2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've frequented vj quite a bit throughout my wife's visa process and learned a lot from the information given here. I do have a question that I hope someone could help answer, so here goes:

Background: My wife was recently approved for her IR-1 visa here in Seoul at the US embassy ;) Getting all the paperwork together was quite a workout, but that's a different story all together. In regards to her visa, her passport arrived by courier just the other day and we were surprised to find that her visa is only good through June 4 of this year. After doing some more research, I figured out that her visa validity was tied to her medical exam, and because she did her medical exam at the beginning of December, her visa is only valid for 6 months from that date.

So here's the problem: our housing lease isn't up until the end of June, and we have a substantial amount of money tied up within our current house (if any of you are familiar with the Korean jeonse system, you put a HUGE amount up front and live rent free for 2 years). So that said, the dates aren't quite lining up, whereas we need my wife to enter the US before June 4, and we can't move yet because our housing lease finishes at the end of June(not to mention us needing to liquidate all of our other assets/belongings here).

So here's my question: Could my wife and I go on a vacation to the US for about a week, in order to get the I-551 stamp, and then fly back to Korea on a round trip ticket? We were thinking maybe we could just take a week vacation and go to Hawaii to relax before trying to sell and liquidate everything we own in Korea (been here 6 years). Would we have any issues if the POE is different than our intended PR(PR is in southern California, vacation plan is for Honolulu)? Would we need to show an itinerary that says we're flying directly to our PR when we go through the POE?

Any help or advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks!

Your plan is completely valid. You can enter anywhere in the USA or at a pre clearance airport, it does not have to be where she intends to live. Just make sure to not spend too much time liquidating if possible (try for less than 6 months after she leaves from vacation.) Have a great POE and vacation!

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.