7 posts in this topic

Hello VJ

My dad is in the process of receiving his greencard from my sister who is a USC.

My mother my litter sister and myself also intend to migrate to the US.

How ever I am 23 years old but I am still in college and I am a dependent of my parents. From what we have researched the US immigration will not allow me to migrate with my family. Is there any way I can enter the US with my family ?

How long will this process take we are from the Caribbean.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

First of all why your sister did not petition your mother at same time as dad. They both could have gotten greencard. Your younger sister can not accompny your dad so he can file after entering usa. It will take 2 years to get greencard. You can not qualify under f2a because you need to be under 21 at time of filling. F2b takes 7 to 8 years wait.

11/27/2013 - Priority Date

04/01/2015 - I-130 Approved

04/21/2015 - NVC received Case

04/29/2015 - DS261 filled

05/02/2015 - Case under CSPA review

06/04/2015 - Supervisor review Initiated-Wait 42 days

First of all why your sister did not petition your mother at same time as dad. They both could have gotten greencard. Your younger sister can not accompny your dad so he can file after entering usa. It will take 2 years to get greencard. You can not qualify under f2a because you need to be under 21 at time of filling. F2b takes 7 to 8 years wait.

1) Are they any policies or exceptions made for for people 21 and over who are still in college and depend on their parents? If is family is migrating no one wants to get left behind.

2) she is not my biological mother she is my father's wife can my older sister petition for her also ?

Edited by manyram

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sister filed for dad only?

Once dad entered the US using his IR5 immigrant visa, he can file an i130 for mom and you.

Mom and little daughter (assuming unmarried and BELOW 21yo) will immigrate together under F2A category with a waiting time of more or less 2 years.

You, on the other hand, will take much longer to immigrate under the F2B category. There's nothing you can do to speed things up. It will take 7 years and you must remain single the entire time. Marriage will void the F2B petition.

Unless you can find a US citizen fiancee or US citizen/GC holder spouse... that will change the game.

Good luck!

Edited by apple21

Sister filed for dad only?

Once dad entered the US using his IR5 immigrant visa, he can file an i130 for mom and you.

Mom and little daughter (assuming unmarried and BELOW 21yo) will immigrate together under F2A category with a waiting time of more or less 2 years.

You, on the other hand, will take much longer to immigrate under the F2B category. There's nothing you can do to speed things up. It will take 7 years and you must remain single the entire time. Marriage will void the F2B petition.

Unless you can find a US citizen fiancee or US citizen/GC holder spouse... that will change the game.

Good luck!

Wow thanks so much I guess maybe I'll get left behind 7 years is a long wait. But can my USC sister pitition for my father's wife ? The only reason she applied for my dad only is because she's not her biological mother I guess my sister wasn't sure how the process works

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow thanks so much I guess maybe I'll get left behind 7 years is a long wait. But can my USC sister pitition for my father's wife ? The only reason she applied for my dad only is because she's not her biological mother I guess my sister wasn't sure how the process works

If dad and stepmom married before your sister's 18th birthday, then sister can file for stepmom. However, the little daughter will not be able to immigrate with mom because derivative beneficiaries are not allowed in the IR categories. So, sister made the right decision of petitioning dad first.

F2A takes longer but it guarantees visa for both wife and daughter.

Edited by apple21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.