lileepad

K1 Visa - Proof of Ongoing Relationship

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

My fiancé is in the process of filing for my K1 Visa and we just want to be sure of the following:

1: I read on a forum here that you do not need to send proof of ongoing relationship? Such as boarding passes, pictures? Is this true?

2: If we are to send these evidences, do we send the original of say, boarding passes? Or will a photocopy of boarding passes, hotel bookings etc suffice? AND - we have currently booked and locked in our venue for our wedding in Austin. Will a copy of this booking or any other bookings made for our wedding day be good to provide to show the intent of marriage etc?

3: Also - does anyone know the average length of time it takes to get approved?

4: It is only the petitioner (my fiancé) that sends a notarised copy of his birth certificate for this initial application I-129F right?

Read this carefully: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

J1 or K1? K1 does need to send proof.

send copies.

Processing time is unpredictable, right now California center is much much faster than Texas.

About birth certificate and all other issues, READ THE LINK ABOVE.

Don't make any long term plans till visa actually in hand. Why? You can search examples here. Plenty sad stories around. The process is UNPREDICTABLE.

Edited by PDXDD

K1 VISA

06/14/2014 I-129F sent       06/16/2014 Noa1         10/14/2014 Noa2        11/07/2014 Package3         12/08/2014 embassy interview / approved!!        12/10/2014 Visa in hand

AOS

12/31/2014 I-485/I-765/I-131 sent        01/06/2015 Noa1        01/30/2015 Biometrics        02/27/2015 AP&EAD approved       07/20/2015 interview(approved on the spot!)

ROC

4/26/2017 I-751 sent        5/12/2017 Noa1       10/15/2018 interview (combo)

Citizenship

4/22/2018 N-400 sent      4/23/2018 Noa1        10/15/2018 interview (combo)+Oath ceremony! 

Timeline

Read this carefully: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

J1 or K1? K1 does need to send proof.

send copies.

Processing time is unpredictable, right now California center is much much faster than Texas.

About birth certificate and all other issues, READ THE LINK ABOVE.

Don't make any long term plans till visa actually in hand. Why? You can search examples here. Plenty sad stories around. The process is UNPREDICTABLE.

Thank you. It is K1 Fiance, I met my fiancé during my J1.

Hi all,

My fiancé is in the process of filing for my K1 Visa and we just want to be sure of the following:

1: I read on a forum here that you do not need to send proof of ongoing relationship? Such as boarding passes, pictures? Is this true?

2: If we are to send these evidences, do we send the original of say, boarding passes? Or will a photocopy of boarding passes, hotel bookings etc suffice? AND - we have currently booked and locked in our venue for our wedding in Austin. Will a copy of this booking or any other bookings made for our wedding day be good to provide to show the intent of marriage etc?

4: It is only the petitioner (my fiancé) that sends a notarised copy of his birth certificate for this initial application I-129F right?

We certainly sent evidence in the form of photographs, copies of boarding passes, and passport stamps. We even sent a few receipts/ticket stubs from our date night which matched our photos/locations. We did not send chat logs (10 years worth is a bit excessive ya know?) but we did send a photo of our engagement party, a photocopy of the ring receipt, and a copy of an engagement congrats card from his parents.

As for intent of marriage you don't need to send 'evidence' per say. The most important thing the petitioner and beneficiary need to send are the individual signed letters of intent to marry.

I would strongly encourage not locking in a venue or setting a date for a wedding at this time. Even the government encourages not to do this. The reason for this, is that there is no guarantee how fast your application will be completed. I hate to tell you, but with your location being Texas, you will be sent to the TSC for processing your case. They are so backlogged that they are only processing applications from August 2014 right now. You can expect a 6-8 month waiting time. This is subject to change of course, you never know. But this is where it stands right now.

