ymchsj

Baby due & interview

20 posts in this topic

(I am a Greencard holder)I already submitted all documents to NVC and my wife is waiting for an interview, and I just check, and my expected priority date is Nov 2015, and the Baby is due on the first week of NOV 2015.

My wife( Visiting Visa) and I came back to the U.S two days ago, and the immigrant officer stamped my wife's passport which is good until Dec 2015

I really want my baby to born in the U.S so we don't have to go through this mess again, but my concerns are the following:

1) What is going to happen if my wife gives birth on Nov which means she wont be able to travel back to Korea for the interview..... Is there a way to postpone the interview? If so, is this going to delay the process of getting my wife a green card?

2) If my wife gives birth on Nov '15, she needs to leave the U.S on Dec '15 due to the length of her Visiting Visa. I am not sure if the baby & mom can travel right after birth.... is there any alternative? Does anyone know if we traveling to Mexico or other nearby country can extend this?

3) Any suggestion you may have give regarding my situation will be greatly appreciated......

Thank you so much ahead of time!!

Edited by ymchsj

What's your exact priority date? You just put your wife in a limbo.

The priority date will be Nov 2015. Sorry but what do you mean by putting my wife in a limbo?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Check your NOA. The priority date is written there. I meant you put here in an awkward position.

Check your NOA. The priority date is written there. I meant you put here in an awkward position.

Is there anything you might think of will make our life easy? lol

~~moved to bringing family members of LPR to the USA from IR1/CR1 process and procedures. OP is not a USC.~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

1. You can contact the U.S. Embassy to reschedule the interview. By delaying the interview, you will delay her getting an immigration visa. A visa will only be issued after the interview.

2. Going to Mexico or Canada does not extend her permitted time in the U.S. There is a special rule for this since too many people have tried to extend their stays in the U.S. with a day trip to Mexico or Canada. Also, there is never a sure thing about getting back in.

3. It's cheaper for your wife to have a baby in Korea than the U.S. Getting public assistance (welfare) to have the baby may make her a public charge and affect her ability to get an immigration visa. As a visitor, she can not be added to your work insurance. How will you pay the hospital bill?

If she has the baby here, then go get a same day passport for your child.

If she has the child in Korea, you would need to file a CRBA in addition to a U.S. passport.

Best of luck

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Is there anything you might think of will make our life easy? lol

She should have stayed in Korea. Cheaper and easier. And it will not be fun if she has the baby in November and can't travel home when her visa is up.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Sorry for the bad info. Thank you for correcting Apple21.

If the child is born in the U.S., then you get a U.S. Passport since the child would be a U.S. Citizen.

If the child is born in Korea, then you need to get an immigration visa for the child. Simply add the child to mom's case.

Thank you all for the replies!!

I do have a U.S insurance for my wife since I thought CR-1 process will end quicker.....

By listening to your great thoughts, I think It will be better to have baby in Korea since my wife should not miss the interview from the U.S Embassy in Seoul.

ARRON2020 mentioned about filing CRBA, and does anyone know who long it will take to process to bring the baby to the U.S?

The Priority date is Nov 2015 expecting to do the interview..... By filing CRBA , is this process going to take similar length like CR-1? Its been about one year and a half for my to get the interview :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thank you all for the replies!!

I do have a U.S insurance for my wife since I thought CR-1 process will end quicker.....

By listening to your great thoughts, I think It will be better to have baby in Korea since my wife should not miss the interview from the U.S Embassy in Seoul.

ARRON2020 mentioned about filing CRBA, and does anyone know who long it will take to process to bring the baby to the U.S?

The Priority date is Nov 2015 expecting to do the interview..... By filing CRBA , is this process going to take similar length like CR-1? Its been about one year and a half for my to get the interview :(

Good choice and congratulations on the baby!. CRBA does not take that long and hopefully one of the other members who would know how long it takes will chime in. If no one does answer your question you can always start a new topic. Best of luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.