colbyelmore

engagement or marriage visa?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello i am really confused as to what we should do and finally decided to ask for help.

Info on us

myself 21 years old. Native usa,

my partner 19 years old native australia,

us, we are currently in new Zealand and have 11 months to make something happen.

We need to find the cheapest fastest way for her to get in with me. We've been together a very long time and have plenty of proof of sincerity. We can do engagement, marriage, either in new Zealand or once there. I have exhausted myself looking but am confused. An immigration agent is an option but not right now and time is ticking. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Did you take a look at the guides section? There's a pro/con bit: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

For the 11 month bit - is that a hard 11 months, like, you definitely want to travel together BY then or at the 11 month point (like, you can't go back to the USA sooner or not)?

For speed: It's tricky to predict processing times, but generally, the I-129f for K1 route has been the fastest way. As those at CSC right now will tell you, processing centres do randomly slow down and take longer than expected while another will be oddly fast.

For price: The I-130 for CR-1 is cheaper, because you don't have to pay out for the Adjustment of Status once you get married on the K1.

There's no cheap AND fast. There's cheap OR (slightly) fast(er).

There's other considerations too - would your partner like to work ASAP upon arrival, for instance?

Additionally, as you are abroad, do you have a joint-sponsor lined up for the financials?

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you so much for the fast reply! Answering those questions.

Yes more or less, we are living in a tent in new Zealand to stay together so preferably we want to leave for the usa together but realistically we realize there could be a few months stagger between me leaving and her but we would do anything to avoid it.

Money is not the main concern, anything below 2000 is fine Really.

Yes i do have my parents who work who will sponsor although i have not looked into it yet because i assume that is quite easy, they make a good income and are home owners.

Your timeline is amazing! Was this an unusually fast processing time? I haven't heard of an under 5 month approval

again thank you so much for replying

I'm afraid my timeline was done via a process called DCF, which is sadly only available in a handful of countries (not NZ).

Anyway - you didn't say whether she'd want to work ASAP? The K1 route means that you have to adjust status once you marry in the USA, and the applicant has to apply for EAD to be able to work - that tends to take about 3 months. So, if she's happy enough to not get a job for a little while, then you can go that route.

Study the average timelines to get a sense for how long each path might take. The K1 is just so varied right now - it takes anything from 5 - 12 months depending on where your case ends up (although historically around 9 months would be more likely). The CR-1 takes around 9 - 12 months.

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Hi, my husband and o have been together 9 years and married 3 and went for the IR1 visa. We are nearly done, and it will have taken 11 months. I delayed two months for sending off information to the NVC and then another two months when sending information off for a checklist. We could have been done in 7-8 months. Another australian on here was done in 8 months.

As for being apart, I am 5 months pregnant and I have been in the U.S. for two months. Hubby has his interview in Sydney in 2 days so he should be able to come soon.

That's some time info regarding australian and USC and our time frames FYI for the IR1/CR1 visa

Good luck

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Immigration is only part of the story, one of you will have to live a long way from your family. One of my sons met a girl in Japan, she didn't want to leave her family, he learned the language, has a good job, and living happily ever after.

Three of my wife's friends after going to the long pains of immigration decided to go back home, two with their husbands. Our huge cost of health insurance, property taxes, and only minimum wage jobs, felt like slaves in this wonderful land of freedom so we are told.

Wife and I are talking about the same thing and looking, this is one country where you really have to work your can off to stay even.

Thinking if this continues, our USCIS would have to be far more competitive. Just something to think about. And this bit about bringing your poor here is long ago history. USCIS idea of a happy marriage is working hard and paying taxes and bills together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.