name for paracetamol. Would have been so easy to to take an overdose simply because the drug was under a completely different name.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Filed: IR-5 Country: Wales
Timeline

Tylenol is an equivalent brand in the usa.

From wikipedia:

The words acetaminophen (used in the United States,[11] Canada,[11] Japan, Venezuela, and Colombia)[10] and paracetamol (used elsewhere) both come from a chemical name for the compound: para-<b>acet</b>yl<b>aminophen</b>ol and <b>par<\b>a-<b>acet</b>yl<b>am</b>inophen<b>ol</b>

Car insurance expensive

I think that the prices depends on which state you're in. Correct if I'm wrong :/

The shooting bit always scares me, the things we do for our loved ones *sigh*

Patience Is A Virtue - [The Beneficiary]

AOS From K1:
Approved 26th of September 2016

ROC:

Approved: 16th August 2019 (July 2018 Filer)

N400

Filed online: November 25th 2019

April 27th 2021: INTERVIEW APPROVED - Officially a US citizen - the End! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Tylenol is an equivalent brand in the usa.

From wikipedia:

The words acetaminophen (used in the United States,[11] Canada,[11] Japan, Venezuela, and Colombia)[10] and paracetamol (used elsewhere) both come from a chemical name for the compound: para-<b>acet</b>yl<b>aminophen</b>ol and <b>par<\b>a-<b>acet</b>yl<b>am</b>inophen<b>ol</b>

And don't ask for painkillers! I've done that a few times and was met with funny looks, my fiance told me that a painkiller is considered something much stronger prescribed by a doctor, I just wanted advil or tylenol!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

In part, my overview is slightly different, although there are some things that do cost more here.

I agree that eating out is much cheaper. I don't eat red meat and don't eat fried or typical fast foods and have found healthy options here are abundant and affordable for eating out. It may depend on where you live (?)

There are some things in grocery stores that I do find more expensive, but I have learned to compare like with like. For example, my daughter commented a few weeks back that buying a box of granola bars was ridiculously expensive. She had taken a similar brand to what we used to buy in the UK off the shelf and commented on the price. At first glance she was right. Then I noticed that she had a box of 24 whereas the box we used to get at Tesco was always a box of 6. All of a sudden the pricey cereal bars were a bargain.

Similarly for salads and fresh produce. There are many items that appear to cost a lot more until you look at the package sizes and it throws a new perspective on things. We haven't found there to be that much of a difference overall, but again, that could be related to how we shop and eat. I am willing to experiment and be adventurous so when I see something that I might like on a buy one get one offer or half price deal, we get that. It's a fun way to try out new things. I haven't tried to find UK equivalents because in my mind it is easier to forget shopping and eating in the UK now that we live here. Quite honestly, I'd got into such a rut of doing the same old things with meals and groceries over the years that the opportunity to change things radically has been refreshing and enjoyable :)

One thing I did learn the hard was is that you can't buy instant coffee here that tastes like ground coffee. No bottles of decent instant coffee that I have discovered as yet. My husband doesn't drink coffee so he hasn't been able to guide me on this. We have a Keurig, but I consume copious quantities of coffee and running 6-8 K-Cups through the coffee maker is not exactly cost effective. I used to buy the Kenco Millicano brand, Nescafe Gold and my favorite was Carte Noire. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

And don't ask for painkillers! I've done that a few times and was met with funny looks, my fiance told me that a painkiller is considered something much stronger prescribed by a doctor, I just wanted advil or tylenol!

I already knew about the different names here because I've always preferred Tylenol to Panadol anyway. What is still somewhat amusing to me is how you can buy large, bulk quantities of these this right off the shelf. In the UK you are limited to a maximum of 8 doses per at a time. Here you can stroll into the grocery store and buy a party size tub of the stuff and stroll through the checkout as if you were buying cookies :rofl:

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.