It can be a photocopy or an actual extra copy of the petitioner's birth certificate. But it must be the long form version. Do not sent the original, you'll never get it back.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi all,

You do have to send proof of ongoing relationship. When we did my K1 visa long time ago, we had to send evidence that we met within 2 years, boarding passes, photos of our trips together, chat screenshots, etc. Otherwise how they will know yours is a real relationship and not a scam.

For proof, send COPIES not originals.

Read the links below.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide#proof

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Just so you know, don't make any wedding plans too long ahead until visa is in hand. You never know how long it can takes all the process. In 2011, mine took about 9-10 months from start to finish (visa in hand).

Timeline

We certainly sent evidence in the form of photographs, copies of boarding passes, and passport stamps. We even sent a few receipts/ticket stubs from our date night which matched our photos/locations. We did not send chat logs (10 years worth is a bit excessive ya know?) but we did send a photo of our engagement party, a photocopy of the ring receipt, and a copy of an engagement congrats card from his parents.

As for intent of marriage you don't need to send 'evidence' per say. The most important thing the petitioner and beneficiary need to send are the individual signed letters of intent to marry.

I would strongly encourage not locking in a venue or setting a date for a wedding at this time. Even the government encourages not to do this. The reason for this, is that there is no guarantee how fast your application will be completed. I hate to tell you, but with your location being Texas, you will be sent to the TSC for processing your case. They are so backlogged that they are only processing applications from August 2014 right now. You can expect a 6-8 month waiting time. This is subject to change of course, you never know. But this is where it stands right now.

It can be a photocopy or an actual extra copy of the petitioner's birth certificate. But it must be the long form version. Do not sent the original, you'll never get it back.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your response, I love details so this is super helpful.

When you said expect a 6-8 month waiting time - do you mean that is from start to finish (visa in hand approved to go to the USA)?

You do have to send proof of ongoing relationship. When we did my K1 visa long time ago, we had to send evidence that we met within 2 years, boarding passes, photos of our trips together, chat screenshots, etc. Otherwise how they will know yours is a real relationship and not a scam.

For proof, send COPIES not originals.

Read the links below.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide#proof

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Just so you know, don't make any wedding plans too long ahead until visa is in hand. You never know how long it can takes all the process. In 2011, mine took about 9-10 months from start to finish (visa in hand).

Wow!!! 9-10 months! Eek. Thanks so much for your help.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your response, I love details so this is super helpful.

When you said expect a 6-8 month waiting time - do you mean that is from start to finish (visa in hand approved to go to the USA)?

Afraid not. 6-8 month timeframe will be from when your application goes to the service center and you get your NOA1 and NOA2 (approval). Depending on additional factors such as specifics relating to your consulate (how long it will take to get your interview date) and getting your medical done before your interview, it's hard to say. To be safe, I'd add on at least a month or two, but I can't tell you how booked up/slow processing your consulate is. This is a long process I'm afraid. It shouldn't have to be this long, but due to how slow things are right now.. it is.

Plan for the long haul, and be pleasantly surprised if it's sooner.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Afraid not. 6-8 month timeframe will be from when your application goes to the service center and you get your NOA1 and NOA2 (approval). Depending on additional factors such as specifics relating to your consulate (how long it will take to get your interview date) and getting your medical done before your interview, it's hard to say. To be safe, I'd add on at least a month or two, but I can't tell you how booked up/slow processing your consulate is. This is a long process I'm afraid. It shouldn't have to be this long, but due to how slow things are right now.. it is.

Plan for the long haul, and be pleasantly surprised if it's sooner.

Thanks so much! Also, where did you find out that the Texas service centre is backlogged? Is there a website I can check for that kind of stuff?

Is it possible for us to send to another service centre - or does the lockbox send it to where my fiancé is nearest? (Sorry for my stupid questions, super new to all of this).

Thanks so much! Also, where did you find out that the Texas service centre is backlogged? Is there a website I can check for that kind of stuff?

