9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I read many topics but I wasn't able to find anything about I-94 After I will get married should I renew my I-94 form? Because its only till 25 June I am confused Thank everybody

You Have 90 days to get married from the day you entered on k-1 visa. After you get married you'll be out of status until you file For AOS (adjustment of status) so do it as soon after marriage as you can. With aos pending you do not jave to worry about your i-94 being expired.

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Hi everybody,

I read many topics but I wasn't able to find anything about I-94 After I will get married should I renew my I-94 form? Because its only till 25 June I am confused Thank everybody

As the others have stated, the I-94 is your arrival/departure record and this is the document that shows your legal status in the US. You are given this by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) upon arrive in the US with an expiration date--you can get a copy here which you will need for adjustment of status (AOS). You are legally in the US until it expires. Given that you are on a K-1 visa and not a tourist visa, your situation is a bit different. You have until the I-94 expires to get married. Once you are married the I-94 does not really matter except that you are out-of-status until you get the NOA1 after filing the I-485 AOS. You have no time limit on filing the AOS except that you cannot work nor can you exit the US and re-enter until you receive your GC or advance parole (AP). You also run the risk of being detained by the CBP if you find your self at an internal check point. So that is why it is recommend that a K-1 visa holder applies for AOS ASAP after marriage, plus it allows the immigrant to begin their life in the US sooner.

The I-94 is also needed to get a social securiy number (SSN) using the K-1 visa. As long as it is more than 2 weeks from expiring, you can go to the local SSA office and apply for a SSN using the K-1 visa, foreign passport, and the I-94. Apply in the name on the visa to prevent any problems as most SSA employees are clueless about the K-1 visa. As a K-1 visa holder you are an alien eligible to work. One thing to keep in mind for the SSA employee is that the K-1 visa is no longer valid as it exipred when it was used to enter the US as it is a one entry visa. So it does not majically become a K-3 or anything else as it is null and void. All it does is show you are eligible to work and are therefore eligible for a SSN.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Dave thanks you so much for really wide help and explaining So as I got do I need still renew my I-94 after I got married? And also i have to do medical check for AOS here do you know some good doctors who doesn't rip off? Thank you one more time!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

No, you don't, actually you can't your visa is a one-time only that means you only will have that I-94. What you have to do is marry before the 90 days are over, and start your AOS (green card) process.

Even if your I-94 expires you are still able to adjust status, now I wouldn't wait for a long time because you can't do a lot of stuff like drivers license, work, peace of mind, etc, beside AOS are taking a really long time, so better start now.

About the doctors, I don't know about the ones that don't rip you off but you need to make sure that they are recognize by USCIS, On that link you can see the ones near you.

http://www.uscis.gov/tools/designated-civil-surgeons/designated-civil-surgeons.

Timeline

No, you don't, actually you can't your visa is a one-time only that means you only will have that I-94. What you have to do is marry before the 90 days are over, and start your AOS (green card) process.

Even if your I-94 expires you are still able to adjust status, now I wouldn't wait for a long time because you can't do a lot of stuff like drivers license, work, peace of mind, etc, beside AOS are taking a really long time, so better start now.

About the doctors, I don't know about the ones that don't rip you off but you need to make sure that they are recognize by USCIS, On that link you can see the ones near you.

http://www.uscis.gov/tools/designated-civil-surgeons/designated-civil-surgeons.

Thank you so much!!! Your info is really very helpful

We got married yesterday I want to go Social Security office now and start AOS But do I have to have wedding certificate in Social security office? Because I changed my last name

And how long it will take to get Social security number?

We got married yesterday I want to go Social Security office now and start AOS But do I have to have wedding certificate in Social security office? Because I changed my last name

Best thing to do is apply for the SSN in the VISA name. Less problems with untrained or poorly trained SSA employees. Once you have the SSN, you can wait for the EAD or GC and go back and change the name--assuming you file the AOS with your married name so the GC has the married name--using the GC and get the "NOT VLAID FOR WORK WITHOUT DHS AUTHORIZATION" removed at the same time. The most important thing is the number. The Marriage Certificate can be used to change your name, but too many SSA employees think that once you get married the K-1 magically becomes a K-3 or some other weird thing. Some people here on VJ have been able to use the Marriage Certificate, Foreign Passport, and I-94 form to get the SSC in the married name. Others have not been able to. Your choice, but I would recommend you get the SSN in your maiden name first.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Take the i94 with at least two weeks of validity, and your foreign passport to apply for your SSN with the name on the I94 and passport. As Dave mentioned, most at the SSA don't have a clue about the K1 process, so they usually do not recognize the marriage certificate as a legal name change document. One you have a SSN in your maiden name you can easily change the name once you receive your EAD/AP or GC which I assume you applied for in your married name. When my wife arrived, we applied for the SSN almost immediately. We did bring the marriage certificate, but ended up getting it in her maiden name since it was less hassle. We had to go back twice, once to change the name with her EAD, and once to remove the "Valid for work only" conditions after she received her GC. It wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

Getting the SSN can be helpful for getting a state driver's license, but keep in mind, that will only be valid for the length of time the I94 is valid. We applied for her Michigan license with about 70 days left on her I94 which expired at the end of the 90 days. However, once she got her EAD and GC it was a snap to renew the license.

Good Luck!

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.