SR_ZJ

Letter to Congressman/woman

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

You don't have to write a letter. You can go to his or her web page and submit a message. Also, you can probably find a phone number to call. They'll have a staffer dedicated to helping constituents deal with other government agencies.

That said, don't expect great results. USCIS isn't funded by Congress and doesn't treat them much differently than they treat us. It was different a few years ago, according to my Congressman's office. Now they readily admit that they just can't be effective with USCIS.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Agreed. Many congressmen/women have stated they have no way to affect a USCIS petition any longer.

That said some have had either downright luck or coincidental luck with contacting theirs.

I was a July 2014 filer and after we hit 5 months I contacted my state's Senator. Their office was amazing - they got back to me promptly, followed up with USCIS on our behalf numerous times and kept me up to date on our case. "Coincidentally" two days after I spoke with my contact at the Senator's office and she strongly inquired on our behalf (we were a few days shy of 7 months), we had an approval. Surprisingly she continued to follow up for us until it hit the London embassy this past week. She contacted NVC on our behalf, asked for updates, and sent them along to me. Granted I was already on top of all of that myself, but it was extremely helpful and comforting to know that someone at least cared besides my fiance and I.

So really it comes down to how much effort your Senator or Congressman is willing to put into it. Some just accept USCIS's canned message and pass it along as "shucks, I can't do anything, sorry." I personally wrote a letter stating our information, case number, and expressing my frustration at the inconsistent processing times (we were at TSC).

Either way do whatever makes you feel better. If it feels like you are progressing by following up and giving it a shot, go for it. There's some templates of letters floating about the site, try the search function for 'senator letters' or 'congressman letters'. Just don't expect too much from it and if you are pleasantly surprised that's great! If you do decide to take that route - check your Senator or Congressman's website first. Most have a consent form you will need to give them in order for them to contact USCIS on your behalf. It helps to send this along with the letter to speed it up because they will not do anything until they have the signed consent form.

Good luck!

Edited by Megan & Luke

Our K-1 at Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent: 07-02-14 (USPS Overnight Express)
I-129F Rcvd: 07-03-14
NOA1: 07-08-14

NOA1 Hardcopy: 07-14-14

ARN Changed: 07-16-14

NOA2: 01-23-15 (199 days)

Sent to NVC: 01-27-15

NOA2 Hardcopy: 01-30-15 (No consulate listed, inquiry opened)

NVC Received: 02-06-15 (Case # assigned)

NVC Sent: 02-19-15

London Embassy Received: 02-23-15

Readiness Submitted: 03-02-2015

Packet 3 Received: 03-03-2015

Packet 4 Received: 03-12-2015

Medical: 03-04-15 (Passed)

Interview: 04-10-2015 (Approved!)

Visa Issued: 04-15-2015

Visa In Hand: 04-21-2015

POE: 05-03-2015

Wedding: July 10, 2015

3,419 miles (L) Distance means nothing when your heart says "I love you"

YVjFm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Someone else on VJ had good success with CT Senator Murphy's office. You might want to start with that office. That same person also wasn't too thrilled with CT's other Senatorial office.

Thread mentioning CT senators is here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/481749-january-2014-tsc-filers/page-71

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Timeline

Congress-persons must first get an authorization from the petitioner to make enquiries

They can mainly obtain current status by their special email address & num. used for USCIS

they cannot sway decisions or move things faster. there are coincidences at times.

You will be directed to contact the congress-person that covers the zip code of petitioner

you can find that online.

The laison will make contact (most) when they get the authorization in

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

They need the privacy release form from the petitioner to make specific inquiries about a particular case, yes, but not to make general ones, such as a complaint regarding processing times imbalances.

9/8/14 - I129F petition sent to the USCIS lockbox via USPS
9/11/14 - Petition received @ USCIS lockbox
9/11/14 - NOA1 Email and text message received
9/15/14 - NOA1 Official notice date
9/18/14 - NOA1 hard copy received
12/9/14 - "Updated" likely because of website repairs, like many of us received
4/20/15 - NOA2 text and email (221 days)

4/29/15 - Sent to the NVC (9 days)

5/8/15 - Arrived at the NVC (9 days)

5/13/15 - Left the NVC (5 days)

5/15/15 - Electronic version arrived at the embassy (2 days)

5/20/15 - Paper copy arrived at the embassy (7 days)

6/4/15 - Status changed to AP (which meant that we could schedule the interview)

6/16/15 - Medical

6/17/15 - K1 APPROVED!!!!

6/30/15 - Passport and sealed envelope delivered via courier

Filed: Timeline

Complaints on time is to be taken up with the ombudsman

and it has to be well over 6 mths waiting or the current

timeline issued by USCIS...Congress-person can question status

not timeline, they are mainly told PENDING ,if recently approved

and applicant not yet informed they will inform that liason.at times

they call the same day or day after approval and many think the

congress-person did it...nope

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Complaints on time is to be taken up with the ombudsman

and it has to be well over 6 mths waiting or the current

timeline issued by USCIS...Congress-person can question status

not timeline, they are mainly told PENDING ,if recently approved

and applicant not yet informed they will inform that liason.at times

they call the same day or day after approval and many think the

congress-person did it...nope

I'm over six months, but they keep moving the damn goal post for the timeline.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.