Is it possible for us to send to another service centre - or does the lockbox send it to where my fiancé is nearest? (Sorry for my stupid questions, super new to all of this).

The knowledge that is back logged is highly seen by the fact that many of those at TSC are waiting 6-10 months for approval alone.

You cannot jump ahead of he que and get it sent to another facility which is only the CSC.

The Texas lockbox is where all petitions are sent before they are routed to either CSC or TSC.

They are based on where you live, certain states, if I can find the list I will post it.

Read this pinned thread about the process of the mailing and receiving of petitions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/538432-process-for-the-mailing-and-receiving-of-i-129f-petitions/

California Service Center: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Texas Service Center: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, West Virginia and the District of Columbia.

Edited by Cody and Daisy

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Timeline

The knowledge that is back logged is highly seen by the fact that many of those at TSC are waiting 6-10 months for approval alone.

You cannot jump ahead of he que and get it sent to another facility which is only the CSC.

The Texas lockbox is where all petitions are sent before they are routed to either CSC or TSC.

They are based on where you live, certain states, if I can find the list I will post it.

Read this pinned thread about the process of the mailing and receiving of petitions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/538432-process-for-the-mailing-and-receiving-of-i-129f-petitions/

California Service Center: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Texas Service Center: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, West Virginia and the District of Columbia.

Perfect, that answers my question. Thanks so much!

Timeline

That's true! TSC is sooo delayed! Mine was approved Dec 8 and so far been waiting for a noticed from NVC till now!

We are hitting 6months by the end of this month at TSC, as the other people say - expect it to be a long wait :(

Oh my goodness! So when did you guys initially send in your I-129F package? So still no NOA1 or NOA2?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi all,

At the USCIS step you're just proving that you actually met in person in the past 2 years. I sent photocopies of my boarding pass, photocopies of entry & exit passport stamps, and 3 photos of my fiancée and I together in her country. Our petition was approved without an RFE.

When you get to the interview at the embassy you will need to provide evidence of an ongoing relationship between when the i-129f was filed and the date of the interview.

You can take a look at Igor's list for TSC to get an idea of current processing times.

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/monthly_filers.php?form=1&visa=1&scenter=3&option=2&sortby=2

K-1

07/11/2014 - I-129F sent to Lewisville, TX lockbox via USPS

07/15/2014 - I-129F delivered

07/18/2014 - NOA1 email/text, $340 deducted from my checking account, Alien Registration Number changed

07/24/2014 - NOA1 (I-797C) received in the mail with a notice date of July 17, 2014

12/09/2014 - USCIS website case status update notification "Initial review" saying case was received on July 15, 2014

01/28/2015 - NOA2 email/text, website update "Case Was Approved"

02/02/2015 - USCIS online update "Case Was Sent To The Department of State"

02/05/2015 - NOA2 (I-797) received in the mail

02/11/2015 - Case received by NVC

02/13/2015 - Called NVC and received case number

02/18/2015 - Case left NVC for Caracas

02/19/2015 - Case "Ready"

04/28/2015 - Interview - Approved!!!

04/30/2015 - Visa status "Issued"

05/15/2015 - Visa received

05/22/2015 - POE - Miami

06/14/2015 - Married!

AOS

06/30/2015 - I-485/I-765/I-131 sent to Chicago via USPS

07/02/2015 - I-485/I-765/I-131 delivered

07/07/2015 - NOA1 email/text, $1070 deducted from my checking account, USCIS website case status "Fingerprint Fee Was Received"

07/11/2015 - NOA1 (I-797C) received in the mail with a notice date of July 7, 2015

07/28/2015 - Biometrics

09/03/2015 - I-765/I-131 approved

09/08/2015 - I-765/I-131 card mailed

09/10/2015 - EAD/AP combo card received

10/31/2015 - I-485 status updated to "Welcome Notice Was Mailed"

11/03/2015 - I-485 status updated to "Card Was Mailed To Me"

11/05/2015 - Green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.