flying_postman

Trinidad DV Interview Experience

4 posts in this topic

I just walked out of the embassy 2 hrs ago, so here's how it went:

I arrived at exactly 7:15 am for my scheduled 7:30 am appointment. After the security personnel checked/verified my name and appointment letter, I joined the line and at around 7:40 was able to enter the embassy. After the security screening I got to reception and gave my appointment letter to the receptionist which she then numbered and provided a folder for my documents and I took a seat in the Immigrant Visa/US Citizens section.

And then I waited and waited......then at 10:45 am I heard my name called to go to window 3 and I went in to present my documents and she checked off all my documents (keeping originals and copies), took my fingerprints and gave me a slip to pay the fee to the cashier which I did and returned to window 3 with the receipt which she took and then told me to have a seat and wait until my name is called.

Mercifully this wasn't as long and approx 10 minutes later may name was called for the interview at window 2: Here's the rundown from this morning:

CO: Good Morning,

Me:Morning

Then I proceeded to take the oath and confirm my finger prints (just my right index)

CO: I see you're applying in the DV category just so we want you know that have a high bar for entry for this category

Me: Uhm... Ok.....

CO: What is the longest you stayed in the US?

Me:...............

CO: Are you married/have kids?

Me: No on both (She joked if that was a headache for my Mom..)

CO: What is the major of your degree?

Me:................

CO: What do you expect to do once you are in the US?

Me: Work and study...

All the while she was intensely looking over my high school certificates (CXC) which I have the bare minimum of 5 passes (She barely gave my Bachelor's and Masters a cursory glance) and

then went to verify with her colleague the grades for CXC. (Just a bit of background prior to 1998 a grade 3 in any CXC subject was considered a fail and I failed English A twice but got a grade 2 in 1998). I was starting to get nervous after 2 minutes passed and I could see them behind the glass but couldn't hear what was taking place.

Then she returned to the window and cheerfully said that I meet the educational requirements and was approved she passed a slip of paper to me indicating that I was indeed approved.

CO: Best of luck with your new life in the US

Me: Thank you.

So that was it roughly 5-10 minutes that the interview lasted with the CO and I'm so relived that it's over Though I believe I was really,really close there with the educational requirements.

I just want to express my thanks to everyone on this site, especially to SusieQ and Britsimon since your advice was invaluable to me over the last year.

Thank you again and take care........

Congratulations!!!

And thanks for posting the experience, we don't get many Trinidadians here so that could be useful for future ones looking. And very interesting about the education - as it confirms other reports that even with higher education one needs to meet the high school requirement itself.

All the best for your new life in the US!

Hello fellow trini did the CO request financial information from you?

Bank statements or an affidavit of support ?

No it didn't come up but I still submitted statements from my US accounts in the banks but they still took it but I don't believe it had any impact on my case they even handed me back my US statements for UTC and RBC units when they collected the documents before the interview,(I don't think they recognize UTC & RBC units for some reason) but kept the statements for my FCB shares and US cash accounts with Scotia-bank. The most important thing is to have your paper work in order and your 5 CXC subjects at minimum and you should be good, if you have a degree don't rely on that alone, just to be safe come with everything..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.