raeyneg

Weird Question..

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

My finace is stuck in AP currently cause he is from Iran. Question we have been tossing around is how he can get his savings out of Iran legally and as easy as possible. He has told me he can only carry out physically a certain amount and with the sanctions on Iran this just sucks. So was wondering if anyone else who has come from Iran has ran into this problem and how you went about solving it? I don't want him to do anything wrong and I certainly don't want the US government to be suspicious of me just because Amir wants to move his money from his home country to here.

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome as we are beating our heads against a wall here...

Thanks.

~d

-Note - If this was not the right place to ask a mod please feel free to direct it where I should have gone. Thanks again!

Edited by dawn&amir

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Wire the money to your bank account possibly ? Maybe a simple and easy solution only one I personally could think of . Others probably have other solutions .

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wire the money to your bank account possibly ? Maybe a simple and easy solution only one I personally could think of . Others probably have other solutions .

They can't do that Iranian banks are restricted to send or receive any money outside Iran even indirectly US treasury track it.

Maybe he can look for brokers to send him the money through banks in another country like Japan, China, Switzerland...to your bank account but they take a percentage.

Our lovely journey!!

10/08/2015: AOS packet sent to USCIS (Chicago lockbox) via USPS Priority mail (They received it 10/10/15).

10/16/2015: Text/eEmails received from USCIS with receipt number. We received 3.

10/22/2015: Received hard copies of NOA's for I-131, I-765, & I-485.

11/01/2015: Got NOA for biometrics appt (for 11/12/15).

11/03/2015: Did WALK IN biometrics appt - took 15 mins. Person taking said work permit should be in mail in less than 4 wks.

12/09/2015: Got email/text notification for INTERVIEW date.

12/28/2015: Got email/text notification EAD card has been mailed.

12/31/2015: Received EAD/AP card.

01/11/2016: INTERVIEW (in Los Angeles office).

01/11/2016: Case in in "CONTINUANCE". Awaiting approval. (Feels like AP).

06/27/2016: I-485 APPROVED - (FINALLY!!!) / 264 DAYS (8 MONTHS 20 DAYS)

07/01/2016: GREEN CARD RECEIVED

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

They can't do that Iranian banks are restricted to send or receive any money outside Iran even indirectly US treasury track it.

Maybe he can look for brokers to send him the money through banks in another country like Japan, China, Switzerland...to your bank account but they take a percentage.

ah ok bummer didn't look at their timeline to see the country .

Timeline

We have been looking at brokers but the fees are steep. But not sure there is much choice here really. He does have a cousin or someone in UAE that we wondered if he could wire his money there and have them wire it to the US as long as he can show it came from his bank initially and is just his savings money that he has paid taxes on in Iran already. It is a mess in dealing with Iran and the US over money,. he is not funding terrorism here he just wants his money to help us live on while he adjusts his status and then can find a job.. ugh.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

My wife is Iranian and came on a K-1. She only brought with her about 2K, the rest of her money she is keeping in Iran because of the sanctions and because the rate of return of her investments is better than what we can get here. The added benefit is that when we travel to Iran, we have money there already. We just returned today from a 3 week visit. The trip was paid for with the money we already had in Iran.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.