Maria1985

B2 visa pending case

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi,

I am from Latin America, I came to New York on B2 visa in May the second 2014, my visa expired on November 2014 but before it expires I fill out the form I539 (in October, 2014) to extend my visa up to April 30, 2015. I did not receive the approval for my extension yet ( my case still pending). I decided to study a master degree and last month I was accepted in baruch college but in order to change my visa to F1 I need a valid I94, so what should I do?

Do I need to leave before Abril 30, 2015 and apply from my country or can I wait their approval exceeding the time I've requested in the form i539? What happened if they give me the approval on May or June, do I still have the chance to change my status to F2 ??. how many days will they give after approving my case ???

please Helllllllllllp

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What was the reason for the extension?

Yes you will be out of status if you stay beyong the requested date.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I put two reasons for the extension, the first one my brother wedding and the second my intention to apply for some universities in order to continue studying, and I provided them with all the evidences needed.

can I change my status if they send me the approval after April 30 ???????

thank you for answering

Edited by Maria1985

Timeline

You have to have status to change it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi,

I am from Latin America, I came to New York on B2 visa in May the second 2014, my visa expired on November 2014 but before it expires I fill out the form I539 (in October, 2014) to extend my visa up to April 30, 2015. I did not receive the approval for my extension yet ( my case still pending). I decided to study a master degree and last month I was accepted in baruch college but in order to change my visa to F1 I need a valid I94, so what should I do?

Do I need to leave before Abril 30, 2015 and apply from my country or can I wait their approval exceeding the time I've requested in the form i539? What happened if they give me the approval on May or June, do I still have the chance to change my status to F2 ??. how many days will they give after approving my case ???

please Helllllllllllp

Thank you

Most I-539 extension requests are answered within 90 days, you're going on 5 months plus since you sent yours. Are you sure USCIS recv'd your request? Also April 30th would put you at one year on a 6 month tourist visa, you're going to need to go home shortly no matter what the outcome of the extension request. It would be very rare to receive any extension that would allow you to stay longer than 1 year total on a 6 month visa.

Timeline

Most I-539 extension requests are answered within 90 days, you're going on 5 months plus since you sent yours. Are you sure USCIS recv'd your request? Also April 30th would put you at one year on a 6 month tourist visa, you're going to need to go home shortly no matter what the outcome of the extension request. It would be very rare to receive any extension that would allow you to stay longer than 1 year total on a 6 month visa.

yes they send me the Notice of action I-797, it is not my fault that they are taking too long to respond!, why should I pay for airplane ticket and return home and come back again to the US, if they responded my application on time I would esaily change my status to F1 without leaving the US.

Thank you

Timeline

You are assuming you would be granted an extension.

Timeline

You are assuming you would be granted an extension.

I am assuming nothing, but I have the right to be responded on time, at least I would know if I have to leave or not.

Timeline

You are dealing with US immigration.

Most cases I have seen the delay works in the favour of the person seeking an extension. If they had dealt with the extension request in a reasonable timeframe you mayhave to have left within your original date.

yes they send me the Notice of action I-797, it is not my fault that they are taking too long to respond!, why should I pay for airplane ticket and return home and come back again to the US, if they responded my application on time I would esaily change my status to F1 without leaving the US.

Thank you

I am assuming nothing, but I have the right to be responded on time, at least I would know if I have to leave or not.

No, actually you don't have a right to anything in the US because you are not a citizen or an LPR. It's time for you to go home.

No, actually you don't have a right to anything in the US because you are not a citizen or an LPR. It's time for you to go home.

That sounds a bit harsh, imo!

Ideally I'm all for visa-holders leaving the US upon expiration, but in this case, OP did apply for an extension. I'm not wading into reasons or timing of the extension filing, or OP's responsibility to follow-up; that's for OP to ponder.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

That sounds a bit harsh, imo!

Ideally I'm all for visa-holders leaving the US upon expiration, but in this case, OP did apply for an extension. I'm not wading into reasons or timing of the extension filing, or OP's responsibility to follow-up; that's for OP to ponder.

Maybe a bit harsh, but the "I have a right" attitude possessed by the op is what got that response from me. The op is very fortunate to have been here a year now on a 6 month visa and has been able to attend her brother's wedding and look for schools to attend as well. All the while taking the system for granted as if it was her right to be waited on by USCIS, it's not. What she fails to see is if USCIS had addressed her extension request within the 90 days like they normally do, she probably would not have received the full extra 6 months to stay that she is now. It's rare for USCIS to give out such long extensions for non-emergency matters. If she was approved for an extension, she probably would have been given enough time to attend the wedding and then go home. She is not entitled to come here for as long as she wants, that's not how it works.

I'm in full agreement with what you said, not in any way condoning OP's modus operandi. Maybe just the tone of "go home" struck me.

We've all seen plenty of cases here on VJ where applicants, many B-2 visitors from select countries (I wont name them, but we all know which ones) have come to have a certain level of expectation from USCIS\DoS once they've entered the US.

And, yeah, I agree, we see plenty abuse of the "max 180-day stay" with extension\CoS requests on seemingly vague, flimsy, and non-emergency premises. Followed by "I have a right", "not my fault", "how dare you question".. blahblahblah.

As I've made clear on some of my previous posts on other threads, I have no patience for someone carrying on a nearly yearlong stay on a six-month entry. I just should have been clear, i misinterpreted your tone of your comments; I support the context.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

Let me explain you something, when a non-immigrant apply for anything through immigration we pay money for it, so it´s considered as a service , we give money we receive information for that money. So dear, YES non-immigrants HAVE rights.

And for the future, if you have useful comments you are more than welcome if not please keep it to yourself .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Teddy's comments were useful and valid. Sorry, your 'rights' offended me, an immigrant, too.

Please stop preaching about what is owed to you. Be thankful you were admitted to the U.S (many people cannot) and do not take for granted this gift.

So my question to you us, since your extension request is taking along time, what are you doing about it? Are you contacting USCIS to inquire? Making an info-pass appointment? Consulting with the DSO at the school you wish to attend? Or perhaps you not taking any direct action yourself and just waiting and hoping?

Good luck

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.